Reporting from Blizzcon

kotik2

First Post
I have seen the future, and there are blood elves.

As expansion info is now available on the WoW site, I'm not going to delve deeply into what is there, but rather share what comes from hands on time with the expansion, and a couple of panel discussions.

First, I'm about dead certain the alliance race is not the Pandaren. Chris Metzen wouldn't share what the race was, but indicated it is one we already know, but would not really be looking at for an ally, and that it was "really cool". Yes, pandaren can be really cool, but lots of people have been discussing them as a possibilty. I'm leading toward the Draenei, the "Lost Ones" from Swamp of Sorrows. After all, the Horde is getting a pretty race, why not suspect the Alliance might get an ugly one?

I was dubious about the Lore behind the Horde getting the Blood Elves. These folks fought violently against the orcs and the trolls for a long time. The logic is a bit two pronged here. First, Sylvanis, the Banshee Queen, is a former High Elf, and still feels a loyalty to them. Second, as with the Forsaken, there is an element of alliance of convenience. There are simply not enough Blood Elves for them not to seek allies, but they dare not go to the Alliance, because their Night Elf cousins will be able to detect the magics they continue to use and abuse.

The BE racials are mana tap and arcane torment. Mana tap steals 50 mana, and charges the air around the BE with arcance energy. It stacks up to three times. Arcane Torment is an AoE silence for 2-3 secons, which does damage if you have mana tap stacked. These will make the BE's formidable against casters.

Much of the expansion content takes place in Outland, which is through the Dark Portal. When the Alliance heroes (those statue folk outside SW) closed the portal from the Draenor side, they were not counting on the Blood Elves viewing the place as the promised land. The portal will be reopened, likely in a world event.

Those same heroes are currently alive and well and "Kicking ASS!" (Metzen's exact words) in Outland. Frustrated with their inability to destroy Azeroth (the only planet to ever defeat them), the Burning Legion have redoubled their efforts to destroy the rest of the universe. The Burning Crusade will take the battle from Azeroth, to the Legion, via the portals of Draenor/Outland. Flying mounts are a necessity in the zone, as what remains of Draenor is effectively large meteorites, held together within the twisting nether.

The new profession, Jewelcrafting, is the making of rings and necklaces, with the first ring being wearable by a level 5. It is +40 attack power. All I could see was the recipes at one trainer, so there may be drops that do something besides rings and necklaces. That trainer said a level 15 was required to learn the apprentice level of the skill, and did not offer a journeyman level. (This could easily be because they didn't want to deal with having the content available for the demo.)

Expect at least one patch yet this year, likely in mid-December. That's from a CM, but I'm not going to rat out who, just in case they weren't supposed to mention it. We will be seeing the instance at Kharazan, and the Caverns of Time soon, and the aim is to have the fee based character transfers available before the expansion as well.

The dungeon and raid developers are not working on making instances for groups larger than 40. In fact, they would like to get them all tuned better and get some lower level caps in place. (One of them told a story about being playing incognito on a realm and having people insist that UBRS couldn't be done with less than 15 - they think 10-11 is just fine, and only the top part is tuned for 15 (I'm guessing that's from maybe the balcony on, but definitely from the beast on).

By the way, things that are definitely not exploits - jumping off the balcony at UBRS, and mind controlling the mob with fire resistance (can't remember where this was, and haven't seen it myself). If a GM tries to say otherwise, send him to Jeff on the development team :).

While I had originally suspected a pre-Christmas launch for the expansion, I am less sure now. That was based on my experiences in the software industry, and time tables for registration of copyrights etc.. The way they registered the title, they either need it on the shelves by May 2006, or to reregister, justifying the delay. They weren't coy about much in the panel discussions, and I didn't really pick up any of the body language that says they are hiding a release coming sooner rather than later. They were a little looser at the lips than usual, at least according to Pernese and Sadaye, who have talked with them at conventions before. Time will tell.

If you have any questions, please ask, and I'll answer as well as I remember. I'll check in again tomorrow night.

By the way, the Devs lost in the BG's in the final match :).

Edit: I forgot the dances! Silly me. The BE males do the twist, and the females do a combo of the NE female pole dance, and the twist. The "nifty" racial jump is a spin, rotates either 2 or 3x.

Vaslov

Explorer
Any details on the world event to open the dark portal? Things aspiring warlocks should know to prepare? I'm guessing it will be a whole lot of 60's, but what else would be needed? I doubt they got into it, but who knows....

kotik2

First Post
Vaslov said:
Any details on the world event to open the dark portal? Things aspiring warlocks should know to prepare? I'm guessing it will be a whole lot of 60's, but what else would be needed? I doubt they got into it, but who knows....

They wouldn't touch details with a ten foot pole :(

We'll have the world event to open Ahn'Qiraq first, also no details on that, but the visuals on the place are pretty neat, cross between Egyptian art and more of the Silithid style caverns with the firefly lighting (the only thing I actually like about the Silithid is the lighting in their hives.

And thanks for posting the link. It was late, and I just cut and pasted what I had done on the forums to here, as well as the software forum.

Coming tonight, any knowledge gleaned from the class discussions, maybe some on professions too...

kotik2

First Post
Very meaty indeed Vas.

Here's the rest of what I posted on the Feathermoon forum, in case anyone is interested.

1.9 - Paladin love at last: Didn't get a lot of specifics here, but we did get a word about the blessings. They will last longer (15 minutes was mentioned), and you will be able to class - i.e. cast Salvation on all the priests at once, Might on all the warriors, etc. This should greatly reduce the amount of time paladins spend buffing. I believe Ahn'Qiraj will be openable at this point, once each faction satisfies its requirements.

On Ahn'Qiraj - this place is HUGE! There is one room roughly the size of the Library wing at SM. and the ceilings are high, because some of the mobs are so tall that a human paladin only comes up to the things KNEE! It's an indoor/outdoor zone as well, which should perk the druids up a bit. The opening will be a world event. It would be great if once we have the server requirements met and the scepter bearer has the scepter, if we could work out a scheduled time for the opening on the forum. This launches a war, so the more folks available the better, and it is a one time only, historic event, worthy of filming if we can work it out.

Upon reviewing my notes, I do show Kharazan as being a raid zone with a 10 man cap. It is huge as well - if you're bringing in a player after you've cleared a bit of it, pray you have a warlock. It's windy and twisty as well. On an "easter egg" note, when you are in the "Opera House" section, take a moment to check out the painting on the ceiling.

Naxxramaas(sp?), the Necropolis above Stratholme, is slated to be patched in in the spring. This is another extensive zone. It has a name because it's not the only necropolis.

Other miscellanea:

*Blizzard PUG's suck too. That is a direct quote. Despite the fact that the person who designed the space is sitting there telling them exactly what to do, they die, repeatedly, far more often than when playing with their live server characters. This made me feel a bit better about life.

*Gilneas - when directly asked about Gilneas, Metzen's comment was "How do we say we forgot about it without saying we forgot about it?"

*On Pandaren - when directly asked about the future role of the Pandaren, the answer that that was not yet decided tasted a bit evasive.

*In the class panel, Paladins were still referred to as "The Alliance only race". This did not hold true of Shaman. Oversight or expansion?

*Azuregos is prounced azure(like the color)-gos (long o like go).(I always wondered, maybe I was the only one)

*Blood Elves have great RP potential. In another Metzen slip, we find that in the expansion, both Horde and Alliance will eventually kill Illidan and Prince Kael. Apparenlty he's not been being a very good boy whilst in Outland. The whole "betrayed by the leaders" thing is rich in RP angst.

I'm going to start another thread for speculations for the new alliance race. Sat through the lore discussion twice to see what I could glean there, and I have ideas that I think could spark lively discussions...

That's what I've got. If anyone posts further questions, I'll do my best to answer, but these are the points still vital in my mind/notes.

Remove ads