• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remembering Harbinger

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
http://www.blackguard.ca/merric/article.php?id=1592

Boy. It's moving up to 4 years since DDM began. I've just written a retrospective article on Harbinger (see the link above), and was just wondering if anyone remembered who the person was who ran over his Tordek miniature in a car or truck?

I remember seeing the post on the Wizards boards back then. It was very funny indeed. :)

Cheers!

Agent Oracle

First Post
A very interesting retrospective Merric... Kinda makes me glad i held off on getting D&D minis until (lemme think) War Drums.

Of course, they still see the most play in my weekly game, as stand-ins for the PC's and assorted monsters.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It's got to the stage where I tend to blur figures' names together in my head. Not helped by me not being able to collect that much of the last couple of sets. I miss my FLGS.

Cheers!

KB9JMQ

First Post
Nice write up Merric.

I really liked the set but now that I look back at it it may be just because it was the first.
My family doesn't play the skirmish game much but the Harbinger set gets left on the shelf when we do.

But the set gets a lot of use as minis when we game.

Funny that normally orc warriors are hard to get on the secondary market when I just had 2 not even get looked at on ebay recently. Though I wish I had more drow rogues and fighters for the prices I got for them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I still get REGULAR use from my Harbinger minis -- our DM just yesterday threw a bunch of Owlbears at us. :)

I use the orcs from that set pretty regularly, both as orcs and generic humanoids, and they've held up pretty well.

DragonShadow

First Post
I use my minis all the time, and it's a great write up that you did there.

But, indestructable?

Tell that to my dogs, they've eaten at least 6 minis. (I've used this to calculate their CR's, and they are mighty dogs indeed.)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yeah dogs and minis are not a good combination. :)

Harbinger still works well for me as well.

Cheers!

Agamon

Adventurer
Every new set sees me paring down the collection to make room for the new ones. The Harbinger minis are often the ones that get the boot. Between their secondary market price and the fact the new ones look far better (buh-bye Harbinger shambling mound...a true wtf? mini if there ever was one), my Harbinger collection is shrinking annually. I have made mistakes though...I had 2 hound archons. Not all that useful for the RPG. Traded one right away and got rid of the other last year. Then SpC comes out with Summon Hound Archon. Sigh... :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads