D&D 5E Return To Ravenloft In Style

1609888209119.png

Curse of Strahd has become one of the most popular campaign books of Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition. The love of the spooky realms within the mists is still very strong as evidenced by the recent deluxe versions and add-ons recently released by Wizards of the Coast and other companies. Whether travelling to the domain of Strahd for the first time or returning to Barovia to visit old friends and enemies, these products can enhance the experience into something a little more than just a standard D&D campaign.

D&D Icons of the Realms​

Wizkids released two sets of pre-painted miniatures of famous Ravenloft personalities. Legends of Barovia features miniatures of characters central to the original story, such as Strahd, Madam Ava, Rudolph Van Richten and more. Covens and Covenants offers miniatures introduced in Curse of Strahd such as Rose, Thorne and The Abbot. It’s nice to have miniatures of the big players in the story without having to buy packs and packs of boosters to get them. I tend to run D&D campaign books using grid and map combat, so being able to drop Strahd on the board when the players enter Castle Ravenloft is a very exciting prospect. It’s also a signal to the players that they’re approaching an important story moment since my ability to paint is terrible.

Curse of Strahd Revamped​

It’s been almost five years since Curse of Strahd came out and officially opened Fifth Edition beyond the Forgotten Realms and the homebrew worlds of Dungeon Masters around the world. To celebrate the anniversary, Wizards of the Coasts released a deluxe version of the book in a giant coffin shaped box cheekily called Curse of Strahd Revamped. While Tyranny of Dragons got an anniversary release that added a hydro74 cover and combined both of the original books, Curse of Strand is a little more dramatic in a way only Strahd could pull off.

The box opens with a cover sheet featuring Strahd in his ceremonial armor on one side and his 5e stat block on the other. It features the new adventure along with a few small tweaks based on feedback from players involving the Vistani. The map that was stitched into the back of the retail release is here and on a slightly better glossy paper format. There are postcards from Barovia, a DM screen with important info on the campaign as well as moodier art.

The biggest addition to the experience is the larger Tarokka deck included in the box. They are the size of jumbo playing cards and are a larger version of the deck released as an add-on through Gale Force Nine in 2016. I wish they would have been tarot sized and shaped, but I also understand resizing the art would have been a serious pain for the graphics department.

Curse of Strahd Revamped is aimed at two chunks of the D&D audience. It’s great for folks who want to play Curse of Strahd multiple times as well as folks who want a heightened experience with cool props but aren’t willing or able to take a $400 plunge into Ravenloft.

But if you are…

Curse of Strahd: Legendary Edition​

If Curse of Strahd Revamped is the 2-disc Blu Ray release with deleted scenes and a clever box, Beadle & Grimm’s Curse of Strahd: Legendary Edition is renting a theatre, redecorating it like a spooky old castle and hiring actors to wander the audience playing different characters of the story. The craftsmanship on display in this box is remarkable, with paper props of different textures, metal coins of the realm and everything from an actual medallion that can be given to players upon discovery to creepy finger puppets that cleverly walk the line between creepy and cute.

In addition to all that, the stuffed box comes with a companion tube full of maps. A new Barovia map, all of Mike Schley’s original maps and then grid maps for the entirety of Castle Ravenloft. I’m very excited to be able to use all this stuff but the grid maps add such a weight to the package. Rather than killing my printer or tracing out rooms on dry erase boards as players wander the castle, they’ll have iconic encounters in gorgeous pre-drawn maps.

I’ve been impressed with the products Beadle and Grimm have sent me to review, but Curse of Strahd: Legendary Edition goes above and beyond the others that I’ve seen (and loved). It’s all the prep and theatrics I love to do for my campaigns already lovingly put together and I understand why the folks who can afford their products are willing to buy new ones sight unseen. It’s also an argument for players to split the cost of a box like this as a gift to their Dungeon Master, who often is expected to buy all their own materials when they run a game. It’s a great pick for fans of Ravenloft and, if you can figure out a way to afford it, must be seen to be believed.

