D&D General Redoing Rod of 7 parts history

GwaihirAgain

Explorer
Im redoing the Ro7P for my current campaign, which makes heavy use of Van Richtens Guide to Ravenloft. The characters will move between several Demi-planes of dread seeking to stay out of the reach of several groups trying to recover the rod. I like the idea of keeping the big bad as a spider, because I may just turn it into Lloth toward the end of the campaign. At this point Im a little fuzzy of why the PCs would want to reassemble it, but Im sure it has something to do with Azalin Rex.

Heres how Ive changed the background. Looking for more input or ideas please

G

Rod of the Archmage Vaati. - In ancient times, a mighty Demon known as the Chaos Spider, arose to dominate the shadowfell, Vaati the archmage constructed the rod of law and ventured forth to defeat her. As he fatally stabbed the Chaos Spider, the Rod was blown into seven parts and scattered across the planes. Many of them fell into the shadowfell, and eventually into the realms of dread. The Agents of the now missing Azalin Rex seek the Rod to heal their land from the shroud. The cowled wizards of Athkatla seek it because they believe it will help them open Vaati’s Tome, which they have recovered and supposedly holds a wealth of magical knowledge.

I think the easiest might be, during character creation, ask the players to pick one of the factions and why each character is a LOYAL member of that faction.

Make a list of factions, and give each faction some cool ability that the party will get if they choose them during character creation. Make it a tough choice, so there's real weight - choosing one benefit means giving up access to other good benefits. Make all the other factions rivals and not just enemies - maybe make some sessions about aiding Faction C against Faction B, only for a few sessions later making a decision between choosing between those YMMV

Remove ads