D&D 3E/3.5 Regenerate is useless in 3E. Why does it exist?

Verdigris

First Post
In general, I think "Regeneration" is a bit of fluff spell, but I agree with the arguments about it filling a niche that a Cleric can afford (but a Wizard wouldn't get near).

I am reminded of a trap I just read about in AD&D Temple of Elemental Evil. It says something like this, "When the PCs put their arms over the sill to grab the magic stone, a scythe blade chops them off." (I don't think theres even a save)

It *is* a bit wierd to have limbs only fall off through withering spells, scythe traps and the like, considering that PCs are constantly being hacked and chopped at by blades. Oh well.

Regarding other spell oddities, I was chuckling to myself at all of the high level plant-centric spells for the Druid. I mean, how often do plants need to be controlled, commanded and/or spoken to in a campaign? Infrequently enough, I would say, to make a whole host of Druid spells a bit pointless. "Communicate with Plants" or whatever it is called is a fourth level spell or something absurd.

Here's what a typical plant conversation would probably sound like:

PC: So, shrub, which way did the evil bugbears go?

Plant: May I have some water?

PC: We're they dragging the princess by her hair or carrying her in a sack?

Plant: you're standing in my sunlight...

ForceUser

Explorer
Since it is a 7th-level spell, I am toying with the idea of adding to it some combat potential, specifically, a troll's regeneration for 1 round or 1 minute per level. That would give it some coolness but not constant overpowered coolness since, even at 20th-level, you've got very few 7th-level spells per day. Does this seem appropriate to anyone else?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Verdigris said:

PC: So, shrub, which way did the evil bugbears go?

Plant: May I have some water?

PC: We're they dragging the princess by her hair or carrying her in a sack?

Plant: you're standing in my sunlight...

PC: Answer or I'll hammer a copper nail into you. I'm told it's a death that can take weeks.

Plant: Don't hurt me! I'll tell! But it wasn't me ok? That bugbear druid is one mean SOB!

Anybody else imagining a scene like those 20's gangster movies, where two druids are interrogating a plant sitting in a chair? Only instead of shining a bright light in the guys face, they're holding a shade between the only window and the shrub...

Beyond that - speak with plants CAN be useful, and since you're a druid, it doesn't really cost you anything to know the spell.

Remove ads