Resources for Playing D&D Online

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
A list and information on various ways to play online.

Virtual Tabletops
  • Roll20:One of the more popular VTT available. It is a hosted/SaaS service that is browser based so people can play from many different devices. It start out with a free level service and has two higher level subscriptions that add additional storage space and features such as macro and API access.
    • Beyond20: This is an browser extention for Chrome which allows you roll attack, saving throws, skills, etc. directly from a D&D Beyond character sheet and have the results show on Roll20's chat window. Also works with Foundry VTT and Discord.
    • VTT Enhancement Suite: A browser extentions for Firefox and Chrome that provides user interface and functionality improvements to Roll20.
    • BetteR20 Core/5eTools: Another enhancement suite for Roll20.
  • Fantasy Grounds: Another very popular VTT. It is a installed application with a server-client architecture so all the data and control is done through the host (GMs) computer. It has both one-time and subscription licensing of two different levels; Standard (all people must have Standard or higher license) and Ultimate (only the GM needs a license).
  • Tabletop Simulator: This program isn't specific to RPGs, and approaches VTT in fairly literal manner (there's even a VR option). The cost is $19.99 (but it is frequently on sale for less), and requires each member of your group to purchase the program. After the initial purchase, there are many free options and assets to customize your gaming space for your particular game of choice. There are many free prepackaged sets for playing D&D and other specific RPGs if you don't want to do all the work yourself. Includes its own of VoIP, but can be used in combination with others, like Teamspeak, Discord, etc.
  • Astral Tabletop: Appears to be endorsed by DriveThruRPG. One of the easier VTTs to use. Support most editions of D&D, and a host of other RPGs. Free, with paid upgrades for more features and increased storage space.
  • D20PRO: A multi-platform VTT specialized in D&D, Pathfinder, and Starfinder.
  • The Foundry VTT: Self-hosted, developer-friends VTT.
  • Epic Table: Virtual tabletop.
  • RPG Plus: Mobile VTT app for Android and iOS devices.
Voice & Video Chat
  • Discord: Private video chat with up to 9 friends.
  • Google Hangouts, or the professional version Google Meet.
  • Discord: Text, voice, and video chat.
  • Teamspeak: Freeware voice chat.
  • Zoom: Web conferencing.
  • FaceTime. Apple's video chat.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Just had our first Discord based video-chat session last night and it mostly went well. 4 players + me, only a couple of sporadic issues (short bursts of lost audio/video for individuals). The UI was nice and clean and has the option of a text chat when needed.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Call me a grognard if you like. I'm setting up a Discord server for my group and I'm having a hell of a time actually gettin a dice bot installed.

Researching Sidekick lead me to a link that said it would install. Took me to the Discord site, did a validation song and dance and announced that I was authorized. Which is all well and good I suppose, but it didn't actually download or install anything. Discord still doesn't recognize any of the Sidekick commands.

Could someone walk me through this? I'm not in love with Sidekick, Rollistream looked good as have several others. Rollistream seemed very well documented, but nothing in there had any link to how to obtain or install such a bot.

Advice, please?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Well, I got two of the group to check in with my Discord server. I can video chat with them, but I have to keep switching back and forth. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to merge the calls.

And we're still struggling to add a dice bot, any dice bot.

That part where everybody says, "Quick and easy"... Yeah, about that...

But I can't really complain. Just as likely this is me being thick. It's odd becasue I'm a programmer/analyst by trade, and tech is my business. But when it comes to this particular challenge I seem to be extrordinarily clueless. Ah well...

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I can video chat with them, but I have to keep switching back and forth. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to merge the calls.
You can make a Group DM and then start a video chat. Not sure if you can add people to an individual video chat. But I agree that Discord UI is not super intuitive.

Remove ads