Redesigning the Reviews Page

Warchild

First Post
I'm more worried about the fact that i just saw a review get put up 3 times for the same product!!! And it counted!!!!!!

How do you fix a server-screw up like that and more importantly...has it happened before?????

That not good.

poilbrun

Explorer
There is one thing I'd really love: the ability to search only for PDF products...

I'm a great fan of pdf products, and if I could have a listing with reviews of the books that have been published like this, it would really be great!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The coding is underway. May take a few weeks, though. Here's the list I put togther from this thread (I includined things I like the look of and though were feasible):

1) A list of upcoming products sorted by date.

2) Breakdowns of products by 'type' - adventure, rulebook etc.

3) Replace the top ten lists with a single top twenty list? Add a top ten publisher list?

4) Initial screen for each publisher more reminiscent of the current d20 Guide than the current Reviews page. One page per publisher, click on products for more detailed info, image, reviews etc.

5) For the authors of a review to be e-mailed when they get a comment.

6) Las 10 -- or last 20 -- products released (or last two months, whatever).

7) Rework the overall rating calculation (somehow).

8) Ability to give half a score, like 3.5 instead of having to pick either a 3 or 4.

9) Colour coding or some other visual aid to indicate when an item is... available, not yet published but has a set release date, cancelled, out of print, is not available and has no set release date, comes out periodically (like a magazine, etc.), overdue.

10) Author info for each product.

11) Link to buy product at the online store.

12) Something to eliminate 4-line reviews. A mimimum word count, or a 'rate this review' feature?

Note that not all of these will necessarily make it, but that's what we're aiming for.

KDLadage

Explorer
1) A list of upcoming products sorted by date.
Good one. I am looking forward to this.

2) Breakdowns of products by 'type' - adventure, rulebook etc.
Another good one I am looking forward too...

3) Replace the top ten lists with a single top twenty list? Add a top ten publisher list?
Given the number of products in teh database, rather than sticking to a single number, how about the TOP 10% listing -- thus, if you have 300 items in the database, it rates the top 30... This would keep things dynamic and not exclude too many good products. I would say the same thing for the publishers listing as well.

4) Initial screen for each publisher more reminiscent of the current d20 Guide than the current Reviews page. One page per publisher, click on products for more detailed info, image, reviews etc.
Not sure here; but it could be a good thing.

5) For the authors of a review to be e-mailed when they get a comment.
YES!

6) Last 10 -- or last 20 -- products released (or last two months, whatever).
Go with time.

7) Rework the overall rating calculation (somehow).
I personally think that the SQRT(MEAN x MEDIAN) is teh way to go. Gives an honest rating, does not allow a single outlier to kill a product (or boost it too much).

8) Ability to give half a score, like 3.5 instead of having to pick either a 3 or 4.
I guess if you are going to do this, I would say double the ratings and go with a 1-10 scale; half point ratings seem artificial to me. Not sure why, when the overall effect is the same.

9) Colour coding or some other visual aid to indicate when an item is... available, not yet published but has a set release date, cancelled, out of print, is not available and has no set release date, comes out periodically (like a magazine, etc.), overdue.
OK.

10) Author info for each product.
Cool.

11) Link to buy product at the online store.
Sure.

12) Something to eliminate 4-line reviews. A mimimum word count, or a 'rate this review' feature?
Not sure here. When you open reviews to everyone, you open them to 4-line reviews. It is simply something we will have to deal with. Anything like a rate-the-review system creates more problems than it solves, in my opinion.

Note that not all of these will necessarily make it, but that's what we're aiming for.
Fully understood.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I like the idea of either half-point ratings, because it makes the sqr(mean*median) formula more meaningful - when the top 7 products all have the same median, it's not very infomative.

Why not 1-10 ratings? Likely so the existing ratings could stay...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
CRGreathouse said:

Why not 1-10 ratings? Likely so the existing ratings could stay...

Exactly. Doubling the ratings won't work - all the 5s should not necessarily be 10s, and all the 1s should not necessarily be 2s. All the 3s (average) should not necessarily by 6s (above average).

MythandLore

First Post
Morrus said:

Exactly. Doubling the ratings won't work - all the 5s should not necessarily be 10s, and all the 1s should not necessarily be 2s. All the 3s (average) should not necessarily by 6s (above average).
Good point.
One persons 3/5 could be 7/10 but to another person it might mean 5/10.

Remove ads