D&D 3E/3.5 Regenerate is useless in 3E. Why does it exist?

ForceUser

Explorer
What a lemon of a 7th level spell! How did this one slip through the cracks?

The subject's severed body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even heads of multiheaded creatures), broken bones, and ruined organs grow back.
Since when is there a need to replace missing body parts in 3rd edition? Damage is abstract! The only weapon in D&D that specifically severs a member is a vorpal sword, and when it takes off your head you die, voiding the need for this spell! Yes yes, there are other, lesser uses of regenerate, but this is where I remind you it is a 7th-level spell.

Aside from house rules or your DM being a jerk and lopping off a limb for "descriptive purposes," can anyone point me to a circumstance in the core rules where the ability to regrow specific body parts is useful or necessary? Thanks.

Kodam

First Post
Filling a hole...

To get your Arm back, that was broken off while you were petrified. ;)

Or imagine a special trap that smashes the Fingers or cuts off your feet...

Its mostly a flavor spell I think. Just a explanation, how the Beholder got his chopped-off eyes back. Not a spell you're going to see or even use that often. But its still important to have it.

Last edited:

Jhyrryl

First Post
It's not like a cleric has to make any kind of agonizing decision about this kind of thing - they aren't wizards who only gain access to a very limited list of spells each level. Sure, no one's ever going to keep it memorized - but in those situations where its going to be needed (because of a DM ruling 98% of the time), it's important to understand where such an effect would be balanced, and more importantly, it's important that the players not have to spend time researching something that, were D&D worlds "real", would most likely already exist (commoners/laborers loose limbs as a result of daily routine all the time.)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I completely agree with you. I modified the rules for Vorpal weapons and special abilities so that the Regeneration spell might have a use on occasion. Since they didn't include the Sword of Sharpness in the new edition of D&D, there wasn't much need for it anymore.

MangahunterD

First Post
A lot of gamers it seems use a version of a hit location table for critical hits. I think it is a rule that was overlooked in the new edition in it entirety because it does make sense to have impairments for a well placed shot, if you survive that is...
If your group doesn't use one you should try because it adds a whole new facet to the gmae and can make for some great role-playing moments.

mmu1

First Post
MangahunterD said:
A lot of gamers it seems use a version of a hit location table for critical hits. I think it is a rule that was overlooked in the new edition in it entirety because it does make sense to have impairments for a well placed shot, if you survive that is...
If your group doesn't use one you should try because it adds a whole new facet to the gmae and can make for some great role-playing moments.

It was certainly not "overlooked"... D&D combat is abstract, and as long as you have 1 hit point, you're not badly hurt at all. (you're exhausted, bruised and barely able to defend yourself) The only blow that really does massive damage is the one that kills you. Therefore, it makes absolutely no sense to lose limbs on critical hits.

drnuncheon

Explorer
There are ways to lose limbs that are not in combat, you know.

In two games I've been involved in, a captured spellcaster has had his tongue cut out to prevent him from casting. Cutting off a hand was a common punishment for stealing in some cultures. Ears are often used as trophies or to collect bounties. Eyes could be put out as torture (or if you mistakenly think that the dusty prune you found behind the fridge is in reality the Eye of Vecna...but then you deserve to be called 'Patch' for the rest of your life.)

So, despite the lack of a called shot/crit system, the spell can have its uses in the story.

J

Mercule

Adventurer
drnuncheon said:
(or if you mistakenly think that the dusty prune you found behind the fridge is in reality the Eye of Vecna...but then you deserve to be called 'Patch' for the rest of your life.)

Well, now. That puts a whole new spin on the moniker 'prune face', doesn't it?

Endur

First Post
In pre-3.0 games, there were various magic items and monsters besides the sword of sharpness that could destroy a limb. Rod of Withering, etc. I'm not sure if any of those pre 3.0 magic items still have that impact, however.

Destil

Explorer
There's still damage to locations rules in the DMG for traps and such...

Just because the normal combat system dosn't need it dosn't mean it's not useful.

Remove ads