• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Rests & Level Up

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I have yet to have any issue with it in actual play, it just means there's less narrative focus on setting up camp and doing watches every night. I don't really notice it as missing because the gm kind of skips over narrating sleep. Also speeds up travel, because you don't have to go over watches every time and all that.

It felt odd when we chose to take a week long boat trip after one or two encounters (instead of going over land), that it didn't get a heal up or daily's back. Apparently we spent the week being very depressed.

I think most games I've been in that have a lot of travel end up with a set watch order and the DM only stopping the fast forward when something happens. (Like the fast map traverse in Brisco County Jr.).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have yet to have any issue with it in actual play, it just means there's less narrative focus on setting up camp and doing watches every night. I don't really notice it as missing because the gm kind of skips over narrating sleep. Also speeds up travel, because you don't have to go over watches every time and all that.
Oh, I never go over watches in D&D. I assume the characters split it up evenly, and if they get attacked mid-rest, I roll randomly for who’s on watch at the time. If the players want to split it unevenly (like the elf wants two shifts cause they sleep half as long anyway), I’ll weight the dice roll accordingly.

Horwath

Legend
Oh, I never go over watches in D&D. I assume the characters split it up evenly, and if they get attacked mid-rest, I roll randomly for who’s on watch at the time. If the players want to split it unevenly (like the elf wants two shifts cause they sleep half as long anyway), I’ll weight the dice roll accordingly.

that is great idea, but maybe ambusher are very cunning and will wait until most incompetent member of the party is on watch :p

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
that is great idea, but maybe ambusher are very cunning and will wait until most incompetent member of the party is on watch :p
Sure, but then just decide who that is and say, “while Weakling McGee is on watch...” No need to set the order.

Horwath

Legend
Sure, but then just decide who that is and say, “while Weakling McGee is on watch...” No need to set the order.

we usually put one with lowest percetion on watch first while there is still some daylight so we can try to mitigate some out of low perception.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
In play I find it needs to be 3 days (with the same amount of time before another can be taken), else the short to long ratio favours short-rest classes more than equitably.
There shouldn't be any short rest classes. Forcing the gm to design the game/campaign pacing & structure around making sure the design off class A is balanced against the design of class B by plot armor invisible walls & constant doom clocks on top of making sure the plot is interesting, making sure everyone has reasonable chances at the spotlight, deciding how the world reacts to (un)expected PC actions, & so forth is poor design

Remove ads