Thanks to the review copies I’ve been sent here, I’m hoping to run an epic Curse of Strahd game once I feel safe enough to run games in person again. It’s my favorite Fifth Edition campaign book and thanks to the materials discussed here, will be a great way to celebrate seeing my friends in person once again...in the mists...

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

imagineGod

Legend
I'm guessing they went softcover because 1.) its three books (module, supplemental, monsters) and 2.) its all supposed to be a big protective coffin box. Most box sets don't put hardcovers in them.
True, in the 1980s. Yet Boxsets today like the Kickstarters from Pinnacle's Savage Worlds offer hardcovers on boxes too.

Plus, one of the two extra booklets in that box include monsters previously part of the Curse of Strahd hardcover.

Dire Bare

Legend
I don't think that the adventure in softcover (in the Revamped set) is a flaw . . . but the boxed set would have been improved with a nice hardcover of the full adventure with a brand new Hydro74 cover!!! Still, if you don't have the original adventure and/or tarokka cards, this can be a good deal. Especially with the maps, postcards, and other extras. And I love the box! Not something that fits easily on a shelf to be sure, but I LOVE IT!

Ravenloft is definitely the adventure that makes it easy to bling out with all the accessories released for it, both recently and even going back to earlier editions. Is there any other adventure that comes close?

I wish I could justify the expense of the B&G legendary edition. Lots of neat stuff in that giant box!

TheSword

Legend
Seeing this was a wake up call. COVID has made special edition sets like this and the Beadle and Grimm sets utterly useless to me, whereas a year ago I would have chewed my own hand off for those battlemaps, minis, and tokens.

Now if it can’t be saved as a 70 pixels per square inch JPEG I’m not interested 😂

It is an awesome campaign though, one of my favourites as a DM across 30 years of gaming.

Aaron L

Hero
Yeah, I ordered this from Amazon on Friday after reading this review and it arrived yesterday... and wow. Damn, this thing is huge. The coffin box is bigger than my 17 inch laptop. You open up the coffin and the first thing you see is Strahd lying in the coffin, printed on a big sheet of thin posterboard, and on the flipside are printed his full D&D stats.

Underneath that is a plastic housing with one slot for the Tarokka deck and postcards and one slot for the rulebook and DM's screen (with attached ribbons in each of the slots allowing you to lift everything out of its slot without having to pry it out with your fingers, which I like a lot.) The screen is great-looking, being a landscape painting of (I assume) the village of Barovia. And yes, the book is softback, but it is full-size and looks great, and since the books in all the classic old boxed sets were all softback as well I don't have any problems with that.

The Tarokka deck is very big, looking like it's about double the size of a standard playing card deck, and looks great as well.

Overall I am very happy with this and think it was totally worth the cost (70 bucks on Amazon) noting that am not usually one to buy premium edition sets like this since I live on a fixed disability income and usually don't have the money to splurge on things like this, but I had saved up some to get this and am very happy that I did so. This coffin boxed set will look wonderful sitting on a shelf.

Last edited:

Curse of Strahd Revamped is big and heavy, definitely! I still haven't figured out where to store it (currently it's tucked away in the corner by my one bookshelf, which it doesn't even fit on).

Yeah, I ordered this from Amazon on Friday after reading this review and it arrived yesterday... and wow. Damn, this thing is huge.

Aaron L

Hero
Curse of Strahd Revamped is big and heavy, definitely! I still haven't figured out where to store it (currently it's tucked away in the corner by my one bookshelf, which it doesn't even fit on).
When the package arrived from Amazon yesterday I thought "why did they pack it in such a big box?!" because I was expecting something maybe half the size of what it ended up being. When I opened up the Amazon box and saw the actual size of the coffin inside I was duly impressed.

Stormonu

Legend
Oddly, the large size of the coffin box actually turned me off from buying it as I have problems fitting all of my books onto my crowded shelves as is. I literally have nowhere to fit this otherwise impressive set. If it had been the size of the 90's box sets, I'd have made room (by replacing my Domains of Dread boxed set).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases