D&D 5E Reliable Talent and Disadvantage - order of precedence?

Li Shenron

Legend
Just to share the numbers I came up with in examining this all before:

(Rolling: Average)

Flat d20: 10.5
Disadv.: 7.175

RT (Flat d20): 12.75
Disadv. & RT (1 die only): 8.7125
Disadv. & RT (both dice): 10.9625

So, with a normal roll, disadvantage decreases the average result by 3.325
But, if you have RT, with disadvantage, and applying RT to only one of the two dice, the average decreases by 4.0375!

In other words, disadvantage hurts you more if you have RT than if you don't. It seems like if you have RT disadvantage should not impact you as much as if you didn't have RT.

Now, if you allow RT to apply to both dice rolled when you have disadvantage, the average only decreases by 1.7875. THAT makes more sense to me.

Not at all.

Without disadvantage, RT increases from 10.5 to 12.75 which is approximately a proportional +21% increase.

With disadvantage (defaulting a single d20 to 10), RT increases from 7.125 to 8.7125 which is about +22%.

With disadvantage (defaulting both to 10), RT increases from 7.125 to 10.9625 which is about +54%.

That's just to say that twisting numbers to "prove" your point is easy. That's what politicians and spin doctors do all the time.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You started a new thread? You act fast!
Old thread. Here:

:D

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
As far as I'm concerned when reading reliable talent is that it is checking each d20. Each roll is a d20 roll. Each roll that is 1-9 is treated as a 10. This would be the same whether a check has disadvantage, advantage, or neither. Basically, the lowest a rogue can roll is a 10, unless they choose otherwise (such as a halfling rolling a 1 who decides to reroll.

Remove ads