Request: Help with a fun monster to give to a DM

maceo

Explorer
A DM I know says no matter how confident he is about other things he always gets the “jumblies” when it comes to DMing. When he said that it just made me want to stat out a fun monster I could share with him called a Jumblie but I’m not really good with monster design. I know it’s just a silly monster but I just think the “more real” the stat block is the funnier the joke (if that makes sense). Any creative people want to help me design a fun little monster? The only thing I could think of is maybe a Save vs. Fear and I just picture it looking like the attached image. Once I’m done I’ll use that homebrewery site to make it look more “official”. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Jumblie.JPG
    Jumblie.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 332

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Jumblies do not have any attacks, they have an aura. Get too close to one and stuff happens to you.
Use a young dragon's Frightful Presence to get the stats. Maybe you suffer penalties to WIS and INT checks instead of Frightened.
Multiple jumblies' auras stack. Big groups are worse than just one or two.

Jumblies disguise themselves with the Gnome racial Illusion power, to look like random TTRPG players.
A jumblie not expecting to be in an encounter looks like a Tribble (Star Trek original series): harmless warm fuzzball and cute.

aco175

Legend
Too Cute to Die- It has advantage to saves and attacks against it are at disadvantage like it is always dodging.

You could always have giant teeth on the bottom side where it floats down upon your head causing you to wear it like a hat while it eats you. It then uses its alter self ability to appear like you.

Quickleaf

Legend
Jumbled Aura. Any creature entering within 5 feet of a jumblie or starting its turn within 5 feet of a jumblie must make a DC 9 Intelligence saving throw. For every additional jumblie whose area the creature is within, rather than require multiple saves, increasing the DC by +1. On a failed save, the creature can't speak intelligibly and any spells with verbal components that it casts while within 5 feet of the jumblie are reversed as determined by the DM (e.g. bless becomes hex).

maceo

Explorer
Thank you [MENTION=6803337]Eltab[/MENTION], [MENTION=27385]aco175[/MENTION], and [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]! Those are all great ideas. The disguise part, the disruption of verbal spells, the Frightful Presence...all great. It gave me the idea reading your ideas of maybe adding a table for the PC to roll on with different results. Thanks again!

Remove ads