• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reprinted/Revised Monsters in MM3

Jhaelen

First Post
When reading MM3 I noticed several monsters which seemed familiar, but when I checked, they were all different variants of previously released monsters (e.g. Norkers, Sons of Kyuss). All except one:

Enigma of Vecna (Controller Level 6) first appeared in 'Thunderspire Labyrinth' and is reprinted in MM3 with updated attack bonuses and damage. Here's a comparison of the different attacks:

Thunderspire Labyrinth:
- Dagger: +12 vs. AC; 1d4+1 damage
- Shock Bolt: +10 vs. Ref; 1d6+5 damage
- Memory Ripper: +10 vs. Will; 1d10+5 psychic damage
- Horrific Visage: +10 vs. Will; 1d8+3 psychic damage
- Rend Flesh: +9 vs. AC; 2d8+5 damage

MM3:
- Dagger: +11 vs. AC; 2d4+7 damage
- Shock Bolt: +9 vs. Ref; 1d10+5 damage
- Memory Ripper: +10 vs. Will; 1d6+5 psychic damage
- Horrific Visage: +10 vs. Will; 1d8+3 psychic damage
- Rend Flesh: +11 vs. AC; 2d12+5 damage

So, the basic melee attack (Dagger) has significantly increased damage but a reduced attack bonus. Similar changes have been made to shock bolt.

Interestingly, Memory Ripper, their signature attack (it prevents the target from using daily or encounter attacks) has lower damage than before!

Horrific Visage is completely unchanged.

Rend Flesh has increased accuracy and damage, which is most likely, because Enigmas basically turn into brutes when bloodied, and brutes' attack bonus has been increased.

Considering we're only looking at a level 6 monster, these changes should definitely be noticable in play.

Has anyone else noticed a monster that has been reprinted/revised?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Interestingly, Memory Ripper, their signature attack (it prevents the target from using daily or encounter attacks) has lower damage than before!

I think the reason for this is that Memory Ripper is an At Will power.

The old version of the monster would almost never use the Dagger, would only use the Shock Bolt in extremely rare circumstances, and would almost always use Memory Ripper until it got bloodied, in which case it is forced to use Rend Flesh.

So, just upping the damage of the Dagger and the Shock Bolt was still not enough to incentivize DMs to use those powers. Instead, it looks like they also incentivized DMs to use those powers (when appropriate, but more often than with the original monster) by lowering the damage of Memory Ripper.

If they hadn't done that, then the average damage would be:

Dagger: 12
Shock Bolt: 10.5
Memory Ripper: 10.5

DMs still would almost never use the Dagger or Shock Bolt. No brainer.

But by lowering the average damage of Memory Ripper to 8.5, DMs now have to make a decision to either really damage a PC, or semi-damage and hinder a PC each round.

I actually like the fact that more thought was put into the attacks rolls and damage here and it was not just formulaic.

Jhaelen

First Post
I actually like the fact that more thought was put into the attacks rolls and damage here and it was not just formulaic.
I hadn't thought about it that way, but it makes sense.

It also fits the impression I had when searching for monsters with attack bonuses deviating from the standard: In every case I examined in detail, it seemed to be a purposeful design decision rather than an error; e.g. some attack being more accurate but doing more damage or vice versa.

MM3 really is a high-point in monster design for 4e! I can't wait for MM4. And I guess, I really should have a look at the Essentials Monster Vault, too.

Remove ads