Remember the FATAL RPG? Here's the music video

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Yeah... FATAL isn't worth discussing this much. The people who haven't heard of it have been warned. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Nomad4life

First Post
a) The music was laughably bad.

"FATAL is the best roleplaying game I have ever seen!" = lulz

b) Some of the images were pretty cool, and I'd yoink them for any Far Realm/CoC game I wound up in.

So, how'd you find the images?

Yeah, the music kills me. I'm almost being literal there- when I check back for YouTube messages, I make sure the volume is off whenever I check that one!

As for the pictures- I collect bizarre/disturbing images to use in CoC games. I come across some of them randomly, and pull others from internet forums on the topic of strange artwork. I decided to unload most of them into the FATAL music video because that damn theme song sounds like it was written by the great Cthulhu himself in a plot to drive people mad or something. It... Made sense at the time.

Obviously, the artwork doesn't really reflect the content of FATAL (otherwise this thread would be closed by now.) The video is more of a joke than any serious attempt to make a music video about that godforsaken game. The images in the video are very strange and creepy, but harmless overall- nothing at all like the source material.

Kafen

First Post
Yeah... FATAL isn't worth discussing this much. The people who haven't heard of it have been warned. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I think the old website enjoys the attention more than the actual author. I know that the new fatalgames page is some sort of oddball link page to such wonderful games as Schoolgirl Street Fighter.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nomad4life, I have to commend you.

It is rare that creative works derived from/inspired by the intellectual property of others exceeds the quality of the original, but your compilation of images- culled from sources like WotC and FFG among others- set to FATAL's promo music actually surpasses both the music and FATAL itself.

OK, not like that was difficult to do, but hey, its a win!

zen_hydra

First Post
"2) Mix in every conceivable negative stereotype about underachievers in our society that you can find."

I don't disagree with your appraisal of the authors lack of merit in general, but they did manage to write two editions of the abominable thing. So perhaps they weren't underachievers. They were even perhaps overachievers at being vile.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
"2) Mix in every conceivable negative stereotype about underachievers in our society that you can find."

I don't disagree with your appraisal of the authors lack of merit in general, but they did manage to write two editions of the abominable thing. So perhaps they weren't underachievers. They were even perhaps overachievers at being vile.

I do not assert that the authors of FATAL are underachievers, it's not a personal attack against them (although the authors certainly deserve all the rotten tomatoes that come their way). I'll even grant that they can be considered "creative," after a fashion, if you limit your definition of creativity to the ability to create something derivative that's different enough from its forerunners to be recognized as a distinctly different product.

But I do think that the point can certainly be argued that they missed the mark in designing a role-playing game that is realistic, well-researched, and consistent with world mythologies. This is the assertion in the game's introduction. In this, they certainly aren't regarded as successful, even if this product can somehow be considered an "achievement."

Nomad4life

First Post
Nomad4life, I have to commend you.

It is rare that creative works derived from/inspired by the intellectual property of others exceeds the quality of the original, but your compilation of images- culled from sources like WotC and FFG among others- set to FATAL's promo music actually surpasses both the music and FATAL itself.

OK, not like that was difficult to do, but hey, its a win!

Hey thanks! I've been getting messages asking about where the images came from, and I'm going back through old and new threads trying to remember where in the heck I first saw them. If I can find them again, I'll post the links in the comments section under the video.

EDIT: Okay, found two of the links with galleries where I dug up a lot of these CoC-style images. Some good creepy stuff here:
Link 1
http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=21973&genre=4

Link 2:
http://www.miamakila.com/

Last edited:

Remove ads