Replacement for thunderspire Dragon

vagabundo

Adventurer
I'm running the Well of Demons this weekend and I'm redoing the encounters.

The green dragon is pretty meh. Any ideas for a replacement? I'm looking for a level 10 solo. Maybe one that uses the newer format.

I am DDI enabled.

Klaus

First Post
Look at the Risen King, a Level 10 Solo Controller (same as the green dragon) from Fortress of the Yuan-Ti. Being undead, it canfit the "undying guardian of the Well" theme. Give it a fly speed, of desired (making him some sort of demon-undead).

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Take a look at Razecoreth, Young Green Dragon Warlock, a level 10 solo skirmisher. It's from Draconomicon, so it'll need some touch up in the MB, but it is way more interesting than a normal green dragon.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The key is to get a mobile foe so that he makes the PCs engage all the traps in the area. Personally I think you should also get one that slows/immobilizes and flings people around so that he can make some good use of that nasty rolling ball.

Ladislaus

First Post
Try the Wretched Tide, Swarm of Dretches.

A swarm of demons sure fits the theme for the Well of Demons better than a young green dragon.

Reaper Steve

Explorer

A swarm of demons sure fits the theme for the Well of Demons better than a young green dragon.

Swarm of Dretches certainly got my attention!
A quick search revealed an official 4E conversion document:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Yuanti_4E.pdf

Seeing that it is for 7th level, this may just slot in perfectly with my Heroic Tier script:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-dis...ampaign-renamed-need-1st-level-adventure.html

Back to Thunderspire: while there is room for the Huge swarm in the center of the Well of Demons, leaving that area would involve squeezing. Anyone know if that woul'd negatively impact the encounter?

Last edited:

vagabundo

Adventurer
My game last night did not go to plan (best laid plans and all that...). An impromptu B-Day dinner scuppered the long game I had planned.

And a little niece - four year old - decided to play Dice and Monsters with us, it mostly involved throwing dice at people.

Still the party explored the central area and they now know about the "Guardian", but not nothing about what it is. They are going to start gathering the objects.

I had decided to scrap the dragon - or save it for the Seven Pillared Hall and the showdown with Murklemor (I think I might have killed Paldemar, but that is another story) - and I was going to use a Goristro. The Well of Demons should have a bad ass demon as the BBEG.

Swarm of Dretches certainly got my attention!
A quick search revealed an official 4E conversion document:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Yuanti_4E.pdf

Seeing that it is for 7th level, this may just slot in perfectly with my Heroic Tier script:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-dis...ampaign-renamed-need-1st-level-adventure.html

Back to Thunderspire: while there is room for the Huge swarm in the center of the Well of Demons, leaving that area would involve squeezing. Anyone know if that woul'd negatively impact the encounter?

Yes I'm think that now. I think I want to make it a little more of a controller. I might redo it in the MB. I'll post whatever I make here.

I think there are special rules for swarms and squeezing. If not, there will be for my game. A swarm should be able to swarm anywhere.

The key is to get a mobile foe so that he makes the PCs engage all the traps in the area. Personally I think you should also get one that slows/immobilizes and flings people around so that he can make some good use of that nasty rolling ball.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. Maybe I'll give the swarm a fly speed. Now I have time I shall don my thinking cap.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Pickles JG

First Post
Me too, it was one of the most fun solo encounters I have played - helped by the passive assistance of all the traps. It has good mobility & slide effects that made the traps more of an issue. My party is very control light which helps my solos though.

Remove ads