• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Removal of Bonus Actions and Extra Actions

Jaron Mortimer

First Post
Another consideration with this, is that in addition to the bonus action you also get an action, a reaction, and a chance to move. Then you also get extra attacks and extra actions. This is moving some of the complexity to a more consistent action economy where you do not even think action economy.
An action which can include extra attacks
Move as you normally would
A reaction

I don't see how adding in One more thing you can do a round makes it overly complex. You get an action, a move, and maybe a bonus action if something permits it. That's about as uncomplicated as it gets. in fact, linking it to specific abilities only makes it MORE complex than it was before. Additionally, making a Bonus action" effect use your Reaction instead gimps anyone that builds around using OA's for no good reason.

Sadrik

First Post
I think it sounds, like one more thing however, it does add a whole class of things that you can do. This expands the choices a lot. It makes the game in my estimation less fluid because you have to address the action economy each turn. 1 action + 1 reaction and you can move is less moving parts than 1 action + 1 bonus action + 1 reaction and you can move. dare I say they got it right in editions 1e through 3e and 3.5e swift, 4e minor, and 5e bonus got it wrong.

I only added reaction to healing word. There are several other spells that are reactions too - so it is not like this would be forging new ground.

And finally I know this is not for all people. There are a whole host of different play styles. More elaborate action economies excite some people. They may prefer a game where they get to determine how to best spend all their action possibilities each round. I am not of that group. I, like many other RPGs, have come to the realization that too many actions each round convolutes the action and turns it more gamey.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads