D&D 5E Replacement art is up for Bigby's AI art on D&D Beyond!

Zardnaar

Legend
What do you mean by the bold part? On first glance it seems very dismissive of the talent it takes to make this work, whether or not a computer was used instead of IRL brushes and canvas.

As an amateur artist myself I know it takes a lot of skill to "paint" with a computer.

Everyone's doing it. There's people selling it on our local Facebook group for example.

It's not bad as such just all blends together.

dave2008

Legend
Everyone's doing it. There's people selling it on our local Facebook group for example.

It's not bad as such just all blends together.
Are you saying everyone is using AI or everyone is using computers to paint? I assure everyone does not have the talent to paint with computers to the level we expect and get for D&D books.

Amateurs can use AI to create interesting art, but it, currently, almost always has tell-tale artifacts. A pro can of course disguise / eliminate these.

FYI, I am trying to determine if you are using CG / CGI as a stand-in for AI art. They are different things IIUC.

dave2008

Legend
Sure it's all subjective.

This was the first piece I ever saw I thought "that CGI art"? Circa 2005.
I quite like it though.

Again, what do you mean by CGI art?

I as using computers to make art about that timeframe, but it wasn't AI obviously. Here is a Rodan I made in 2007:
1695381841705.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
View attachment 295806

On a related note, a couple of friends think the above image (High Fae Mage) from the new Monstrous Compendium 4 was likely AI generated then touched up. The credited artist is John Stanko who has some wonderful credits.

What are your thoughts?
I mean, it is a digitally touched up painting, but nothing about it seems AI to my eyes.

It does seem to me that AI art might spoil digital art for a lot of people, by making it all questionable. Notice how painterly the new replacement art for Bigby's is: I think WotC style might go more that direction in the future.

Zardnaar

Legend
Are you saying everyone is using AI or everyone is using computers to paint? I assure everyone does not have the talent to paint with computers to the level we expect and get for D&D books.

Amateurs can use AI to create interesting art, but it, currently, almost always has tell-tale artifacts. A pro can of course disguise / eliminate these.

FYI, I am trying to determine if you are using CG / CGI as a stand-in for AI art. They are different things IIUC.

No I don't mean AI art.

One if the guys us really good some of his pieces are better than WotC ones. Think he charges $200 a commission.

It all has that crisp almost cartoon look though.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Again, what do you mean by CGI art?

I as using computers to make art about that timeframe, but it wasn't AI obviously. Here is a Rodan I made in 2007:
View attachment 295845

Using a computer to do it vs hand drawn.

Your art looks good I can't do it but it's obvious it's not hand drawn.

I've got a lit of respect for things hand crafted art coukd be a painting, sculpture, or even stuff like lathe work or even the mechanic.

Something like Picassi or Dali doesn't really do it fo me but I respect what they do.

Generally I respect it more in a movie as well eg practical effect in Fury Road vs CGI splatter in MCU movie. The latter is just a matter of time and money.

Sone 3pp products are better as well. Not anyone can do it but there's a lot if options out there if your walkets deep enough.

If I was after a real sword i woukd prefer to find an actual Smith vs online knock off.

Personal preference thats all.

Last edited:

Moonmover

Explorer
Do you think they going to reprint the book with this new art?

I would assume so, considering how much they must have paid for it.

dave2008

Legend
Using a computer to do it vs hand drawn.

Your art looks good I can't do it but it's obvious it's not hand drawn.
Well to be honest I kind of tricked you there. That Rodan was hand drawn on paper, scanned, cleaned up and colored (by hand) in the computer. I say "by hand" in the computer because I had a wacom tablet at the time that used a pencil. So I was drawing / painting with my hands, just on a tablet and not paper. That was just for the clean up and coloring though. The line art was done on paper.

When I retire I want to spend some more time and get better with both traditional and digital art. Just 15 years to go!

Remove ads