D&D 5E Replacement art is up for Bigby's AI art on D&D Beyond!

dave2008

Legend
No I don't mean AI art.

One if the guys us really good sone of his pieces are better than WotC ones. Think he charges $200 a commission.

It all has that crisp almost cartoon look though.
Got it.

There are lots of good artist, but nowhere close to "everyone." That has pretty much always been true, even before digital art. I took few art classes up through my freshman year in university and I am a long time member of online art forums. There a lot or people with skill, but few make a good living at it. Maybe digital art has made accessing that art easier, but it still takes a lot of skill to produce digital art. Many of those skills translate to traditional media and vice versa. So I think it is more likely it is easier for you to find art now and less that "everyone" can do it as you seemed to suggest.

Zardnaar

Legend
Got it.

There are lots of good artist, but nowhere close to "everyone." That has pretty much always been true, even before digital art. I took art classes up through my freshman year in university and I am a long time member of online art forums. There a lot or people with skill, but few make a good living at it. Maybe digital art has made accessing that art easier, but it still takes a lot of skill to produce digital art. Many of those skills translate to traditional media and vice versa.

Well not everyone can do it but it's a lot more common.

Generalky I notice it a lot looking at old Dungeon magazine covers. They're really interesting to me.

I can't pinpoint the transition reliably probably somewhere around 3.0 to 3.5 or Invasion to Ravnica block (2001-2005ish?)

Basically I can go onto reddit or Facebook and find something close to WotC or plenty of that animie type stuff.

Art does look good probably but it's like earing chocolate cake every day. This one might have a nice cream filling but it's still a chocolate cake.

dave2008

Legend
Well not everyone can do it but it's a lot more common.

Generalky I notice it a lot looking at old Dungeon magazine covers. They're really interesting to me.

I can't pinpoint the transition reliably probably somewhere around 3.0 to 3.5 or Invasion to Ravnica block (2001-2005ish?)

Basically I can go onto reddit or Facebook and find something close to WotC or plenty of that animie type stuff.

Art does look good probably but it's like earing chocolate cake every day. This one might have a nice cream filling but it's still a chocolate cake.
FYI, I know at least on of the artists (Quintin Gleim) that did the replacement art is a traditional (brush and canvas) artist. Here is their Regisaur from Bigby's

1695390293513.png

Here is an oil on canvas you get from their website:

1695390737380.png

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I'm glad of the fix. I'm also glad I can download the images onto my computer. This might be a rare case where I might buy a second copy of the book just to show support for the art change in physical (but only after the second printing starts).

I want to put my money where my mouth is and show my appreciation that WotC is doing the right thing in THIS CASE by supporting artists.

Of course, WotC are also behooved to do this because every piece that was AI-enhanced in the first printing is legally not theirs. Hence why D&D Beyond IMMEDIATELY dropped the old images. So I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't so much a morals decision as much as a profits decision.

Remember this is the same company that refuses to revisit Rabiah because its core tropes and concepts are all public domain.

pukunui

Legend
It is worth noting that all of the dinosaur illustrations, new and old, are pretty close to the concept art give to the artist:

View attachment 295839
Yep. I think the issue is that the other three just look like extra large real dinosaurs, whereas the altisaur is the only one that truly looks fantastical (due to its extra legs and gigantic spiky tail). And for me, it looks fantastical in a ridiculous way. It just looks goofy. And that tail is just out of proportion.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep. I think the issue is that the other three just look like extra large real dinosaurs, whereas the altisaur is the only one that truly looks fantastical (due to its extra legs and gigantic spiky tail). And for me, it looks fantastical in a ridiculous way. It just looks goofy. And that tail is just out of proportion.

We are kiwi barbarians. No appreciation for the arts. Rugby!!!!

Similar opinion

dave2008

Legend
I actually like the multitude of legs, but the tail is a bit over-the-top; and it does stand out compared to the rest.

pukunui

Legend
I actually like the multitude of legs, but the tail is a bit over-the-top; and it does stand out compared to the rest.
The extra legs make sense given its size and bulk. I think it's just the way they’re depicted. They look maybe too skinny and sort of like they’re getting tangled up or something.

It’s mainly the spiky boulder at the end of its tail that kills it for me.

Remove ads