• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Restoration vs. multiple level loss

Kalendraf

Explorer
According to the wording for Restoration, it can only restore 1 lost level that a character may possess:

SRD said:
Restoration

This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it also dispels negative levels and restores one experience level to a creature who has had a level drained. The drained level is restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is equal to or less than one day per caster level. A character who has a level restored by restoration has exactly the minimum number of experience points necessary to restore him or her to his or her previous level.

Can multiple castings of this spell restore multiple lost levels on a character? For example, will 2 restorations be enough to return a character who has lost 2 levels. I suspect the answer is yes, but I just want to make sure.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Sure. You just need to cast the spell once for every level lost, and all must be within a day per caster level, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
Kalendraf said:
Can multiple castings of this spell restore multiple lost levels on a character? For example, will 2 restorations be enough to return a character who has lost 2 levels. I suspect the answer is yes, but I just want to make sure.

I agree, it's somehow similar to healing hit points or ability damage, so I think that multiple castings would stack.

Denalor

First Post
Can this ruling be ascertained somehow ? In some "official" link ?

We just had an encounter with a nasty Shadow Drake, which - despite the GM's lack of exploitation of its potential - drained half the group of levels... including our main cleric, who was drained from 6th to 3rd Level.

As our group is very large (7+) and we only play every two weeks for a couple of hours this effectively mean a loss of one year's worth of XP.

So obviously there is a lot of discussion about just this issue.

Is multiple casting of Restoration allowed and does it actually restore one level each ? Or do you need Greater Restoration"

Jhulae

First Post
I'd think just because of the circumstances of your play time, the DM would (or should) allow it, regardless.

Of course, if the GM only wants to give back one level, perhaps you can find a cleric who can cast Greater Restoration, as it *specifically* says:

SRD said:
This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it dispels all negative levels afflicting the healed creature. This effect also reverses level drains by a force or creature, restoring the creature to the highest level it had previously attained. The drained levels are restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is no more than one week per caster level.

So, maybe you can go a-questin' for a cleric to cast 7 of those on your party.

irdeggman

First Post
Denalor said:
Can this ruling be ascertained somehow ? In some "official" link ?

How about the following? (from the SRD)
COMBINING MAGICAL EFFECTS
Spells or magical effects usually work as described, no matter how many other spells or magical effects happen to be operating in the same area or on the same recipient. Except in special cases, a spell does not affect the way another spell operates. Whenever a spell has a specific effect on other spells, the spell description explains that effect. Several other general rules apply when spells or magical effects operate in the same place:

Stacking Effects: Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves. More generally, two bonuses of the same type don’t stack even if they come from different spells (or from effects other than spells; see Bonus Types, above).
Different Bonus Names: The bonuses or penalties from two different spells stack if the modifiers are of different types. A bonus that isn’t named stacks with any bonus.

Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths: In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.

Same Effect with Differing Results: The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant: Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. Both spells are still active, but one has rendered the other useless in some fashion.

Multiple Mental Control Effects: Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.

Spells with Opposite Effects: Spells with opposite effects apply normally, with all bonuses, penalties, or changes accruing in the order that they apply. Some spells negate or counter each other. This is a special effect that is noted in a spell’s description.

Instantaneous Effects: Two or more spells with instantaneous durations work cumulatively when they affect the same target.

The restoration spells are instantaneous effect so they work cumulatively. So each casting works to restore 1 level. You will end up loseing xp since you will be at the minimum necessary for the resotred levels but you will get back your levels.

Elethiomel

First Post
I don't know the Shadow Drake, but "normal" level drain only inflicts negative levels, then after 24 hours you make a fortitude save to see if they're actually turned into removed levels. Are you saying that all your 7+ players failed those saving throws? If it hasn't been 24 hours since the battle yet, one Restoration spell will dispel all negative levels affecting that character.

Assuming, of course, that no house rules or special monster powers have come into play.

Denalor

First Post
More than 24 hours have passed and yes, almost everybody failed their save (only one successful save).
Our human Cleric had 3 negative levels and failed all his saves 24hrs later (6th -> 3rd)
Our dwarven Fighter/Barbarain (plus some d20 Prestige Class... "Defender" or something like that) got 2 negative levels and saved once (8th->7th)... he has something like +16FORT save :D
Our dwarven Cleric/Fighter got one negative level and failed her save (7th->6th)
Our human Scout also got 2 negative levels and failed both his saves (7th->5th)
Not everyone of the group caught the breath weapon though. Our Wizard (7th) was flying invisibly and thus effectively evading its breath completely (and his Confusion on the Drake saved the whole group !)and my own character (ROG/FTR) (7th) had been severely poisoned in a previous encounter (loss of 10 CON), so I made sure to be outside the Drake's range (and did no contribution at all to the Drake's demise :\ ).
Anyway, the DC was something around 20, so...

No Restoration spells available, so it was just a "Kepping the fingers crossed"

So there had been some discussion about Restoration vs Greater Restoration in regard to restoring multiple level loss.

Thanks to irdeggman's research and comment I suppose the issue will be closed next session... that is: if we can find at least a 7th Cleric willing to cast that sorely needed spell... preferably able to cast all 7 Restorations within 7 days... and there is only a single temple in this... well... city... town... whatever

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads