D&D General Rethinking the class name "Druid".

Weiley31

Legend
Eh I'll stick to Druids, Monks(Kung-Fu), Paladins, something involving the word "Viking." Bard, and whatever one other class was a baggage term word, the name eludes me as my mind isn't working 100% due to a Sinus Infection occuring these last few days.

I'll admit that I do want to do a "Battle Nun" monk one day in a future campaign.

Regarding historical connotations, "supernatural" means something like anti-science, able to override the laws of nature.
Yes. You know, like magic.

The term is inappropriate for animistic worldviews, where features of nature are persons, like human bodies are persons.
It is technically inappropriate for a fantasy world which has magic part of its natural order. But everyone actually understands what is meant. Probably you do too. A giant person made out of literal fire is a supernatural entity by the normal understanding of the word. This is bizarre argument.

Yaarel

He Mage
It is technically inappropriate for a fantasy world which has magic part of its natural order. But everyone actually understands what is meant. Probably you do too. A giant person made out of literal fire is a supernatural entity by the normal understanding of the word. This is bizarre argument.
It seems to me, most people dont know what animism is, or what nature beings are.

They seem to assume it means something like polytheism and gods.

The use of the term "supernatural" seems part of this theistic ethnocentrism.

That is the point.

A nature being isnt a "giant made out of fire".

A nature being is the actual fire that is in ones fireplace.

Two different concepts.
What on earth are you talking about? We were talking about D&D elementals.

Also, the thing in your fireplace is just fire.

Yaarel

He Mage
What on earth are you talking about? We were talking about D&D elementals.
No. I am talking about "nature beings" and "animism".

(And how many D&D players seem unaware of what these are.)

Also, the thing in your fireplace is just fire.
Heh, animists beg to differ.

Modern people relate to fire as a lifeless tool. But animists relate to fire as a person with a personality.

Yeah, but ghosts go back to the antiscience connotation of "supernatural".
Yes, in the real world neither ghosts or elementals are generally considered to be things in the domain of science, because they're not real. In a fantasy world things are different, but us players who live in the real world still use the real world terminology. Though it might be interesting to think how people in the setting would classify such things.

Remove ads