Rel's Faded Glory III: Glory Reborn (FINAL UPDATE 6/22 - SHE'S DONE, BABY!!)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Cathal said:
(it's been an hour...where's mah update!?)

Got distracted by the wife. ;)

Plus, this ran a bit longer than I thought it would:

“Could they be headed for the Fodor lands?” wondered Lazarius aloud.

“If they are then they’re far more stupid than they’ve acted so far,” said Cathal. “Not only does it make no sense to build such a fleet of ships when they only need to walk down out of the mountains, but they are bringing a much larger army than they’d need to defeat my people. Another thousand like they sent last winter would do easily given how many men we lost.”

Marcus’ face darkened, “They’re headed for the Empire. It’s the only other place that makes sense.”

Speaks shook his head, “But why attack the Empire? They’re no threat to the City of Endless Summer. Nobody is a threat to the City. So why strike at the only country that is capable of mounting an army capable of defending against a force as large as theirs?”

Marcus knew. “Revenge. The Empire contains everyone who joined forces to bring down Bane. And now they’re going to try and break him free of his prison. And what would make him happier than to have those who brought him low in the first place come under attack by his worshipers?”

Recognition crept into Speaks’ face. “You’re right. The Druids, the church of St. Cuthbert, the church of Pelor, all are based in the Empire. In fact all three have risen to prominence in part because they helped defeat Bane three centuries ago.”

“Well they’re going to get a hell of a fight!” Lazarius’ eyes burned. “I’ve been assigned to the Legions and know those in charge of the Imperial War College. They are a powerful force and no army of Orcs is going to pose much of a threat to the might of the Empire. Our big problem will be the same as the Slave War. We’ll have to watch closely to make sure the Sythians don’t take advantage and try to hit us while we’re distracted!”

Speaks’ brow was furrowed in concentration. “Perhaps. But having faced the Banelar before, they are a cunning enemy. I don’t think they’d be launching this attack if they didn’t think they’d succeed.”

Marcus stood from where they sat. “What is important right now is that we’re the only people in the world who know what is headed toward the Empire. We’ve got to make sure that we get back there to warn them. That means surviving the night. I’ll take first watch.” He walked away as the others continued their speculation even as they spread out their bedrolls in a rough circle around the statue of Marius.

Marcus walked to the cart track that ran down the long tunnel back toward the City and stood astride it. He focused his attention in that direction and stood still to quiet his armor, listening for any sign of an enemy approach. He was still standing there some two hours later when Cathal came to relieve him of his watch.

“I won’t sleep long,” he told the Brigante. He never did. The magical ring, bequeathed to him by the Church, kept him ever fed, never thirsty, briefly tired. “I only need a couple hours and I’ll be back to aid you in your watch. We should let the others sleep to rest their minds and regain their magic.” Cathal nodded and took up a position crouched at the edge of the tunnel.

Marcus lay down and said a silent prayer to his god. ”Guide me, my lord, and let me bring warning to those who must hear my words to defend our Church against these coming invaders. Give me strength to stand against them and to again defeat the enemy who you once saved our world from. And let me stand guardian before those innocents who this enemy would cut down for the sake of revenge.” Then he slept. But he did not rest.

A door stood before him. He could not tell if it was a plain door or an ornate door, iron or wood because it did not matter. It only mattered that there was a door and that he needed to pass through it. Since it was needed, he did it.

Beyond was a hallway and beyond that was a room full of light. The hallway was of no consequence and then he was in the room.

In the room was a light who was a woman and she was what mattered. She looked at him and if she had been a woman, she would have said, “I see you have come.” But she was not a woman, only a light in the shape of a woman. And so she did not greet him because it was not needed.

“Evil descends up our world. You will stand against this evil because you have the power and the will to do so. How and where you shall stand against it will be something you shall decide later. What you will be when you stand against it is something that you shall decide here, tonight, in this place that is no place at all. Do you understand?”

But he did not. There was so much that he did not understand but was afraid to ask but needed to know. And because he needed it she gave it without him asking.

In the beginning, the planes were populated by entities of unfathomable power. One of these entities, who came to be known in time as Osirion, called into creation a place where chaos was tamed and objects and creatures took on a less mutable form: The Prime Material Plane. There he began to whimsically create objects of beauty like stars and planets and comets. He toyed with these creations to pass the eons and soon became aware that some of them were developing in ways that he had not foreseen.

On one of his little spheres, creatures had formed and begun to differentiate into various races. Osirion watched in interest. Time passed and these races began to produce some truly unique individuals. Some of these individuals managed to find ways to transcend the Prime Material Plane and become independent of its rules and confines. They tapped the powers of the multiverse and became gods. They could come and go as they pleased and work their will on the world.

As they became more numerous, the desires of these gods would often clash and there was sometimes open warfare between them. The devastation wrought upon the world was legendary. Whole tribes of humanoids or villages of demi-humans were wiped out by the direct power of the gods. Sometimes the gods themselves would clash and the world would be ripped asunder, barely able to recover. Civilizations would rise only to be smashed back into dark ages when gods would collide above them.

Not wishing to see his beautiful creation destroyed before his very eyes, Osirion gathered the gods together and offered them a pact: If they would vow never to directly intervene in the affairs of the Prime Material Plane, he would give up his own power and imbue them with it. This power was that of true immortality. They accepted his offer and Osirion vanished and his power became that of the gods.

The gods were of course not content to stand by and refrain from meddling in the affairs of the world. They quickly divided into three camps and began crafting realms of their own. The gods of Good created Celestia and the Celestials. The gods of Evil created Hell and the Demons and Devils that inhabited it. The gods of Neutrality created the dream world populated by Spirits. These agents of the gods could be sent to do their bidding in the material world. But this was not without a cost.

The gods had unwittingly crafted these servants in such a way that they required Essence. Essence came in the form of whatever power had formed them (Good, Evil or Neutrality). The gods found that they themselves produced this Essence slowly but there was another way to get it. When the races of the world worshipped them and made sacrifices to them, it produced Essence. The gods quickly set about making rules for their worshipers designed to produce the largest amount of Essence. Those who obeyed these rules most closely were rewarded as the gods had their Servants grant them powers to use in the service of their gods.

It did not take long before the various temples discovered that one way to forward their god’s plans (and thwart those of his enemies) was to attack the worshippers of other gods directly. Various “Holy Wars” have been part of the different religions ever since.

One such Holy War of importance was the one against the worshippers of Bane that took place some 300 years ago. His faithful had begun to corrupt the worshippers of other temples and they were figuring out ways to siphon off some of the Essence dedicated to the other gods and channel it to Bane. When this was discovered, those who worshipped the gods in question were enraged. They called for a Holy War against Bane and it was widely taken up. His worshippers were hunted down and slain and his temples were torn down stone by stone.

Bane could see that his supply of Essence was suddenly threatened when he had just been so close to domination. Driven to rage, he violated the pact that the gods had forged thousands of years before: He exerted his power directly upon the Prime Material Plane.

He cunningly forged a refuge for his followers in such a way that they could gather and plot and plan, beyond the reach of the minions of the other gods. He crafted this sanctuary in a place that would come to be known as The City of Endless Summer.

The other gods banded together to exact retribution for this transgression. Bane was smote down by St. Cuthbert and a tomb was crafted in the deepest depths of Hell. It seems an odd place to imprison a god of Evil, but it was feared that any other place would be tainted by the presence of his Tomb. It was fashioned to be impervious to the Essence so that Bane could not use his influence to barter with the Demons and Devils of Hell. Being selfish creatures themselves, they saw no need to come to his aid now that he had nothing with which to reward them.

That left the City of Endless Summer as the last bastion of the faithful to Bane. His power had rendered it impervious to attempts to see or travel into it with magic. It was located in the most remote of locations where the weather conditions were most harsh so that it was exceedingly unlikely to be discovered. The Servants of the other gods held little sway in a land so blackened by hate. And so the City has remained undiscovered for three centuries. Until now.

Now Bane’s faithful have burst from their hiding and are loose upon the world. Worse yet, thousands of his worshipers were slain and their souls dedicated to one of the Devil Lords of Hell in exchange for his minions destroying the Tomb of Bane. If he is set free, he will be weak. But he will be free. What he will attempt then, we cannot guess. Our battle against him may be long. And that is what brings us to your choice about who you will be.

All of this entered his knowledge as easily as water pouring into a cup, not instantly, but quickly and smoothly. And as he finished knowing it he saw to either side of the woman who was a light, a stand. Atop the stand to the left was a shield. Atop the stand to the right was a mace. Each item was as brilliant and bright as the purest silver, the mithral of the Dwarven mines of the east.

“Will you be the Protector or the Destroyer?”

He became aware of his answer more quickly than he would have thought himself capable of. “I am the Protector.”

The light in the shape of a woman nodded, not to grant him his desire, for he had become who he would be at the moment he had made the choice, but to acknowledge it. He nodded back and at that moment knew that what needed to happen while he was here was done and he turned to go back up the hallway that did not matter and through the door that did. As he turned, she said something that she wanted to but did not need to.

“You will have to choose again someday. You must decide who will suffer more: The people of your mother or those of your father.”

He stopped but did not turn back. And he only pondered that decision for a moment, not because it was easily made or already done, but because it did not need to happen yet.

hallway

Door.

“Marcus? Did you want to get up and join me on watch?” Cathal gripped him gently by the shoulder, speaking softly in the still air of the Foundry.

Marcus sat up, blinking in confusion. “Yes.” Shaking his head slightly and still reeling from the Vision, he reached to begin donning his armor.

“What happened to your shield?” asked Cathal.

It shone like the most brilliant silver mirror ever polished. Like it was filled with light.

BSF

Explorer
Oooh! That was nice Rel. Very driving moment in the game. Any comments on how you ran that? How much planning did you have for it? It narrates beautifully, but it is not always as easy to pull off with the same impact at the table. I would love to hear how the players reacted and what you did to make it successful.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
BardStephenFox said:
Oooh! That was nice Rel. Very driving moment in the game. Any comments on how you ran that? How much planning did you have for it? It narrates beautifully, but it is not always as easy to pull off with the same impact at the table. I would love to hear how the players reacted and what you did to make it successful.

Well, I'll be the first to admit that the Story Hour smooths out a lot of rough edges. For example, there was probably at least 15 minutes hammering out all the logistics for the Orcish Fleet with the party trying to make darn sure that they were not headed for the barbarian lands of the Fodor. But you, the reader, don't want to hear all that junk, and I sure as hell don't want to type it (not to mention that I couldn't even if I wanted to). I condensed that down to a fairly succinct conversation with Marcus being the one to put a pin in it. I don't recall necessarily that Marcus' player was the one who pushed strongly on the idea that the Fleet must be headed for the Empire but it seemed to make sense that his character would due to his religious knowledge.

Just for the record, I do this in a lot of other minor areas too. I have no idea who it was who Spotted this enemy or that monster. I do know that Marius often scouted ahead a bit or that Speaks had a high Spot skill thanks to his good Wisdom so I'll just assign whoever seems appropriate for the moment as the one who saw the bad guys coming.

The "dream sequence" where he met the Shining Lady played out as somewhat less mystical than I've portrayed it above. But that is mostly a product of the disconnect between the fact that we're sitting in a clean, well-lighted room with a big battlemat in the middle, drinking soda with bags of chips all over the place and Marcus being in a dreamcrafted room with a direct servant of his god offering him a choice that will change his life. The player certainly roleplayed it well and was very impressed by coming into contact with the Shining Lady. This also sets him up for some other important dealings with his Church as you'll see in the next update or so.

I guess my general assessment is this: If you try and pull off a dramatic scene in your game, you really need two things, Mood and Impact. I don't get all "method-acty" and dim the lights and wrap myself in a cloak and talk in a funny voice to set the mood. Instead, I usually just talk normally but a bit quieter so that the players have to shut up to hear what I'm saying. It makes the room nice and quiet and gives me some range to raise my voice a bit for dramatic effect. We are normally a very joking group who cracks irreverent comments at every turn, so you've also got to avoid setting the scene in such a way that it lends itself to being made fun of.

For example, in the scene above, I specifically avoided mentioning anything about the Shining Lady's appearance other than the fact that she glowed from within. If I say, "You see a beautiful glowing woman in a dress cut down to here and a bodacious set of knockers that must be held aloft by the power of Mount Celestia itself!" then I've pretty much ceded any chance of having the group take the scene seriously. This can be a rough crowd sometimes and you've got to go over your description carefully to make sure that you avoid anything phallic or dung-like. Otherwise they're merciless.

Then there's the Impact. I generally don't throw in a lot of dramatic scenes just for the sake of coolness and style. When I go into "dramatic mode" it usually means that something important and perhaps unexpected is taking place that has meaning to the party. This means that I don't wear out my welcome by doing too many such scenes and it also means they know to pay close attention when I start talking in that somewhat quiet and reverent voice.

I suppose that the players can comment further if they like about whether I do an effective job at this. How well I think I do is probably a lot less important than how well THEY think I do.

BSF

Explorer
Rel,
Thanks for elaborating. No truer words are said. It all hinges on how well the players think you did. I have run games with dramatic moments and meeting gods, etc. I try to tailor it to the god, obviously, so there are differences.

It is often a rough crowd around a gaming table. I will be the first to admit that I am as much of that issue as any other player. :) I just like to hear the tricks of the trade that others use. I've only been DMing for 24 years and there are still tricks to be learned. So thanks for providing a little insight!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Well, here's the last of the updates for my "Week of Mad Updates". This has really helped me get some momentum and hopefully I won't have any long breaks between now and when I finish this Story Hour. There is plenty more to come including some incredible political maneuvering, a hint that a major character will fall from grace and all out war. Two of them actually. ;)

Dawn peeked dimly through the crevasse in the ceiling of the Foundry and the night, though eventful for some, had passed without the party coming under attack. Marcus explained the general nature of his Vision to the others as they gathered their things and prepared to depart. The others listened with interest and, although they did not witness the Vision directly, they acknowledged that contact with a direct servant of St. Cuthbert underscored the seriousness of the events at hand.

It was decided that they would undertake their trip in two distinct legs. First they would Teleport back to Hrongar’s Hill and let Urdrax and the others there know that the Orcish army was on the move but did not look as though it would strike them. Then they would move on to Emor and spread the word there to the powers they were in contact with. What they would do after that they did not know.

With the aid of Speaks’ Feathers magic, they changed form to that of the smallest birds they could imagine. Lazarius had explained that weight was a limiting factor in Teleportation and it would be all he could manage to bring Marius along in his present form without them taking the form of eagles or hawks. Every bit of weight counted. With his fingers crossed, Lazarius did his magic.

And they stood atop Hrongar’s Hill. The Brigante folk who were going grimly about their business upon the hill gaped at the arrival of this Wizard, his statue and his flock of birds. They gaped even more as the birds transformed one by one into the other members of the battle hardened party. Several of them scurried fearfully into nearby tents as they saw the Imperial markings on Marcus’ armor and the symbol of St. Cuthbert on his mace and shining shield.

The party members looked askance at one another for this strange reaction but none of them had any answers. They climbed the short distance to Urdrax’s mead-hall and noted that no guards stood at the door. They entered to find Urdrax and Hrothan, son of Hrongar and the new leader of the Corritani, hunched over a map at one of the thick, cedar tables. They looked up with a start and their faces did not brighten as one would have thought they would at the sight of friends old and new.

Speaks decided that he’d had enough of this mystery and stepped forward to address the pair of Chieftains, “Hail, Urdrax and Hrothan. I sense that we are less welcome and the mood seems dour here at Hrongar’s Hill. What has happened?”

The two Fodor men looked at each other for a moment. Urdrax spoke, “It seems that you have been long away and short of news, Speaks With Stone. I take it that word has not yet reached you of the invasion of our homelands.”

The companions regarded each other with surprise before Speaks spoke again, “The Orcs!? They’ve sent a band against you too?”

Urdrax scowled, “Not the Orcs! The Empire!”

In near unison, the party blurted out, “What?!”

Urdrax answered, gesturing absently toward the map laid across the table, “They’ve crossed the sea and are encamped near the mouth of the Fodor. We don’t know how long it will be before they begin their northern march but they appear to be coming in force.”

“How many,” asked Cathal.

“The Allmani scouts have reported seeing the banners of two of their Legions but they are encamped behind a palisade fort they’ve erected and we cannot get a precise count of their numbers. They are many.”

Eyes turned to Lazarius and Marcus. “How man men is that?” asked Speaks.

Lazaruis thought for a moment and answered, “Virtually all the Legions are under strength since the slave wars. Most now only boast four or five Cohorts. Two Legions would be maybe…five thousand men.”

“Five thousand!” cried Speaks. “Those fools! An army of Orcs headed their way and they’ve sent five thousand men to attack a defenseless nation with a tenth of that number of warriors, who have recently made peace with them! This is madness!”

Marcus interjected, “There is still time to stop this! We’ve got to get back to Emor! If I can speak to the High Priest of St. Cuthbert and Lazarius can warn the Imperial War College about the Orcs, these Legions could be recalled. But we must move quickly!”

Urdrax and Hrothan both seemed confused and the group took the next hour to describe what had transpired at the City of Endless Summer: The Orcish Fleet, the sacrifice of the women and children and the impending release of Bane. By the end the Chieftains seemed in better spirits.

“Let the Orc ships come then. The Empire needs another reminder that they are not the power they once were. This fleet of ships will give them something to concern themselves with instead of trying to take our land!”

“That may be,” said Marcus, attempting to contain his anger over their disregard for the fate of his country, “but if we don’t convince them to pull back those Legions then they may destroy the tribes of the Fodor even as they themselves fall to the Orcs.”

Urdrax’s dour visage reestablished itself. “I’m afraid that what you say may be true. I’ve sent word to the other tribes urging them to make our defense here, at Hrongar’s Hill, but Relmar of the Suevi has been stubborn as usual. He refuses to give ground and insists upon defending his lands, which are the most southern and the ones that will first be encountered by the Legions on their march northwards.”

The Brigante Chieftain continued, “He says that if we are to have a chance at victory, we must strike at the Legions early and make them bleed for every step they take into the valley of the Fodor.”

“I fear that plan will not work,” said Marcus. “There is one thing that the Legions do very well and that is to wage war against those who try to nip at their edges. They will have ample food stores and guard them well. They will fortify their encampments every night and defend them with skill. They will march slowly, but inevitably northward. The only way I can imagine them stopping is because they are told to. We must make the Senate see the threat to Emor so they’ll pull those Legions back.”

“Then let us be off then,” said Lazarius. “There is much to do and time is short!”

Cathal backed away from the table, deep in thought. Then said, “I do not think I can go with you my brothers. At a time like this, I will not be welcome in your Empire.”

“I suspect that the same may hold for me as well,” said Speaks. “The Druid Council is still out for my blood so far as I know. And there is some good that I might do here for a while. I will travel south and try to meet with the Suevi and see if I can convince Relmar to bend so that his people will not be broken. I have some…some sway with their Shaman, Orthula.” Urdrax and Hrothan shared a knowing glance at this last remark.

Speaks continued, “Lazarius, you and Marcus both have powerful contacts that might be able to get the Senate to see reason and pull those Legions back to defend the Empire. And Marius may too but first you’ll need to see if he can be made whole once again. Cathal and I can do our best to try and keep things here from devolving into all out war between the tribes and the Imperials.”

“I’m afraid the time has come for our paths to part.”

Darklone

Aaaaaaaaaahhh nooooooooo!

Never split the party.

And if you do, make sure your RBDM has gotten some new whiskey bottles.

Oh, no. Splitting the party is great fun. The DM must juggle several things at once. The best is when you split into two parties and then each of those parties split and have four scenes going simultaneously. Great fun!

:)

Riggs

First Post
Stoned in Summerland...

Rel,
Thanks for elaborating. No truer words are said. It all hinges on how well the players think you did.

Oh don't worry, Rel is often a RBDM, but he's good at it, and did a great job keeping this game fun and moving. Always there was another big time secret we found, like the navy or the undead guy around, or part to the plan of the bad guys. Oh, and Hell of course, :D

The odd part to this last bit was that right after Marius had lots to think about from Jalena (ok after that kind of thinking!), he gets petrified and can't do squat. He was invisible and Rel did a good job with that too. He said "you are no longer invisible". I had about enough time to say "Oh crap." then I was rolling a save and not making it. Seems standard but when you are likely taking a player out for the night, it pays to serve that dish smoothly and not like a slap in the face. Though my night ended there mostly, it was handled well is my point.
And at least the guys carted me around instead of saying "Stay here, we'll be back with a scroll!!!" haha
I also vowed to Speaks that I would notice if I had any owl poop on my shoulder when I came to. If I did, nobody mentioned it. :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thanks go to my players for chiming in about the latest updates. I do recall the comments about Marius' statue being the sort of place one would find bird dung. Particularly when they were teleporting around with him and the whole flock was perched on his shoulders.

I also noted something that was a bit of an oversight on my part. You may have noticed that you didn't see much of Scipio during that last raid into the City of Endless Summer and Hell. That's because he wasn't there. If I recall correctly, he was left behind in the mountain cave because the premise on which they entered the City (disguised as Orcs) did not include a giant mountain lion being with them. I glossed over the party where Speaks fetched him from the cave before they headed back to Hrongar's Hill.

To add a bit of a teaser, Scipio is about to become rather more significant to the plot than anybody could ever have anticipated at the outset of the campaign. I'm smiling just thinking about it and I'm sure the players are too.

"Cat that smart, you don't eat all at once!"

I'm definitely proud of old Scipio. Best Dire Mountain Lion a guy could ever ask for. It kind of sucks when he's smarter than you are, though. At least he never rubbed it in.

I also liked the upcoming sequence quite a bit. We were all primed to go one direction. Rel knew we were going to do it because that's what heroes do. I'll comment later so as not to spoil the surprise, but suffice to say, our least heroic act had the biggest impact on the world. And I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out. Did I mention I'm true neutral? I don't have to be the hero all the time.

Remove ads