D&D 5E restart or rewrite or new?

Would you rather they restart old settings recreate them or just make new ones?

• Poll closed .
Honestly, I can understand this "cowardice" these days. Whatever you publish, someone will be offended and will try to roast you.
I don't think it's that kind of cowardice though, I don't think they're afraid of pushback because they "do an Oriental Adventures" and people get mad or something, I think they're just afraid of investing time/money in a setting that might not be popular. And the main reasons they're afraid are both the very legit one that TSR pumped out a bunch of unsuccessful settings and blew a ton of money, and the much less legit one that they've only ever done one new setting, and whilst it was very well-received, what if the next one wasn't?

But it looks like we have 1-2 new settings on the way at least. I just hope they're less generic.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
And the main reasons they're afraid are both the very legit one that TSR pumped out a bunch of unsuccessful settings and blew a ton of money, and the much less legit one that they've only ever done one new setting, and whilst it was very well-received, what if the next one wasn't?

Well did TSR have the analysis tools and do the researchto know what themes and tones were popular with which audiences? Or did they shoot out a lot of settings because they had to and thought they were cool.

Quite frankly, the designers in WOTC has the tools and skills to make a new setting that sells well. The fact that they haven't yet is proof that milking nostalgia was a core goal by those in charge of strategy.

Quite frankly, the designers in WOTC has the tools and skills to make a new setting that sells well. The fact that they haven't yet is proof that milking nostalgia was a core goal by those in charge of strategy.
I mean, that's one interpretation. I don't think it's "proof" or the only interpretation. I think equally until the last few years there wasn't much of an appetite to invest in D&D, and the popularity took them by surprise. I suspect that ever since that happened they've been looking at new settings, because Winninger implied they'd rejected a few (IIRC), but just hadn't found the right one. Indeed he was somewhat circumspect even in talking about the fact that they did have one now, and seemed to indicate it might not make the cut. So it seems like whilst playing to nostalgia and using D&D as a cross-marketing tool was an initial goal with 5E (as an "apology edition" - note Blizzard are doing a similar "apology expansion" with World of Warcraft after deviating too far from what people actually enjoyed with that game), and they're still interested in that, they are interested in doing more and have been for at least a little while.

Hussar

Legend
Well did TSR have the analysis tools and do the researchto know what themes and tones were popular with which audiences? Or did they shoot out a lot of settings because they had to and thought they were cool.

Thing is, the company goals are so different now than they were before that it's really hard to compare.

Since the release of 5e, WotC has pursued a pretty clear policy - every release is a major event. So, they bank on having only a couple of releases a year, but, they are going to do everything in their power to make sure that those releases are successful. And, I'd say that this policy has been an unbelievable success.

Now, as far as milking nostalgia goes, sure, they certainly did that. But, there's been stuff that's been new too. Candlekeep Mysteries, Dragon Heist, now Strixhaven and soon Radiant Citadel. These are all pretty original stuff. So, they aren't just banging the nostalgia drum.

Given that the 50th is coming up, I really don't think we're going to see a really original setting. Although, I might be totally wrong. Maybe they'll use the 50th to try to really hammer a new setting down. I doubt it, but, it could happen.

Honestly? I think they'll do a sort of mini-playtest period to create a new setting. We'll get a truly original setting when you start seeing a series of Unearthed Arcana's teasing features of the new setting in order to drive up hype. But, considering we're getting Dragonlance and then Spelljammer? Naw, we're not going to see a completely new setting for a while. If you want a new setting, much better to go 3rd party for that.

I would be happy if they got off the Sword Coast and explored other parts of FR. There are so many other kingdoms and lands that have enough variance that they can have whole campaigns that make a 50$ themselves. Let the Dales or Cormyr have an Toril-shaking event.
This. I thought I was tired of FR but now that our campaign has moved to Chult, it seems I was just tired of the Sword Coast.

I would like to see an official setting where humans are actually the minority. They can have grand cities, but there should be equally powerful kingdoms for the other races.
yeah, I had notes on an idea way back in 2e that I found right around the end of 4e and I think are still on my book shelf... basicly playing on the idea that all the half___ races other half is human made 'pure' humans rare but elves (anyone with more then 3/4 elf heritage counted) being the dominate race and Hafling a close second... but there were more half elves and Muls then anything

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So it seems like whilst playing to nostalgia and using D&D as a cross-marketing tool was an initial goal with 5E (as an "apology edition" - note Blizzard are doing a similar "apology expansion" with World of Warcraft after deviating too far from what people actually enjoyed with that game), and they're still interested in that, they are interested in doing more and have been for at least a little while.

Making a new setting wasn't a priority now or back then. However I think it should be one in order to display what the base view of the edition. It shouldnt take 6 years.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I'm actually very surprised they're suddenly doing so many settings - as noted, one of the big problems faced with TSR was that many if not most people didn't use any published setting and very few used more than one. So they were competing with themselves, turning a potential success into multiple failures. It's a surprise to see WotC doing the same again.

Remove ads