Rel's Faded Glory III: Glory Reborn (FINAL UPDATE 6/22 - SHE'S DONE, BABY!!)

Belen

Adventurer
Cathal said:
Yep, TPK. ;)

I think that the bad luck just got all piled up in one corner over the years and finally toppled over onto the table last night! We've lived on the breathless edge of disaster for so long that it was bound to happen at some point, and this one was a doozy.

TPKs are never pretty. I have never had one myself, but I have suffered that fate twice as a player. The first time, the party disintegrated and we ran afoul of the authorities in Sigil. You never want to want to be a stupid berk.

The second time, the GM caught us between a group of nightstalkers, and a 22 level cleric with timestop for a domain spell!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Cathal said:
Yep, TPK. ;)

I think that the bad luck just got all piled up in one corner over the years and finally toppled over onto the table last night! We've lived on the breathless edge of disaster for so long that it was bound to happen at some point, and this one was a doozy.

Well, technically it wasn't a TPK because Cathal's Warforged was not destroyed, merely rendered inert while the rest of the party was killed. But we'll call it "close enough".

Riggs

First Post
Rel said:
Well, technically it wasn't a TPK because Cathal's Warforged was not destroyed, merely rendered inert while the rest of the party was killed. But we'll call it "close enough".

Two statues on the island of Krapa-ptui...motionless and timeless but undying except for the frailty of the artificer. One dies and truly is an statue and the other awaits help forever.

Sorry Ravage, I only had 23 hit points :\ ;)

Jon Potter

First Post
Rel said:

So... are you going to enlighten us? What happened? One last bit of daring-do recapped for the old FG audience before this thread is lost to the netherpages?

And I'm not very familiar with Eberron, so forgive me. But when I saw the name of the island mentioned in Riggs' post I couldn't help but think: "I'd be going "PTUI!" too if I was on an island of Krapa!" :p

Hey! Keep it down. I can hear the groaning from way over here!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Jon Potter said:
So... are you going to enlighten us? What happened? One last bit of daring-do recapped for the old FG audience before this thread is lost to the netherpages?

You can read all about it here.

And Riggs was just making up the name of the island. It never had a name that the PC's knew of except "The Island Where We All Got Killed".

Rel

Liquid Awesome
For those of you playing along at home, you might wish to revisit the link in my previous post about the TPK thread. It seems that some of my players have exacted a sort of "revenge" if you will. ;)

Look for Cathal's post #30.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
At the request of BardStephenFox in another thread, I thought I'd post the current XP system that we're using as opposed to the system that I long touted in many a thread here. For the record, I still like that system in some respects but I understand now that it has some areas where it falls short for our current group. We've been using this new system for 2-3 months now and it seems to be working well.

Rel's NEW XP System

The mission statement of this XP system is to award XP for a wide array of situations (from RP heavy to Combat Heavy) with minimal fuss and on a sliding scale based on PC level. It is also designed to fit in well with the vaguely cinematic flavor I'm trying to achieve in my current (Eberron) campaign.

At the end of the session, the DM divides the events that took place into "scenes". Each of these scenes is designated as having been "Minor", "Average" or "Major" based on the events that took place therein. I call this the "degree" of the scene. Then I look at a spreadsheet I've made and award XP for each scene based on the degree of the scene, cross referenced with the average PC level in the party. Each PC involved gets that much XP for that scene.

For very general guidelines I use the following:

For combat, foes with an EL below the average party level count as a "Minor" scene. Those of approximately the same EL as the party level are "Average" and those above are "Major".

For roleplaying encounters, I base the degree of the scene on the length of the interaction and the usefulness/relevance to the PC's current situation. For a very brief exchange with someone of little real relevance to the ongoing plot (like a brief haggle with a merchant) I won't consider that a "scene" at all. For short conversations with important NPC's about topics relevant to the PC's, I'll award a "Minor" scene. For similar conversations of a longer nature or ones that are vital to the current plotline I'd award an "Average" scene. For lengthy interactions with NPC's that are detailed and of a critical nature to the PC's, I'll award a "Major" scene.

As an example of how this works, a couple sessions ago the PCs did the following:

1) They were attacked by Sahuagin on their ship headed to Saltmarsh.
2) The arrived in Saltmarsh and got into a drinking contest with some locals that resulted in one PC going unconscious and another becoming a "local hero" within the bar.
3) Chatted briefly with 3-4 NPC's about their plans to hunt Lizardfolk for a bounty.

I awarded an Average scene for the Sahuagin attack based on their numbers and the numbers of the PC's and their level. I awarded an Average scene for the drinking contest (which was quite lengthy and funny in nature). I awarded a Minor scene for talking to the NPC's.

Checking the chart I've made (and I'll attach it if anybody is interested), I noted that an Average scene for 4th level characters is worth 210 XP and a Minor scene is worth 120. Each party member got 540XP except for one character because his player had to leave early and missed the part where the rest of the group asked around town about the bounty hunting.

So there you have it. As always I'm happy to answer any questions.

Funeris

First Post
If you would, please post the spreadsheet :)
I'm always looking into different ways to award experience...I hate the standard system....

:D

Darklone

Greetings ;)

Nice piccies btw, Rel... and grats to your first TPK, I'm still waiting for my first one (my players learn to run fast and it's really hard to catch a halfling riding on a cheetah even if you're a dragon ;)).

Remove ads