• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Results of Gather Information always true?

daemonslye

First Post
I suppose "information" can be construed to be untrue or true but
how do you adjucate this? Low rolls = Untruths? Truths and Untruths
interspersed at each roll level (10/15/20/25/30)? It says higher rolls
produce "better" information..

Can you only "gather information" regarding one subject at a time?
The text below seems to imply this. How many results do you get?
For example, if a i build a simple grid with results at each level does
the character find out all pieces of info up to their roll?

Are there any supplements that expand this skill? (Other than Races
of Destiny which allows the skill to learn the "organizational command
structure" of a group)

Thanks for the help/advice

~D

GATHER INFORMATION (CHA)
Check: An evening’s time, a few gold pieces for buying drinks and making friends, and a DC 10 Gather Information check get you a general idea of a city’s major news items, assuming there are no obvious reasons why the information would be withheld. The higher your check result, the better the information.
If you want to find out about a specific rumor, or a specific item, or obtain a map, or do something else along those lines, the DC for the check is 15 to 25, or even higher.
Action: A typical Gather Information check takes 1d4+1 hours.
Try Again: Yes, but it takes time for each check. Furthermore, you may draw attention to yourself if you repeatedly pursue a certain type of information.
Special: A half-elf has a +2 racial bonus on Gather Information checks.
If you have the Investigator feat, you get a +2 bonus on Gather Information checks.
Synergy: If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (local), you get a +2 bonus on Gather Information checks.

Gather Information doesn't necessarily give you the truth - but it'll tell you what the people you spend the evening hanging out with *believe* is the truth.

For instance, the "real" head of a town council is actually a vampire. However, he's passing himself off as a nobleman, merchant, and wizard. He's also got a puppet on the council who acts as the council's chief. Low DC GI checks (heh ... GI) will tell you the town's run by a council, and probably the names and occupations of some key members. Slightly higher DC checks will tell you the names and occupations of almost all the members, and maybe some of their public policy positions. Higher DC checks will let you know who's actually allied with who on most issues, assuming the council's meetings aren't conducted in secret. Even higher DC checks will tell you that, generally speaking, the lead guy on the council is Mr. X, and maybe some of the major debate in the council even if the meetings are secret.

There's no GI DC to determine that Mr. X is secretly the vampire's lackey, because it isn't "public domain" knowledge. There might be a rumor that they're close friends, or lovers, or whatever, but the exact nature of the relationship is only known to a few.

mvincent

Explorer
daemonslye said:
I suppose "information" can be construed to be untrue or true but
how do you adjucate this? Low rolls = Untruths?
They can, yes. Many of the result charts I've seen (in published adventures) have some incorrect local legends in the results for lower rolls.

Can you only "gather information" regarding one subject at a time?
By RAW that seems correct (well, you technically could do several at a time, but you'd only get results at the end of the total time). However, I would probably allow gathering information on multiple subjects to take less time.

How many results do you get?
For example, if a i build a simple grid with results at each level does
the character find out all pieces of info up to their roll?
From the result charts I've seen (in published adventures), all the lower information was given with a successful roll (not sure how that works with the untruths though).

Are there any supplements that expand this skill?
I'm sure there are, but I don't recall anything that specifically expands on it, however (as mentioned) published adventures in Dungeon magazine and such often have result charts that you can use as samples.

Remove ads