Resolution

bmadden

First Post
I imagine many (if not most) powers in 5e to be of the form: Hit: <effect> Miss: <diminished effect>

In order to prevent the boredom and despair of missing in combat that existed in previous versions of D&D, no longer will one's turn have no effect at all.

After all, missing with cursed dice may cause boredom. Better to have everyone engaged in combat all the time.

Sadrik

First Post
I imagine many (if not most) powers in 5e to be of the form: Hit: <effect> Miss: <diminished effect>

In order to prevent the boredom and despair of missing in combat that existed in previous versions of D&D, no longer will one's turn have no effect at all.

After all, missing with cursed dice may cause boredom. Better to have everyone engaged in combat all the time.

I think 4e clearly went with the offensive player making the roll and the defensive player sets the DC. When 4e was released I was 100% sold on the format, recently my mind has begun to change. In 1e/2e/3e they all used the save system. The system added a little bit of drama to the die roll.

DM: “save for the fireball”
Player: Picks up his favorite d20, kisses it for good luck and rolls

Now it is, I roll to hit and do damage based on that. The defense just gets what is coming and never really has a stake in defense other than at character creation.

Heck even AC could be done this way too. Every sword blow hits – unless they dodge/deflect/block it…

So the reason I say that here is that when you put the emphasis back on the player defending the attack then it feels less like you have to have a diminished effect on every power/spell/basic attack.

Remove ads