• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Red Larch and Tomb of Annihilation

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, I wrestled with the fact that the cool undead dino jungle adventure isn't here yet. And so I vaguely started out using the low-level stuff around Red Larch as the summer entertainment, hoping that I can transition into Tomb when that gets released. (Not really interested in the Elemental Evil here).

But how to make the jump (with the same characters)? I wouldn't be surprised if the adventure addresses how you might go about sailing to Chult from the Sword Coast, but
a) I don't know it will and b) I don't have that info now

So I settled on a Realms staple - the good old magic portal. I'm sure the heroes can find one that just happens to lead to Chult somehow...

That assumption was way too pessimistic.

I should have simply expected every adventure idea I can think of in the Realms to already be covered :D:D:D

---

See, I just stumbled upon this gem from 2015:

http://my-realms.blogspot.se/2015/06/dessarin-valley-sandbox-2-red-larch.html

It's a blog post about sandboxing Red Larch. Okay. Check.
It does all the research about earlier AD&D material on the town and environs. Check.
It turns out the Red Larch inn is infamous (to Elminster, at any rate) for secret passages and ... wait for it... portals. Double check?! :p
There's a mystery in that the previous owners, the Taskaloath sisters, just disappeared. Check.
It even specifically mentions a portal to Chult. Frikkin check!!!! :n::heh::n:

And that is why I love the Realms. You never have to do anything, it's all this YUGE smorgasboard ready for the takin' :):):)

Now I will appear to be a highly learned Realms sage that sets his adventures in historically appropriate locations, fully respecting obscure realmslore from 27 years ago. With close to zero effort!! :cool::cool::cool:

I do find that the Realms are pretty easy to run in, for this reason. No matter the place, with five minutes work you can find something interesting to draw upon in game.

ccs

41st lv DM
I don't think it's any coincidence at all that the Red Larch in contains a portal to Chult.
Or mentions strange attackers who come by night (drow).

Remember, WoTC has TOLD you that they have 5+ years of story planned out. And that hints of these are contained in throughout the PHB, DMG, MM, & other products.
You could argue that the hints start right on the covers of the 3 core books. King Snurre on the PHB, Acererak on the DMG, & Xanathar on the MM.

Even the little disclaimer on the inside cover page of the PHB has come to pass in print.
Splitting the party & saying Yes to the DM are just constants. But:
Sticking appendiges in the mouth of leering green demons? Check - Yawning Portal & soon Tomb.
Accepting dinner invites from bugbears? Check - Caves of Chaos playtest & the coming B2 reprint.
Angering dragons? Check - not counring rhe playtest, have they released an adventure yet without a dragon encounter somewhere in the book?

hopeless

Adventurer
Hmm was looking at starting a campaign using the Murder in Baldur's Gate adventure would it hurt if I linked that with the Apocalypse Tomb so whilst that demi-lich was responsible for building it, it's actually Bhaal's fault?

God of murder restoring himself, artefact draining souls to create new gods actually playing a part in all of the inbetween adventures so Curse of Strahd is the viewpoint from those stuck inside the Soulmonger so it is possible to escape, the Storm King's Queen is one such victim giving another reason to jump into the new adventure.

Lord how many ways are there to interweave the various adventures?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads