Religion on ENWorld

GentleGiant

Explorer
I have a couple of concerns about the, in my perception, double standards being enforced about talking about religion on the boards (well, mostly the off-topic boards).
Now, it seems to me that talking about religion in any kind of negative or inquisitory way is a very strict no-no. But apparently it's okay to espouse one's religious views when it's "used for good," so to speak.

This is just a very small and "innocent" example (other examples almost border on "repent and embrace JESUS as your saviour!" bible thumping speeches), but it's something that irks me to no end:
Thankfully, I now live at peace with myself. No more stress. Stress happens when you think about the pressures of life too often. If you let them go and have faith, life becomes much easier. I know from experience.
Emphasis mine.

Why is it okay to bless people, say prayers for them (or people they know), "congratulate" (I'm lacking a better word) on certain religious holidays and advising people to embrace faith, while it's not okay to e.g. ask about why someone feel certain things are not okay according to their interpretation of their religion?

It seems like it should be a catch-all rule. No talk about religion, whether in favour or against it.

Or am I totally alone in this way of thinking?
Note: I'm not against giving good advice to people, just keep out the religious context.

Crothian

First Post
Faith does not alway equal religion. The quote is out of context so I can't be sure which way it is meant.

But the rules of the boards are really not written in stone, and the mods don't see and read everythings. So, I bet its not being commented on because no one reading it cares. I imagine most problems are reported and the mods learn about them that way, no one reports it odds are the mods won't see it.

GentleGiant

Explorer
Crothian said:
Faith does not alway equal religion. The quote is out of context so I can't be sure which way it is meant.

But the rules of the boards are really not written in stone, and the mods don't see and read everythings. So, I bet its not being commented on because no one reading it cares. I imagine most problems are reported and the mods learn about them that way, no one reports it odds are the mods won't see it.
Well, this poster has previously posted more clearly religious (Christian) influenced posts. As I said, the above is fairly "innocent" in this regard, but still an indicator of something that irks me. Especially since it's such a "small" reference.
And the fact that I'm commenting on it is clearly a statement that someone cares, namely me in this instance ;)

GentleGiant

Explorer
Crothian said:
then you need to use a report the post button if you find a post that bothers you.
Or use the Meta forum, which is what I'm doing.
"Post comments and questions about the messageboards and other parts of EN World. If you have a problem, this is where to go." (yes, I know it's mostly meant as technical problems, although it doesn't specify it as such).
Also, I think it's something that needs to be pointed out to a larger audience. Reporting single posts doesn't accomplish that.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think GentleGiant raises an excellent point. I recently had my sig file altered without my knowledge or approval by moderators, who informed me by email after the fact that it was causing problems. Kai Lord's sig file, which is also religious, has never been clipped, though I find it offensive.

Crothian

First Post
Alzrius said:
I think GentleGiant raises an excellent point. I recently had my sig file altered without my knowledge or approval by moderators, who informed me by email after the fact that it was causing problems. Kai Lord's sig file, which is also religious, has never been clipped, though I find it offensive.

And have you reported it? This is an issue to take up with the mods who edited the sig really.

Crothian

First Post
GentleGiant said:
Also, I think it's something that needs to be pointed out to a larger audience. Reporting single posts doesn't accomplish that.

And it needs to be pointed to a larger audience why?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
These things need to be reported. These days I have zero tolerance for "why have you allowed this?" questions regarding things I've never seen or heard about. Even with the example above, I'm none the wiser, because I don't have the faintest idea where you saw that.

That said, the words "have faith" do not equate to religious discussion, unless there's more that you haven't posted. It certainly wouldn't ring any "religion alarm bells" with me on its own. I have plenty of faith in plenty of things, none of which are religious!

[And, incidentally -- that wasn't a request for a link in this thread. When we moderate someone we do it privately if possible, so as not to embarrass them or create a public spectacle. Please report the post and we'll deal with it if it seems necessary].

Last edited:

Remove ads