• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Red Hand of Doom - advice fora player

npiccini

Explorer
I am not interested in any spoilers or cheating advice, but my DM is about to send us up to destroy the bridge at Skull Gorge. My group is a Dwarven Fighter, a Half-Orc Fighter, a Human Cleric, a Human Wizard and a Halfling Rogue - all sixth level. I have had the opportunity to scout out the area to see what im facing, but im curious if anyone that has run the encounter or played through it can give me any advice on how to best approach the assault?

kiznit

Explorer
I just ran this encounter for my group. One character death, and the main baddie got away, but the group managed to take it on and secure the bridge. Do you really want us to spoil it for you? What level of hint are you looking for?

Here's the most obvious I can offer. Assuming you guys know what's at stake, you're headed up there to destroy a bridge, not necessarily to kill everything there.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
kiznit said:
Here's the most obvious I can offer. Assuming you guys know what's at stake, you're headed up there to destroy a bridge, not necessarily to kill everything there.

That's good advice. I ran this for a group and they balked when they saw the main baddie, then slinked off to delay the horde in other ways. You've (npiccini) got a good group to handle the destruction of the bridge, I think. Just a matter of looking at who and what your group is made of and deciding which ones have the necessary talents to figure out how to get the job done, then doing it.

Xath

Moder-gator
Our wizard beefed up the party. The rogue and fighters in the party went up and distracted the big baddies, and then the cleric "locate object"ed the keystone, and "stone shaped" it so that it wouldn't support the weight of the bridge anymore. Everyone then used their pre-planned methods to hastily reach the other side of the gorge.

Concentrate all fire on the super star destroyer!

. . . It's a trap!

(Well, it's not really. But I love that line.)

If you're planning to scout, do so at night. And if you have Knowledge (architecture and engineering), be happy. This will probably be the only time it ever comes up in a D&D game.

Remove ads