"Revenge, Renewal and the Promise of a New Year" (Boot Hill/D&D)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
ledded said:
Nice story, I like a good western.
Thanks, I'll have to check yours out soon. I always like a good WWII story!

Chapter Twenty, “Unwelcome Information” , January 6th, 1882:

Meanwhile, back in town. Ruby brought her and Jake's horses back to the Cantina's stable where Pedro and Dorita's hired hand Grant Keebler helps her to secure them. She heads inside for a snack. She decides to then go and look for Chumbley, "At the Alhandra I would guess" she thinks.

That saloon is on Main Street, between Allen and Fremont. She decides to go there the long way, heading down South Street and past both Freemont and Allen Streets. She stops at the building at the end of Front Street, Condon's Bank. She heads inside to say "Hi" to Jake.

Jake's attention is caught by the halo of sunlight around flowing red hair as it passes the windows of the bank. In comes Ruby, more prancing than walking, just a slight flourish of her frilly dress and flashing her pearly white smile at everyone she passes. He thinks to himself “She's always on stage he thinks, but not that I mind.”

Jake calls out, "Good afternoon Ruby. What kind of trouble are you causing today?" "Hi Jake" Ruby says with a smile. "Thought I'd check up on you. How's the new job working out? Looks boring around here." He looks around to make sure that no one is close by. "I met an old acquaintance today, one that is sure to cause me trouble." She looks around to make sure no one is looking. "Who did you bump into today? I don't think you need any help getting into trouble" she says with a laugh as she taps his hat.

Ruby states, "I am going snooping around town today to try to get some information. Hopefully I'll have some by the end of the day. By the way, I bought you a horse. I think we'll be needing them."

Jake puts his hat back in place and says, "I'll tell you about my friend later, this is not a good time." He looks about the room and smiles to the tellers who seem to be looking at Ruby. "A horse huh. Lost my last two in poker games. Where are we going and when? I figured I would look up Baxter when I get out. I think I have a poker game to run tonight and I want to stop in and see Job for a few minutes before then. And sometime between all that I need to see this incompetent fool and find out what kind of trouble he is causing." He smiles some more at the tellers. “Did you tell Nanuet what we are up to? And is Katherine suspicious?"

"Kate went with Nanuet to investigate something that old dwarf was talking about. Wasn't really paying attention to that though. She isn't suspicious, at least I don't think she is."

"I did tell Nanuet about last night and about Kate's husband. He was quiet about it but he seems like a quiet kind of guy. But he asked me to borrow money to buy a horse so I guess he feels comfortable with me and plans to stick around. Well, maybe not I guess, but it's only money right?"

”Maybe I just see the risks in everything, but I wonder if Katherine is in any danger? I hadn’t really thought about that before but she wasn’t riding around the desert before either” Jake scratches the back of his neck and looks Ruby in the eyes, "And now I owe you for a horse I didn't know I needed. I better do well playing poker tonight."

"Don't worry about the horse, you don't own me anything. It's not like I asked you if you wanted one. Besides you can owe me a favor if you're that worried about it. Or..." she pauses, " I'll play you in cards for it. I'm not so bad at cards myself."

"No, no, I pay my debts. We’ll figure that out I guess.” He replied. “Playing cards huh, I don’t know if I could stand you taking my wallet again.” He finishes with a wry smile.

"I'm sure you'll do fine playing poker, Jake. I don't take you as the kind to do poorly too often." She continues, "Oh by the way, Al is back in town. Came right into the Marshall’s office while we were visiting Job. Brave woman, that one. I guess I should be going. I'm going to find that loud mouth Chumbley. Hey, do you think that I should come with you to see Baxter? I know he's afraid of me now but I do have a way of getting’ information, even if people don't really want to share it."

“Let me at Baxter first. We’ll try and hook up before I go see him. When I think I have got all I can for now, I’ll give you a signal. I’ll take my hat off. Then you can come in and do whatever you think is best, I’ll follow your lead.” Then Jake stops and frowns. “And who in blue Hades is Al?”

"Oh I forgot, you didn't meet Al. Al is... well I guess Al is a gunslinger you would say. Al is actually Job's cousin. Went by the jail today to visit him and Al showed up back in town. I'm sure you'll meet Al soon enough. Later tonight I'll tell you a story about how we all met. I guess you haven't heard that yet, huh? I guess we got a lot of talking to do later. But for now I'll leave you to your job."

Ruby arrives at the Alhambra Saloon, where Chumbey is sitting at a table and dining on a large porterhouse steak. He notices her and tips his hat in her direction. Ruby takes a breath and makes her way towards Chumbley. She sits down at his table across from him. “How are you today Chumbley?” Before he can answer she quickly continues. “I know that being the first class journalist you are you might have some information I’m looking for.”

Every time Chumbley tries to get a word in Ruby continues. “Back in Tombstone, there was a man named Thomas Kale. He was from Massachusetts. Unfortunately he passed back in October I think. They say it was an illness but I have some reason to believe that it might not have been. I also think that the Earps might have had something to do with whatever happened, or at least Morgan seems to be uncomfortable with the subject. Was there anything strange going on around that time?”

Much to Ruby's surprise she only receives a five-word response from the talkative halfing of "Sorry, Can't talk about it."

Ruby's reply is even shorter than Chumbley's. "Can't talk about what?" She gets no response. Ruby looks and him and he averts his eyes.

Ruby gives him a pout. "Oh come on Chumbley, aren't we friends? I thought we were... Didn't Katherine and I give you the information about Arcades Gang that made the front page of your paper? Wasn't that helpful to you? I'm only asking for a little tiny bit of information... And if you can't help me then I'm going to have to go talk to Morgan Earp himself and he'll probably be mighty mad I'm asking and then I'll really be in trouble and you know I am trying really hard to stay out of trouble..."

"Oh no, don't do that!" the halfling exclaims. "My publisher and editor, John P. Clum, investigated the story himself and it was his decision not to publish it. Said that Mr. Kale's dying wish was that his wife not find out the circumstances of his dead. Clum is also the Mayor of Tombstone so Marshall Virgil Earp went along with the decision. They were only thinking of poor Mrs. Kale at the time. She had just arrived in town and it was bad enough that she had to find out that her husband was dead, would have broken her heart to find out more than that. Wouldn't have been a good thing to go and upset such a nice lady. Saying that he was sick and died from that seemed like the best thing to do at the time. That wouldn't be altogether unsurprising to her given that he had talked about how sickly he was back east. So that's why I can't talk about it."

Ruby's heart sank lower and lower at Chumbley's confession. She had been so eager to find out what happened she never figured what she would do when her and Jake's suspicions were confirmed. How could she break Kate's husband's dying wish? But maybe that wasn't truth either so Ruby knew she had to find out everything she could.
"So," she said quietly, "Do you know what really happened?"

He replies "Sorry, but as I said before, I can't talk about it." He then lowers his voice and whispers "And I don't think that you'll find anyone else willing to talk either, they're all too afraid of the Earps." He then stops and scratches his chin, and replies "Except maybe James. He might be willing to tell you something about what happened."

"James?" asks Ruby quizzically. "James who? And where can I find him?" Chumbley glances around to make sure he is being overheard and then says "James Earp. He's not at all like his brothers. They all have this tough-guy thing going for them. Virgil and Wyatt let this Marshall thing go to their heads, and their brothers Morgan and Warren are just as uppity as their deputies are. James however has played that game before and has already gotten it out of his system. He was a Civil War hero and later was a deputy up in Dodge City. Said he's had enough guns and killing for one lifetime and wants no part of it. These days all James want to do is make money off his investments and deal Faro at the Oriental Saloon in Tombstone.

Anyway, James seemed to like Tom Kale and was with him around an hour before his death, so he might tell you something. James also knows that he's safe from retribution from his brothers. "

Ruby gives a big sigh as she gets up from the table. She knows what she has to do. She stands next to Chumbley. "Thanks, Chumbley. I really appreciate it. I think you are the nicest Australian I have ever met." With that she gives him a small kiss on the cheek and walks out. She walks back to the Cantina shaking her head wondering how come she can never stay out of trouble.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-one, “The Cartwrights”, January 6th, 1882:

A quartet of riders comes around the bend. Flint mutters "Uh oh, they've come back to the scene of the crime" and begins to draw is revolver. Katherine, Nanuet and Al all recognize the four as the Cartwrights, who they had met earlier in the Marshall's Office. Ruby says "No Flint, it's alright. We saw these men earlier today in the Marshall's office. The men who killed your partner probably stole the cattle from them." Kate began to unfold herself slowly so as not to startle them, and moved to where she could be seen.

Ben Cartwright sees Katherine before him and motions to his sons. They ride up, as Flint, Nanuet and Al come out of hiding to join her. Ben says, "You're the people we saw in the Marshall's Office. What are you doing out here?" Kate consciously relaxed. "This is our friend Flint's claim," she began, waving her hand toward the Dwarf. "His partner was killed, but the law didn't seem inclined to investigate. Nanuet has been talking a look around.

You gentlemen lost some cattle did you not? Nanuet has found tracks across the stream there from a large number of cattle, and Al here saw some tracks of horses outside what seemed to be a rustlers' hideout. I think the problems might be connected. Since you're out here, I'm guessing you didn't have much luck with the County Sheriff?"

"Wasn't in," Ben replies. "The sign on the door indicated that he'd be back later this afternoon. The barber next door said that he and another deputy have been gone for the past few days, out looking for Arcade's Gang." Hoss says, "Would you mind if we stopped and rested our horses here for a few minutes?" Flint says "Fine, sounds like we'll be working together on this. I'll get a pot of coffee going."

The Cartwrights get the their horse water and fed while Flint prepares the coffee. The eight then sit down on a few logs set out as benches and talk. Ben tells them about the Ponderosa, his ranch up by Lake Tahoe, where he and Little Joe live. Adam says "When I felt I was experienced enough I headed out to California to start my own ranch. Hoss later came out and joined me. We decided to come back and help our father with this cattle drive, as it will probably be his last one."

Kate listened closely at the Cartwrights described their ranches. The idea had entered her mind at some time, she wasn’t sure when, that she might like to have a ranch someday. Not for cattle, although she wouldn't rule that out. Horses were what she wanted to raise. She knew how to train and care for them, but the business side was a mystery. As was rather disastrously apparent when Tom got sick and she was trying to oversee the livery.

"I hope you don't mind my questions," she apologized after several questions about the details of ranch operation and the costs. "My husband raised horses in the East, and ranches are of great interest to me."

Flint brought the coffee after a while. "Thank you," she said as he handed her a hot, tin cup. Flint tells about Pete and their claim, finishing with "He was my partner for a third-of-a-century. I want to get the guys who killed him."
Katherine thinks to herself, “At least thirty years Flint had worked with his partner. A person could become entrenched in your life in a much shorter time.” The Dwarf had not shown much emotion before, but having someone violently removed from your life after thirty years must have been a great shock. She would have liked to give him her sympathies, but he didn't seem one who wanted them. The best way to do it was likely to help him track down the rustlers.

They finish their conversations and prepare to move on. They pass the rock formation known as Cochise Head and continue on to the southeast. http://hisl.tamu.edu/images/swus/pages/CochiseHead.htm .

Around a mile later Nanuet identifies the tracks of two riders that branch off from the rustler’s trial and head northeast. They follow these for a quarter mile until the tracks intersect with the main road and continue back northwest towards Promise City. They ride back and continue to follow the tracks of the other three riders and the cattle. Around a mile later these tracks reach the watering hole by the main road where Al had stopped earlier in the day.

From here the rustler’s trail heads the Chiricahua Mountains, which Nanuet knows to be the ancestral land of the Chiricahua Apache. The trail continues to be a rugged and rocky one. Flint tells the others “Not too many people go too far up into these mountains. Some of these mountains go as high as 10,000 feet.” The elevation continues and the terrain becomes rockier, making the rustler’s trail harder to find despite the large number of animals. Without Nanuet’s tracking skills they would have lost sight of it. The trail then heads back downward, into a small box canyon. Flint’s instincts cut in and he quietly tells the others to stop. “Damn, the wind shifted.”

“What?” Katherine states looking a bit confused. Adam says “We were going against the wind before but it’s now blowing in from behind us, picking up the scent of our mounts. If there are any trained outdoorsmen, Indians or even a pack of coyotes in the canyon below they’ll smell us long before they see us.” “Plus that canyon would be a perfect spot for an ambush,” Hoss states.

Flint suggests they backtrack and circumnavigate around the canyon. The Cartwrights agree. Nanuet suggest that he stay behind for a short while and watch the canyon. Little Joe doesn’t like the idea of him staying behind alone and agrees to remain with him. The other six depart.

The six make their way back down the trail and Flint ascertains the best path to get around. Flint wants to move on. Ben says that he will stay behind at this intersection and wait for “Joe and that Mexican”. Katherine says “His name is Nanuet.” Adam says “Um, maybe I should stay instead,” as he and Hoss exchange worried looks. Katherine and Al both sense that there is more going on than they have been told.

Kate took a couple of deep breaths and bit her tongue. Without Nanuet they'd have long lost the trail of their cattle, but Mr. Cartwright didn't even have the decency to call him by name. Plus, she had the feeling they hadn't been told everything. This seemed to be getting more dangerous by the moment, and she wanted to know exactly what she was helping these men accomplish.

"Flint, we can move on in just a moment, but I want to know something first." She turned to the Cartwrights. "Now, I'm not interested in learning why any of you might have problems with Mexicans, I'm just interested in you putting it aside. Nanuet is a good and trustworthy man who has no personal stake in any of this. He is not being paid, he is only trying to help people. Judge him on his own merits and I think you'll find him worthy of your respect. More importantly, I get the feeling that we haven't heard everything about the loss of your cattle. If my friends and I are going to risk ourselves to help you, I think we should know the whole situation."

Hoss rides over closer to her while Adam talks his father into moving onward a short distance. Hoss tells her "Ma'am, we have no problems with Mexicans, or any other race for that matter. Adam and I were reacting to the fact that our father forgot what your friend’s name was. That's been happening more and more lately. There are times that his mind totally wanders and he forgets where he is. That's why Joe had us come back to help him with this drive, and why we suspect it will be his final one."

She felt her face flush. "I'm sorry," she said. "I've just found that there seem to be a lot of tensions out here between different races. We even had to choose where we stayed by who would except those of my friends who were not human. I hope you can forgive me." She paused for a few moments. "Is there nothing to be done? A doctor, or a cleric?"

He replies "My father is fine most of the time. It's only every now and then that his mind wanders. At those times he finds himself living out some novel that he's read. The best thing for him is to just live out his days back on the Ponderosa around those who love him. But he insisted on joining Joe for this drive." Adam and Ben ride back to the others and Hoss changes the conversation to talking about the weather.

Adam Cartwright is the first to detect something wrong as he sits up high in the saddle and raises his hand to signal the others to remain still. Some movement is see behind the trees, which the group make out to be at least six Indian braves behind trees, all armed with firearms. Sound of horses is then heard from back behind where they had left Joe and Nanuet. The group makes it out to be more than just two horses, which they then see as eight mounted Indians come from around the clearing. Flint is the only one with a weapon in his hand and he pulls back the barrel on his revolver to prepare the gun for firing.

Further back, the others have been gone for around ten minutes when Nanuet and Joe see movement down below. A group of thirty Apache warriors move out from various hiding places behind boulders. Most have bows and around half are carrying rifles. They assemble in the middle of the canyon. Two more Indians arrive from inside of a cave near the canyon floor, leading a group of eighteen saddle-less horses. A group of eighteen Indian mount each horse and they ride off, heading towards the opposite end of the canyon. The two who led the horses both return to the cave. The other twelve warriors begin hiking up the mountain trail, in the direction of Nanuet and Little Joe. Joe asks Nanuet "Should we find somewhere to hide or head back to the others."

Nanuet pauses for a moment. Looking over his clothes and the color of his skin he says "Head back and join the others. We won't be able to hide from them. This is their land and I don't think they would take kindly to the two of us hiding here. If certain circumstances were different I would have approached them, but not without a change in appearance. Let's go now." Nanuet and Joe begin to make their way down the trail. They get around 200 feet when a pair of mounted Apache elves ride out from behind a rock cropping and block the trail ahead of them.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-two, “Apache Ambush”, January 6th, 1882:

Nanuet steps in front of Joe and holds up his empty hands. He says softly to Joe "These people and mine are allies, but they will not recognize me. Let me talk to them, and don't do anything stupid."

Turning back to the Apache Nanuet speaks in the Apache tongue "Greetings great warriors. I am Nanuet of the Yavapai, although my appearance does not show the truth. We are looking for men who have stolen cattle and we have followed them here. Have you any knowledge of this?"

A warrior answers "Lay down your weapons and step away from them." Nanuet does as ordered and translates for Little Joe who reluctantly does the same.

A quarter mile away a similar situation has presented itself in that the Indians surrounding the other six have intentionally made themselves more visible and there are at least fifty. Katherine kept her hands very carefully in view as she tried to keep Meribel still. Her own nerves were being communicated to the horse, and she was restive. She didn't dare turn to look behind them, but there had to be at least ten Indians surrounding them, and those she could see didn't look happy at their presence. Especially after her faux pas earlier, she waited for someone else to take the lead. 'What am I doing here?' she wondered to herself.

Flint has put his gun back in his belt, but still within reach. One Indian steps forward and speaking broken common orders the six "Intruders. Get off of your mounts and set your weapons on the ground." "Like Hell" Flint mutters under his breath. He then whispers over to Hoss, Al and Katherine "I've got a dozen sticks of dynamite in my mule's saddlebag. All I need is a short distraction to get and light them."

"Don't be an idiot," Katherine hissed back. "You'd kill us just as fast. Do as they say." She slid down from her saddle and slowly reached for Tom's pistol. She laid it on the ground at her feet and became very aware of the Derringer hidden in her bodice. For a moment she considered keeping it, but what good would two shots do her against fifty armed men? Kate kept her mind very carefully away from any circumstance that might lead them to finding it in it's hiding place. Finally, her face turning scarlet, she reached into her bodice and pulled it out, placing it next to the pistol.

Al, too, slides off her horse and lays both her pistols on the ground at her feet. Then she takes a step away from her guns, standing almost directly in front of Katherine. "We don't mean no harm, gentlemen," she says guilelessly.

Ben, Adam and Hoss do likewise. Flint very reluctantly climbs down from his mule. As Flint is sliding down from his mule, Kate remembered that she was still carrying her small dagger. It was meant for work, not fighting, but if the Indians found it on her it would probably upset them. She had just pulled it from her belt when she noticed Flint glaring at her and Al.

The Indian then commands the six to move away from their weapons and mounts. Flint gives Al and Katherine an angry look and mutters "Cowards." The dwarf then bends his legs and it appears that he's about to make a diving leap towards his mule's saddlebag. In that split second Katherine knew he was going to try to do. The dagger was still in her hand. She held it steady where Flint could see it. "You try that and I'll use this dagger to shave more than your beard. I'm not keen on dying today and I'm beginning to think you weren't worth all this trouble."

Flint takes a look at her dagger. Alone he would have laughed at the weapon, but with dozens of Indians also surrounding him he backs down.

The Indians come forward and collect the weapons and mounts. “Follow me” the leader states and marches back in the direction of the canyon. An armed Indian falls in on each side of the six, with mounted Indians also accompanying them. They join up with Little Joe and Nanuet and the eight are marched down into the canyon.

It takes nearly fifteen minutes to reach the bottom far end where they then veer left and into an area that is a natural amphitheater. In the center of the opening they see what appears to be the ashes of what must have been a large bonfire the night before, as a small amount of smoke is still coming from it. There is also evidence of a prior day’s feast, with the a large pile of charred bones near a firepit and two large wooden frames, each with a stretched out cowhide drying on it. The hides are facing away from the group so the Cartwrights cannot make out if there are any brand marks on them. The eight are motioned to sit upon some logs near the center.

Indians start to enter the amphitheater and take places along the rim. This continues for the next twenty minutes, until nearly every available space is taken. Katherine does a quick calculation of row length and depth and concludes that over two thousand of the Apache are now present. She gives Flint an “I told you so” look. He just glares back at her.

Nanuet looks at the others and explains that he can do very little with his current appearance. He tries to jog his memory and attempts to notice if he has any knowledge of Apache rituals and what they might be doing now.

An Indian shaman comes out. He makes a hand gesture and the thousands of Indians all start to chant “Gonolkal”. Nanuet recognizes the word as one that translates into the phrase “the battle is over”, however he knows that in some dialects it just means “battle”, so is unsure of what context it is being used here.

He walks up to Nanuet and says in the Apache tongue "You say that you are one of the people yet you come into our land dressed as our enemy. Were you unaware that Geronimo's family were killed by the wood elf?"

The shaman commands two Apache to stand Nanuet up and strip him of his Mexican garments. He does not resist, and is soon stripped down to his tan cloth pants. The shaman then orders the two Apache braves to hold Nanuet as he casts a spell. The magic that had been used to change Nanuet's skin tone is stripped away and his hair re-grows back to its original length. The shaman says, "Now you are presentable for an audience with the chief."

Nanuet feels somewhat relieved to be back to his normal appearance. He stands proudly with his chin up. He squints against the sun, the wrinkle of years spent in the hot sun show on his face and says, “I am ready.”

The shaman calls three Indian warriors who bring out firewood and arrange it on the smoldering ash pile. They soon ignite and a fire starts to roar up. Fling softly mutters “They’re gonna roast us.”

The Shaman walks to the back of the fire then reaches both hands into a pouch on his belt. He takes out two hands full of a green powder and dramatically throws it into the fire while reciting an incantation. A bright flash of multi-colored light rises up. The incantation of the thousands of Indians immediately changes from ‘Gonolkal’ to ‘Battle done’. The Shaman motions for them to cease chanting and announces “All present should now understand the languages of each other.” Always the skeptic, Flint decides to test this and whispers to Al in dwarven “Are you really a man or a woman?”

The shaman reaches into his pouch and takes out a small clay pot. He makes another gesture and tosses it onto the ground. A grayish-white cloud of smoke erupts on the spot. When it dissipates an Indian with a full headdress of feathers is standing there.

The shaman gestures to Nanuet and says “Geronimo, this one has led these humans onto our land.” Flint softly mutters “Do I look like a human?” Geronimo and the Shaman both move closer towards Nanuet. The Chief stares Nanuet in the eye and says "Explain".

Nanuet looks Geronimo in the eye: "Great chief Geronimo. I lead them in search of cattle that were stolen from them. Also a man was murdered because he may have seen the thieves. We only seek these men, and justice. We have no intention of taking anything from your land and we do not mean to impose."

Geronimo replies, "Why should I care about the white man's cattle. The Apache did not take them. The Apache did not kill any man. Why do you cross our land and make these false accusations against us?" While this exchange is taking place the Shaman is looking very intently at the other seven. He begins to walk towards them.

Katherine kept her body still and her mind moving. Geronimo was obviously touchy. If she was required to speak, she would have to choose her words very carefully. It was obvious to her to Nanuet had not meant to imply that the Apache took the cattle, but it was the assumption Geronimo made.

It was strange to see Nanuet back in his original appearance, and even stranger to remember her first fear-filled reaction to him. Perhaps that was why she had overreacted when she thought Mr. Cartwright had insulted him. She hated the thought of that kind of ugliness inside herself. And yet here she was surrounded by what seemed her every fear realized, but somehow she wasn't terrified. Scared yes, but not out of her wits.

The Shaman had stopped watching his chief and had turned his eyes to the other members of the party. Kate appeared to keep her attention on the Chief and Nanuet, but from the corner of her eye she watched the Shaman approach. Her only reaction was the quickening of her heart. Outside, she kept completely still.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-three “Nanuet’s Obligation”, January 6th, 1882:

The Shaman stands before Ben Cartwright and states “I know you.” Ben replies, “Sorry, I don’t recall.” Geronimo stops talking with Nanuet and moves over to his primary spellcaster. “How do you know this man?” the Chief asks.

The Shaman replies, “It was I believe eighteen seasons ago. A United States Army Captain named Moss Johnson had invited Chief Cochise to a peace talk. It was a trick; Johnson had used the talks as an opportunity to poison all of the Indians present. I only had three Neutralize Poison spells and used the first for Cochise and the second on his subchief. He made me use my final one on myself. The other thirty brave warriors all died.” “And this man was an accomplice?” Geronimo exclaims.

The Shaman replies “No, the opposite. We three survivors rounded up several dozen Apache warriors to find Johnson and make him pay for his crime. He escaped and we hunted him for several days. When we caught up with him he had taken refuge with this man and his sons. This man insisted upon talking to Cochise and discovering the truth. He swore that he would see the man brought to justice and kept that word." Ben says “Sounds like something I’d do, but I still don’t remember.”

Adam says, “I remember it well. I got shot by one of Cochise’s braves.” The Shaman says “Yes, that was one thing that impressed Cochise the most. This man had every reason to fight us, being told lies by the soldier and with his son badly wounded, but instead he chose to discover the truth.” Little Joe speaks up “My father’s memory has been failing as of late, but I’ll vouch for what was just said, I was there too.” “And I” Hoss adds. The Shaman concludes by saying, “Cochise declared this man and his family to be friends of the Apache.” Geronimo stops and ponders this. He walks back to Nanuet and says “Continue your narrative.”

Katherine didn't even know she had been holding her breath until she released it. It was getting surreal. But she wasn't going to look good fortune in the mouth. She only hoped that the Apache's attitude toward the Cartwrights extended to their companions.

"As I was saying Great Chief, a few men appear to have stolen their cattle." Nanuet points to the Cartwrights. "That dwarf's partner who was guarding their property was killed, most dishonorably by a knife in the back. We believe it is because he saw the cattle rustlers. We followed their tracks this way. I did not mean to accuse you or your people great chief. The men who stole the cattle wore spurs, at least one of them, your people do not."

"Also, I am also familiar with the Johnsons. Moss Johnson is the father of James Johnson, the man responsible for the Yavapai massacre. He slaughtered my family, my tribe. I know your pain. Great Geronimo, we did not mean to disturb your people, only to catch these murdering thieves."

Geronimo replies "The Apache have few friends from among the white men. Cochise extended our of friendship to these men" (and gestures to the Cartwrights). "In my lifetime only a few humans have earned that honor from me. One was a tracker named Harvey Knowles. He was aware of our current plight, that the game in the mountains has become scarce and my people are suffering from hunger. He asked permission to bring cattle through our mountains and in return he leaves one in twelve for our needs."

Geronimo heads back to the Cartwrights and asks them to describe the specific brand on their cattle. Ben again says that he does not remember. Hoss describes the brand on the recently purchased cows from New Mexico. Geronimo says to them "I am truly sorry then. That one friend would steal from another friend of ours is not something that I would have considered. We will no longer permit Knowles and his associates from using our lands for passage. He left five of your cattle with us. Two have already been consumed but we will return the other three to you. We will also compensate you for the other two."

Ben replies "No further compensation is necessary. Your people were hungry, now they are fed." Geronimo replies, "Cochise was wise to name you a friend. I would ask that you Ben Cartwright remain with us for a few days. We have healers and medicine that can be used to restore your memory to what it had been and will do this in return for your having fed of our people." "Clerics and priests have already tried to help him. They said he couldn't be cured.," Little Joe states. Geronimo replies "White man's medicine. There are things known to us that surpass that. We have seen this affliction before and know of a successful cure."

He then returns to Nanuet. "The men you hunt are in caves near the human community known as Galeyville." He then gestures to Al and says "My scouts have told me that she is aware of how to reach it from that human settlement. You can reach that town by way of the main road. There is no reason for you to travel again through our land. When you do find these men I ask that Knowles be allowed to return alone to our lands. His methods of acquiring cattle were not honorable, but he has saved my people from starvation and we owe him for that."

The tension is now starting to ease and it sounds as though Geronimo is planning to release his captives when he then raises his voice and says to Nanuet "You and your associates are responsible for the death of my ambassador. Why did she need to perish for your own selfish concerns and what retribution do you now offer?"

Nanuet speaks in a loud and clear voice. "Neither I nor my associates are responsible for her death. I asked for no one's help. She decided as the others did, of her own free will to help me. It is very sad and unfortunate that she died for a cause that was not her own."

He takes out the blue wampum bead and hands it to Geronimo "I offer myself in her place great chief in service to you. I did not know her long but she was strong and wise. I doubt I measure as her equal, but I will do for you what I can. If you wish to enact any punishment on me I will accept it without question."

The fire flickers and the air around the group grows chilled. in the smoke of the flames members of the party seem to see a misty form of a female centaur. She places her hand on Nanuet's shoulder then disappears or maybe it was just the smoke that drifted into their eyes playing tricks on them.

The Shaman states to Nanuet "You underestimate yourself. The spirit of Storm Golden Eye has judged you to be a worthy successor."

Geronimo says "So be it. Nanuet, a year ago we were on the brink of war with the white men. A centaur named Qualtaqa from the Hopi tribe came before me to offer his counsel. He appealed for the Apache to find a way to live in unison with the humans. I did not agree and sought to drive them from this land by discreetly having my warriors sabotage their mining machines. Another of the people, a half-breed named Morgana, discovered what we were doing an echoed Qualtaqa's words. I made them my ambassadors and let them go to the human settlement to make this peace that they sought.

They were successful, gaining assurances from both the County Sheriff and regional Army Commander that the humans would stay out of the mountains and leave the Apache alone. But both ambassadors have now gone away for some unknown reason. My shaman senses that a great body of water now separates them from us. Storm Golden Eye was from Qualtaqa's tribe and came searching for him. I sent her to the human settlement to find what had become of him and to continue his work until the time that he and Morgana return.

That task is now yours. You are now the ambassador to the Apache people. Maintaining the peace between the humans and elves is now your responsibility. Return to the human settlement known as Promise City and make my wishes known to those who rule there."

"Great chief, I am humbled by this honor you have bestowed upon me. I will ask my ancestors to aid me in this task, for it is a critical one." Nanuet shows his respects to Geronimo in the appropriate manner and then returns to his friends. "Well, we should be able to find the rustlers now without much problem. I think we should do as Geronimo asks and bring Knowles to him. He will receive an appropriate punishment, of that I am certain. The others we can bring back to town and let the sheriff handle. What do you think?” Nanuet looks at Al "Well, you have been there before. Can we make the ride in so short a time?"

Before Al can answer Nanuet turns to Katherine and says, "Ms. Kale, I wouldn't want you to miss your appointment. I also don't want you riding alone. Maybe one of these fine gentlemen will bring you back to Promise City?" Al looks at Nanuet, patiently waiting for him to finish talking to Mrs. Kale.

"I wouldn't count on it," she says in a low voice. "The way this is going, we won't make it out to Galeyville till near nightfall. I can still guide y'all to those caves by night, but sounds like Mrs. Kale here needs to make her appointment. By the time we get off these folks' land, we'll be almost on top of Promise City anyhow. You all still want to do this tonight?"

She smiles then, checking the gun at each hip, and looks at Nanuet, "'Course," she says, "can't guarantee those rustlers won't be up an' outta there by mornin'." Katherine says, "I think you should go tonight. I can go back into town when we're close by and you can move on. I don't think I'll be much help to you in catching cattle rustlers anyway."

Geronimo interrupts the conversation between Nanuet, Al and Katherine. He says "We are not yet finished. You have chosen a dangerous path Nanuet, one that we can assist you with."

The Shaman then returns to Nanuet and says, “Being the ambassador to the Apache has proven to be a dangerous job for those before you. We will not send you and your allies back into the human settlement without proper safeguards.”

The shaman reaches behind his neck and removes the silver necklace that he is wearing. The silver chain is a half-inch in diameter and hanging from it are a fifteen pendants hanging in the front of the necklace made of turquoise stones, each held in place by a thin silver wire frame. The pendants are all cylindrical shaped and range in length from one that is five inches in the center of necklace to those only an inch long on each of the outer edges. The shaman places the necklace around Nanuet’s neck. Nanuet had anticipated it to be heavy due to the stones but he can barely feel any weight at all from it.

The shaman then casts a spell upon Nanuet and each pendant glows a deep blue color while the necklace itself radiates a white light. The lights then fade and the necklace and stones regain their prior coloring. The Shaman says “The necklace itself will help protect you from harm. Each of the pendants will provide healing. When one is needed pull it from the necklace, place it inside the injured person’s closed fist and say Da' nzho, the Apache word for 'It is Good'. The degree of healing provided is proportional to the size of the stone. The center stone has the power to even save one as badly hurt as your predecessor”

The Shaman then walks over towards Al and Katherine. He says, “You women have befriended Nanuet. I see from each of your astral auras that you are people of great courage with a sense of determination equal to that of a true warrior of the people. Nanuet will need the strength of such strong friendships to be successful in his new mission. Are you willing to assist our ambassador and help to protect him while he is in the land of the humans?”

Katherine paused a moment before answering. She certainly didn't feel courageous. Determined maybe. And quite definitely worried. She speaks up saying to the Indian "I'm not sure what protection or assistance I can offer, but it is his. I would begin with this, although it is beyond my powers. The circumstances of Storm Goldeneye's death also caused the need for the change in Nanuet's appearance. He may be endangered if he wears his true face in Promise City."

The Shaman replies "The spirits of my ancestors inform me that you are smart and resourceful and should be of great assistance in the days to come. You have only begun to tap into the powers available to you."

He then walks back to Nanuet and says “You should never be ashamed of who you are. If it is your past that you are hiding from that can be remedied.”

The Shaman reaches into a pouch on his pelt and removes a powder that looks to be a mixture of red sand and silver shavings. He throws it above Nanuet’s head and the dust falls upon him. The Shaman then begins a long incantation. The red and silver dust dissolves and appears to melt into Nanuet’s skin. The Shaman ends the incantation and says, “It is done. The only people who will remember you before this moment are your blood relatives or those who are present at this ceremony.”

Kate looked at Nanuet with a half-smile on her face. "Well, this will be fun to explain to Ruby and Jake, won't it?"

She then says, "Thank you, Chief. This will indeed protect him."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-four, “Riding Back to Promise City” , January 6th, 1882:

Geronimo tells the group that Ben Cartwright will remain with the Apache. He instructs Adam, Hoss and Little Joe to meet them at sunset three days later at the rock formation known as Cochise Head and their father will be returned to them.

Seven Apache bring out their mounts. The seven mount up. The dwarven prospector Flint had glanced into his now open saddlebag and mutters to Al "They stole my dynamite". The Indian spokesman who had talked to them before says "Your weapons will be returned to you at the outer edge of our land." Three dozen mounted Apache fall into place around and between the five humans and the dwarf. Nanuet is led up to the front of the procession, riding alongside the Indian spokesman.

Before they leave Nanuet speaks to Geronimo and the shaman one last time, "Great Chief, mighty shaman, I thank you much for your gift and for the opportunity to serve your people. May the spirits of our ancestors grant me the wisdom and patience to perform the duty that you have bestowed upon me. I hope I may never have to use this necklace but it is a great treasure, thank you again for your gift.”

The shaman replies, It is the necklace that is to be treasured, not the stones. The stones are to be used. If you find that the healing arts appeal to you I can provide further training." Nanuet’s concluding comment is “We will return Knowles to you as you asked. Then I will begin my ambassador duties."

Nanuet then takes his place at the front of the procession and begins the journey back to Promise City. "I think our plan will be to drop of Katherine and then head out to the caves. The dark of night may be our ally in this hunt. Flint and Cartwright's, do you still wish to pursue Mr. Knowles and his gang?" Flint mutters "What I need now is a drink."

Joe says "I'm not sure how smart it is walking around an area in the dark that the rustlers know well and we don't. They've probably also trapped it. Which of you are skilled at finding and removing traps?" Hoss states "And it sounds like they may have around fifty-five of our cattle with them, which won't be all that easy to get down from the mountains. How many of you have experience herding cattle?"

"Hell, I can't do either of those things," Flint exclaims. Adam, Hoss and Joe then look at Nanuet, Al and Katherine for their answers to the questions. Kate states, "And neither can I. Which is of little matter if you were to go tonight. I'm afraid you might be right though. As much as I dislike the idea of giving these men time to move, breaking your neck trying to work in the dark is much worse. If you go tomorrow we have a couple friends in town, but I don't know if they have those skills either."

Nanuet comments, “You make good points Cartwrights. I can find traps, but taking them apart is another story. I have led cattle before, but not at night and with more trained cowboys on the job. I am just thinking that they might be able to sneak away if we wait too long.” Little Joe says "Why don't you ask your Indian friends about that. I would guess that even though they allowed the group to go through their territory they were probably watching them the entire time, so would now know where these rustlers are. The Indians also knew your friend Al here found the rustlers' hideout so they're obviously watching those too."

Nanuet then comments “I am supposed to work tomorrow also... hmmm.” Hoss laughs and says "I don't think so, unless your boss happens to be one us of here or a blood relative of yours."

For the first time in months, Katherine laughed outright. "I hadn't even thought of that. I guess you know where there's a job opening to get another though." She chuckled again for a moment. "I think sun-up is a good idea. Perhaps we can find them before they're really awake. And even if they've moved, I can't imagine you move very fast with 50 cattle along. Nanuet concludes, “I guess we go back to town, gather up some help and then try and ride out to the caves at daybreak tomorrow?” Kate suggests,”Why don't we all meet outside the El Parador at sunrise? If we're lucky we could everything finished up by noon."

The Cartwrights agree. The combined group reaches the end of Apache land. Their weapons are returned to them, although the dwarf's weapons and saddlebag with the dynamite is given to Adam Cartwright rather than Flint. The three cattle are also waiting.

The Indian spokesman answers Nanuet's questions about the rustler. He instructs Nanuet "When the main road turns right a mile from Galeyville you want to go right into the mountains. You friend knows the way. You will pass a field of wildflowers with a large Sycamore tree in the center. At the base of the tree we will leave one stone for every man who we observe as being in the cave. If there are no stones then they have moved on and we will leave an arrow pointing in the direction that they have gone."

The Apache ride off. Flint says he is going back to his claim and his items are returned to him once the Apache are all out of sight. The other six ride back towards town. The Cartwrights say they need to head off to the Lazy S Ranch, where they left the rest of the herd and their other ranch hands. Adam says he will bring some good men back to assist them in the morning.

Meanwhile, five miles to the northeast of Promise City......

....at the central ridge of the Dos Cabezas Mountains, a quartet of prospectors are just about to give up on their claim. Prospectors Humphrey Lewis, Patrick Seawell, Ralph Elliott and a dwarf named Torvald MacNaulty had been working this hill for the last five months. The small mountain was actually owned by a Promise City attorney by the name of Hamilton Fisk but the lawyer had agreed to let the four try their luck and drew up a deed granting each a ten-percent share. So far all of the luck had been bad.

A quick check of their resources showed that all they had left for their efforts were two old draft horses, a beat-up old wagon built some time in the 1850's, digging tools, eight sticks of dynamite and $ 14.23 in cash.

They were ready to quit. On Monday they made a pact that if they hadn't found anything by Friday they'd go back to Promise City, try to sell their shares of the deed back to Fisk, sell the cart, horses and tools and then move on for good. MacNaulty came up with the idea that each would spend the rest of the week digging a hole as deep as they could in a new section of the mountain. Then on Friday they would drop two lit sticks of dynamite into each of the four holes and hope that something would come from that.

Now was the time to execute the plan, nicknamed "Go For Broke". Lewis's hole was first. It blew a sizeable chunk off of the northern face of the mountain but all that it revealed was more dirt and rock. MacNaulty's hole didn't have any better results, causing the mountain to shake but little more.

They then tried Seawell's. He had dug his in the steeper eastern face and the explosion caused a major rockslide. The four had to dodge the falling chunks of granite and MacNaulty twisted his ankle, causing him to let off a string of profanities. Seawell felt discouraged as he stood up and brushed rubble off of him as the dust began to clear. The injured MacNaulty continued to yell obscenities at his incompetent friend when the sun shifted and a sparkle caught the dwarf’s eye. "Look" he yelled and they all saw it, a large vein of silver had just been exposed.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-five, “A Cure for Intoxication”, January 6th, 1882, 4:00 P.M.:

Ruby arrives back at the El Parador and walks up to the counter without even looking up to see who is there. "Can I get a nice strong drink please?" She pauses. "Wait you'd better make that a bottle." Pedro hands her one.

Ruby takes her bottle over to a table in the corner, takes a swig, and sits. "I hope Jake gets here before Katherine does" she thinks. "Or before I pass out..." She then looses track of the time.

Across town, closing time at the bank arrives and Jake takes his guidance from the Condon brothers for the routine, learning what they expect. As time allows he cleans as many of the weapons under the counter as he can while the tellers do the end of day routine. Jake does his best to keenly observe the tellers routine, where everything goes, and how it is secured; all the while appearing to be focused on the rifles. As he bids them good afternoon and see you on Monday, he heads out to the various saloons hoping to find Ruby before he goes looking for Baxter.

"A beautiful woman such as you should not be drinking alone" a deep voice states. Ruby glances up and sees a very handsome wood elf named Juan Gomez standing beside her table.

Ruby has seen him at the Cantina before, previously in the company of a very pretty and conservatively dressed human girl in her late teens. He appears to be alone this time and asks "May I join you?" Ruby glances at the bottle and notices it is about one-third gone, so she estimates that she has been sitting her for about an hour.

Ruby wonders for a moment if it is a good idea to sit with this man. Even though she has seen him around she doesn't know anything about him. Plus her thoughts are getting a little fuzzy, so maybe it's not the best idea...
"Sure why not? I could use some company. Name's Ruby."

Juan calls for Dorita to bring him a glass. When she does so he also pays for the entire bottle. He pours himself one and then refills hers. He comments about how he has seen her at the Cantina but was too shy to approach her before. Even in her intoxicated state Ruby realizes that this man doesn't have a shy bone in his body.

He continues to talk about himself, of growing up in a small fishing village along Mexico's Baha Peninsula. He says that he never was all that fond of the smell of the ocean, or the task of cleaning the fish his father and uncles caught, so when he reached the age of 100 (human equivalent of 14 - he is a wood elf) he left home and set out on his path of life. He talks of going to California thirty years earlier to find gold, finding some, and spending the next quarter-century enjoying it. When the money was finally gone he decided to start that process again when silver was discovered in southern Arizona.

The bottle continues to get lower as he tosses out every item in his repertoire designed to impress women - poetry, the sunsets that he has seen, his love of nature, his sensitivity to the oppression of women, quotes from Shakespeare in both English and Spanish, and even tosses in the line about how he is normally shy around women but that she has made him feel comfortable in her presence so that he has overcome it.

Gomez was pulling out all the stops. Ruby was used to hearing most of it. Oh, he was good looking for sure but she knew the better looking they were the more trouble she ended up in so she decided long ago not to get involved. "Yeah, like that works" she laughs to herself. Still it was nice to have someone there. And he wasn’t bad to look at…

After some time goes by Ruby is really feeling fuzzy. The room was getting loud and she is starting to get a headache. Normally she would never consider going somewhere private with a stranger but Jake was so late (or so she thought) and she needed to get away. That or have more drinks.

Ruby was lost in thought. She was glad Gomez was talking so much, that way she wouldn’t start talking and say something stupid. She was really worried about Katherine and she didn’t know what to do with the information she found out. Hopefully Jake would know. Where was he anyway?

The bottle is eventually empty and a few people have started to arrive at the Cantina for an early supper, indicating that it is now later in the afternoon. He comments about the room becoming crowded and he suggests that they could continue the conversation somewhere more private. Ruby contemplated what to do and was just about to agree with Gomez when Jake walked in.

Jake steps into the Cantina and scans the room for Ruby. Seeing her he heads for the table. As he approaches he sees she is with Gomez and then notices the empty bottle. "A little early for that..." He says under his breath, "but who am I to complain."

"Buenos Tardes, Senor y Senorita." Jake mangles the Spanish pronunciations. "I hope I am not too late..." he pauses only a second and smiles to himself, "... for our appointment, Ruby?" Jake had walked over to their table and started to speak. The only thing she understood was “our appointment”. “I must be really drunk, I can’t even understand English anymore” she thought.

Ruby stands up uncertainly, wobbling a bit. She uses Jake’s arm to steady her. Trying to be stern she says “You are SO late Jake *hic* This is Juan. He’s been *hic* keeping me company for a while, for a whole bottle actually *hic* while I’ve been waiting for you *hic*”

"My deepest apologies, Miss West." Jake starts to bow, but realizes that if he does Ruby will fall down. Instead he uses his other hand to clamp her hand on his arm. "Senor Gomez, I am in your debt. You are a shining example of a gentleman keeping Miss West company and watching over her. Next time the three of us get together it is MY turn to buy." As if that is ever going to happen unless I shave and put on a dress thinks Jake. "Have a pleasant evening sir." As Jake guides Ruby out of the Cantina she waves over her shoulder “Bye Mr. Juan!” She turns to Jake “Oh, he doesn’t *hic* look very happy.”

They walk a little ways, with Ruby wobbling and Jake holding her up. Suddenly she stops in the middle of the street.
“Wait! I have to tell you what I found out. Chumbley told me that… that… well we were right. Something DID happen to Katherine’s husband although he is afraid to say what it was. Everyone is afraid of the Earps. He said no one would tell us, except maybe James. James EARP! James Earp in Tombstone no less. AND he said that it was Tom’s dying wish that she not find out what happened.” She shakes her head. “I don’t know what we’re gonna do.”

Ruby sighs. “And there is some other stuff I should tell you too, about how we all met, but that has to be in private. And… I’m not feeling too well right now…” Ruby says as she starts to grow pale. Jake walks very slowly and whispers in her ear, "My dear you are stinking, falling down drunk. If you can let's walk over to the Lone Star." He then sees the complexion of her face go through various different stages of color. "Okay then...." Says Jake as he gently redirects Ruby from the direction of the Lone Star towards the local church. "Perhaps if we promise to repent and do a little social work the local priest will administer to your illness."

"Repent? I don't think church is such a good idea, Jake. I'll be ok, really. What about that Paxter guy? Aren't you supposed to meet him? And your friend? Why don't we go see them and I'm sure I'll feel better after that." Ruby is still very wobbly and pale but trying her hardest to fake being sober.

"Ruby, you've never repented before?" He continues to guide her to the church. "You don't know what you are missing. I'll stay with you. After all how repentant can you really be with me hanging around? It'll be alright. You have a lot of work to do tonight and you are in no condition for any of it." He opens the door and tries to guide her through without he banging into the doorframe.

Ruby and Jake enter the Celtic, Native American & Mexican church, run by the half-elf priest Thomas Valdez. They've seen the priest a few times before over at the Cantina but haven't conversed with him before. He recognizes them as well, commenting "You're staying at the El Parador?" "Yes," Jake replies, "and I could use some assistance."

The priest helps guide Ruby over too a cot and asks Jake "What led her to this." Jake whispers back "A guy named Juan Gomez was plying her with drinks." "Ah," the priest replies, "that one has lecherous ways. I believe that I can be of assistance here. Please wait while I prepare."

The priest goes to a closed cabinet with symbols of Central American gods brightly painted on it. From that he removes a snakeskin belt which he holds the end of the belt in his hand and wraps the rest of tightly around his wrist. He then takes a jar with a green liquid and rubs in various designs upon his face. He then re-dips his index finger in the liquid and returns to the cot. He rubs his finger across Ruby's forehead, cheeks and then taps her gently on the chin leaving a green dot there. He then reaches that hand into a bucket of sand, filling it with a fist full of sand and then begins an incantation.

Jake feels the temperature of the room drop nearly twenty degrees. The priest begins to swirl the arm with the belt around, the movement unwinding the snakeskin belt which swirls in the air above Ruby. He then holds out his other hand above her head, palm up. The sand has vanished and in its place is a clear glass-like sphere that is three-inches in diameter.

The incantation changes to a series of high-pitched yelps as the sphere's color changes from light green to dark green simultaneous to the green lines on his and her face disappearing. He then lets out a loud scream and then stops.

The room temperature returns to normal. Ruby blinks her eyes and is totally clear headed. She sits up on the cot. The priest hands her the glass ball filled with a green liquid. He tells her "The poison has been purged from your system as well as any negative emotions that you may have been feeling for the past few hours. Handle this ball with care. I would suggest that you bury it somewhere that it will not be easily broken." Seeing the mild look of concern on Ruby's face Jake asks the obvious, "So, what happens... you know, if it gets broken?"

Ruby smiles and laughs, "Don't be silly that won't happen I'm sure. Valdez replies, "I would advise against that. If you bury it in the desert it will dissipate into the sand over time and be gone completely within a few days. But if it should shatter before then the liquid inside would burn whatever it touches as acid and she would be overcome by the negative emotions with such force that the backlash could even impact those who she is near.

He then acts embarrassed and says, "I am sorry that I had to use such a potent version of the spell but it is the only one I know. This region has very deadly rattlesnakes and scorpions and it is those fast-acting fatal poisons that I have been trained to remove."

I feel so much better now! Mr. Valdez you are a very wise and powerful man. Thank you!" She says chipperly. "I think tonight will be fun, don't you think, Jake? I can tell my voice will be in fine shape and I'm sure there will be a very pleasant crowd at the Lone Star. And I have a feeling you'll do very well at your card game." Ruby half skips over to the window and peers out. "And it's so nice out we should go enjoy the weather."

Ruby turns to the priest. "Now before we go is there anything we can do for you Mr. Valdez?" He again acts embarrassed and says "Er, well, normally I'd ask for a donation for the church but I don't think I'll accept one from you until after the effects of the spell wear off. For now, you'll please me just by keeping that ball safe. I'll even store it here for you if you'd prefer?" A look of concern crosses his face and he quietly mouths to Jake "Sorry. Good luck."

"Oh believe me, it will be just fine, looks sturdy to me!" Ruby says as she looks at the green ball. She then proceeds to put it in her pocket and pat it. "How could anything bad happen on such a nice day?" "Muchos gracias, Senor Valdez", Jake says with a smile. I'm sure we'll have a chance to repay your kindness. "Ruby, why don't we ease Senor Valdez's worries and put the pretty ball out in the desert where it belongs? Besides, you can have a nice walk outside that way." Joke looks at her hopefully. "We are running a little short of time, and I still have a few errands to run before we start tonight at the Lone Star." And I wonder where Katherine is he thinks to himself.

"Of course, Jake, whatever you think we should do. If we still have a lot to do let's not waste anymore time." Ruby takes Jake's hand and starts pulling him out of the the Church. "And thanks again Mr. Valdez! I'm sure it will be my pleasure to meet you again!"

When they get outside Jake notices Ruby looking up and down the street. "Hum, where would be a good place to leave this?" she asks herself out loud. She shrugs her shoulders. "I'm sure no matter where we leave it will be a good choice. What do you think?" She looks quizzically at Jake. The opium den has nothing on Senor Valdez thinks Jake as he smiles at Ruby.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-six, “Mr. and Mrs. Cookie”, January 6th, 1882:

"Let's take a short walk on the west side of town. We can enjoy the sun setting for a few minutes while you tell me what else I need to know. Then we can bury your pretty bauble and I can go see Mr. Baxter"

He leads her outside of town on the west side looking for a low traffic spot to lose the green filled ball. He tries hard not to laugh out loud over the turn of events. I hope her newfound euphoria doesn't last too long, for now I'll just enjoy the walk. If she's like this too long it could get down right embarrassing.

“You know you have a really nice smile, I never noticed before.” Ruby gets lost in thought for a moment then continues. “The west side sounds perfect. I would love to see the sun set. I bet it will be beautiful...”

As they walk Ruby gives Jake a wonderfully happy version of how they all met on the stagecoach, agreed to help O’Dell and Nanuet, got into the gun fight and killed three men (“And I didn’t even know I could shoot that well!”), and blamed it on Arcade’s Gang by giving Chumbley a fake story (“Which worked out great cause that is how we met you!”).

She also gives him all the information that Chumbley gave her about Tom Kale but she seems much less concerned about doing anything about it and much more concerned with smiling and saying “hi” to everyone she passes.

When they get outside of town she takes the green fluid filled ball out of her pocket and places in on the ground. “How’s that? It should be fine here. Now let’s go find Mr. Baxter!” Ruby turns on her heel and starts to walk away. "Oh look the sun is starting to set!"

Jake quickly digs in his heel behind some sagebrush away from any walking paths, gently puts the globe in the hole and covers it up with the loose dirt. He hurries to catch up with Ruby. "Let's stop in at the Lone Star and freshen up before we go looking for Mr. Baxter." Hard to believe this woman shot down some desperadoes’ only days ago. "Oh, what the hell..", He says resigning himself to Ruby's meandering pace he even offers some flowers off a stubby looking early blooming plant he can't name. Eventually steering her to the Lone Star.

"You go clean up first, and I'll meet you here", He says to her. After she is out of ear shot he buys a bottle of whiskey and three glasses from Maggie, only telling her "I need these to help Katherine. I'll explain another time. By the way, have you seen her? No? Hmmm." He thinks for a minute, then asks, "Do you have anything less potent like sarsaparilla for someone who shouldn't be drinking that I can get?" He gets the bottle and rushes to clean up and meet Ruby back in the main room.

Jake sees Ruby coming back, still enjoying her rejuvenated state and says under his breath, "I ought to leave her here with Maggie. But what the hell, this will be interesting." As she arrives and before she can wander around the room and visit with everyone Jake puts his arm in hers, says "Let's go sunshine." and is out the door. "Ruby, please let me do most of the talking first and listen carefully to what Mr. Baxter says and does. After I am done with my questions, I'll take off my hat so you will know it is your turn. Remember, you are our secret weapon, shhhh." I must be loco thinks Jake.

Well Jake, these flowers are just lovely and I’m going to put them in my hair tonight so everyone can enjoy their beauty.” Ruby lets Jake take her back to the Lone Star where she gets cleaned up. She takes her time, putting the flowers in her hair very carefully while humming to herself. When she is satisfied she comes downstairs to see Jake waiting patiently. He offers his arm and guides her to find Mr. Baxter. He first steers them to the newspaperman's office. He isn't in but the typesetter says to check the Gay Lady Dance Hall and Saloon. They find him there. "Hello Mr. Baxter, mind if we sit with you for a few minutes?"

“Of course he doesn’t mind, after all he is a gentleman, right Mr. Baxter?” Ruby says as she sits. “Oh and by the way, sorry about that little misunderstanding last night. It was just very crazy and I know you didn’t mean to accuse Katherine and myself of being harlots” Ruby says happily with a big smile on her face. “And I know that is all behind us now." She pauses a bit and just as Baxter, who is looking at her like she is nuts, is about to speak she says, "Oh by the way, do you like my flowers? Jake here picked them himself.”

"Err, they're beautiful, as you are," Baxter states. He then turns back towards Jake and says "So, what did happen there last night Mr.Cookie, right?" "Cook. Actually I came here to listen to you. I was more than a little surprised" lied Jake with a practiced ease, "that Mr. Earp treated you so shabbily. I would have thought your position in town would carry more respect with the law officers."

"I'm fairly new here in Promise City, and well, after seeing how difficult the law officers can be..." Jake pauses for dramatic effect. "I mean, who better to find out information about how to stay on the right side of the law officers than the man with all the information?" He holds up a bottle of whiskey "I'm pouring as long as you are talking. Tell me what you know about our friendly law officers. Afterwards you can ask me questions."

Baxter replies, “Well, Marshall Hollister was a great man who knew how to lay down the law. Terrible shame what happened to him. These Earps are nothing but trouble, big shots who like to push around the honest folk. Now you sir strike me as someone who would be far more suited to the job of Marshalling than someone like him.

Can't say I can blame the Merchants Association for hiring someone like Morgan Earp though, given how much trouble that Arcade's Gang caused around here. They was the scum of the earth that bunch. Of course it was the Promise City Vigilance Committee who really spearheaded that hiring."

"Oh, my Mr. Baxter, I'm not nearly courageous enough to be a Marshall here or anywhere. Who is the Promise City Vigilance Committee?" Baxter replies "That Committee is made up of four of the town leaders, the town doctor Jim Eaton, the town's most aggressive lawyer Hamilton Fisk, Bill Watkins who runs the Great Western Boarding House and Frank Condon who owns Condon's Bank. Condon lost a fortune when the James Gang showed up last summer and blamed Arcade's Gang. They figure with the Earps in town that gang won't come back.

Jake asks "And what about our Sheriff and his deputies?" Baxter says "Oh, they're okay but have too much land to watch and not enough manpower. The County Sheriff Johnny Behan is over in Tombstone and I don't think he's ever even crossed the Dragoon Mountains. He has somewhere between six and eight deputies, but usually only assigns one or two to the eastern half of the county. Deputy Colin Hunter is here in Promise City. Deputy Billy Breakenridge used to be in Galeyville but that town's gone downhill. Breakenridge also got hurt pretty bad in Tombstone last October and hasn't been back in these parts since. Another Deputy, John Lawhead Wiley has been around as of late helping Deputy Hunter."

Jake says "Last night you mentioned connections Earp has to Tombstone, what about that?" Once again Jake quickly fabricates a story, "I also overheard from some folks hanging around the saloon that the Earps are not fond of Easterners, even to the point of senseless violence. They even claimed that they had something to do with the death of an easterner named Kale, Thomas Kale maybe. I'm a little nervous about that being an easterner myself. Is there any truth to that?" Baxter replies "Fraid I don't know much about that. Tombstone ain't my turf. They already have two newspapers there. The two folks that Wyatt has killed here so far weren't easterners, they was local guys."

"We'll that's a relief," says Jake taking off his hat and wiping his brow. "I figured that the tales those folks were spinning were a load of cattle dung. But it pays to make sure when you own life could be on the line, now doesn't it." Jake punctuates that by dropping his hat on the table and pouring the newspaperman another refill. Baxter finishes the drink and Jake pours again. Baxter's words begin to become slurred and he starts to tell them about the family of his typesetter and how he finds the man's wife to be cute. He then adds "But not nearly as cute as your wife here Mr. Cookie," as he points to Ruby.

Ruby starts to protest the thought of being tied down but then realizes, even in her happy and optimistic state, that getting hit on by Baxter would not be a pleasant experience. "Well I certainly appreciate the compliment Mr. Baxter. And I'm sure my husband here, Mr. Cookie, appreciates it too." Ruby gives Jake the "please go with it look". Jake nods and smiles smugly. He is looking at Ruby expectantly.

Ruby pushes Baxter's drink closer it him. "So, if you wanted to get some information in Tombstone, the kind of information people didn't want to share, where would you look? I'm sure a well-informed, smart man like you has some kind of connections..." Ruby smiles at him sweetly.

As she waits for him to get himself together and answer her she leans over to Jake and whispers "What else did you want to know? I think Mr. Baxter has been as helpful as he is going to be. Besides, I bet it's just delightful outside and we're missing it!" Jake shrugs his shoulders, and then nods agreement. He whispers back, "Excuse us when you are done with him."

Baxter replies to Ruby’s question, "Only one I really know there is a Texas gal named Kate Fisher. She goes by the name Big Nose Kate. She's runs a fancy hotel and saloon in town. Went there to get the story on the shootout in October where Doc Holliday was shot, but since he was her boyfriend she was still mighty upset and didn't really want to talk about it."

“Well, Mr. Baxter, you have been very helpful to us and we appreciate it. Now you’ll have to excuse us we have a very busy night ahead of us. Right, Jake?” "Mr. Baxter, it seems I need to accompany Ruby right now. I'm sure we'll talk again soon." Jake stands, reaches across and tops off Parker Baxter's glass. "You are a giant among newspaper men, sir. Thank you for all your help." Jake caps the bottle, puts his arm through Ruby's and sweeps her out the door.

"Yes he certainly is a giant among newspaper men, at least when Chumbley is around. You can tell Katherine that the hangover he is going to have tomorrow is some small revenge for his thoughtless behavior last night." Jake is steering Ruby towards the Lone Star, and as he is speaking about Katherine his light hearted manner changes to a more sober expression on his face. "I'm suddenly feeling uncomfortable about Katherine being out with that Flint guy. I still don't understand why she and Al went out alone with him. How well do you really know that Al woman anyway?"

"Well," Ruby says thoughtfully, "I don't really know Al all that well but I'm sure she's a nice lady. And I don't know why Katherine went out with that Flint guy either. He seemed grumpy. Hey, but everyone has a bad day I guess."

And Jake continues, "OK, so let's say I put aside my surprise that you gunned down those men. I still don't understand how you and Katherine got involved with those two gun slingers, Al and who was it... Black Zak? I don't see how their argument with the miners interested you two?"

Ruby furrows her brow. "And the reason we got involved in that gunfight escapes me right now. But I'm quite sure it was a good reason. Al and O'Dell it was. Nice guy. Funny. Don't we have to go see your friend tonight? I'd like to meet him."

Meanwhile, Al, Katherine and Nanuet ride into towards Promise City. They enter from the east side of town and are riding down Main Street and about to turn left onto Fremont Street when they see Jake and Ruby a block away coming out of The Gay Lady Variety Hall and Saloon crossing Allen street and the Lone Star Saloon on the corner. The three ride towards them with Katherine calling out their names.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-seven, “The Precarious Plans of Gomez and Jones,” January 6th, 1882:

Jake hears Katherine’s voice and stops. Ruby hears Katherine voice and she turns to her. She grabs Jake and practically skips over to her. "Hello Kate! Did you have a good time today out in the country?" She replies,
"Interesting would be more the word," she said wryly. "I'll give you the details after work. For now I'd like to introduce you to Nanuet. We, ah, met him today during our inquiries.

We met those men from the Marshall's office again too. It seems the men who stole their cattle may have been the ones who killed Flint's partner. We know where they are, but we're going to wait until sunrise to go after them. I think the two of you may have some skills that would help." She paused. "But that's enough of that, I'll fill you in on the walk home tonight."

Katherine looked at the two them for a moment. Ruby was bubbling, holding onto Jake like a schoolgirl with a crush. "I trust you had a good day?" she said, lifting an eyebrow and looking at Jake. Jake shrugs his shoulders, cocks his head and says with a grin, "We had to visit Senor Valdez today. Nice man. She's been perky ever since." Jake motions over his shoulder towards the cantina, "Perhaps you all want to get cleaned up after riding all day."

He sees a bird fly over head, taps Ruby’s arm and points to it. He takes the opportunity of enjoyment of the bird to disengage from her arm and get close enough to Katherine to whisper, "I haven't dared let her far from me in this condition. Get her to help you and keep her in sight. I have an errand to run and I'll meet you all back at the cantina. I'll fill you in later. And for gods sakes keep her away from Juan Gomez for a while." In response to Katherine’s funny look Jake just shakes his head and says, "Just trust me on this one."

Jake heads off on his errand as Al, Katherine, Nanuet and Ruby head back to the El Parador. "Lets get the horses squared away in the stable" Katherine says. The three mounted riders head that way with Ruby, but when Katherine turns around Ruby is gone. She tells the other two "Take care of my horse," and hurries around and into the Cantina.

It is currently dinnertime and the Cantina is filled with people. Dorita and her daughter Sanoma are busy bringing food to people at the various tables while Pedro is serving drinks at the bar. Katherine looks around the room for Ruby, finding her sitting on the lap of the young and handsome Juan Gomez, his arm wrapped around her waist.

"Oh, damn," Katherine muttered under her breath. She wove her way through the crowd and up to the table where Ruby had found a seat. "Pardon me, Senor," she said, carefully keeping the edge out of her voice. "Ruby dear, I'm afraid I need your help upstairs right away. I had a little accident today and I need you to help me bandage it." She took hold up Ruby's hand to pull her up. "Senor," she nodded.

Juan smiles at Ruby and says "I have some experience with medicine, perhaps I can be of assistance." A grin then crosses his face as he adds "And it is getting crowded here. Maybe the three of us could go somewhere more private? I would love to get to know both of you ladies better."

Kate had to wonder, was she doing something wrong that kept making people think she was a strumpet? Did they not understand what mourning was? "Yes, I'm sure you have plenty of experience," she said, letting the edge creep in. "Let me assure you, you won't be gaining anymore with me. I don't want to be anywhere private with you, and if you suggest it to me again, I'll give you something to remind you." She laid her hand on the sheath of her dagger for emphasis.

"I'm sorry to upset your friend Ruby, but I do need you please." "Of course Katherine, I'll help you any way I can. I hope you're ok," Ruby says with a look of concern on her face. "I'm sure Mr. Gomez understands. He was very nice to me today, keeping me company while I was waiting for Jake, who was late if I recall. He even knows Shakespeare, not that I know what that all means, but it sure sounds pretty."

"Juan, you have been a gentleman and I certainly appreciate it. And I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to get to know us since we are staying in this very Cantina and we always see you around." It's obvious that Ruby didn't get Mr. Gomez's less than honorable intentions. "And besides you can always come and see us at the Lone Star!" With that Ruby gets up and takes Kate's hand. "Let's go get you all cleaned up, Kate.”

Jake, free of the pleasant burden of keeping Ruby out of trouble and relieved that Katherine is watching her closely, heads over to the livery stable in search of Danby 'Scarface' Jones. Finding him mostly pretending to work, Jake is careful not to sneak up on him. Instead he walks in making a little more noise that he is accustomed to. Give nothing away he thinks.

When Jones looks up Jake's face is unreadable and he says, "I wasn't expecting to find you here in Promise City. What brought you here?" While he listens to his response, Jake surreptitiously looks him over for weapons and information that may be useful. Jones replies "What else, the promise of riches. Paid off too Silver Dollar. Look, this isn't the place to talk. I'll be done work soon. Meet me at the saloon at the corner of Sierra and Allen Streets." Jake doesn't see any weapons on the man, only dirty clothing.

Jake goes to the saloon that Jones specifies, a twenty-by-thirty-foot single-story brick building and concludes that Jones has an interesting sense of humor, as the sign above the door reads "Silver Dollar Saloon".

On the way he removes much of what little money he has left from his wallet and relocates in his boot and belt pouch. I don't trust that man for second he thinks to himself. Finding a table where he can put his back to a wall, Jake makes himself at home. When Jones finally arrives Jake welcomes him with, "So what did you want to talk about, surely not old times?" Jones replies "No, we have a great opportunity here that I thought I'd let you in on. Should move up my timetable too."

He then points out the window to a well-built two-story clapboard structure on the opposite corner. "That's the Condon House. They've had me do work there before, gave me the keys. I did wax impressions of 'em and got the Tombstone locksmith to make me a set. Works just fine." "Go on." Jake says quietly, his eyes narrowing. "Up 'til now you working alone?" Jones replies "Yes, but you're better at the slight of hand than I am. All we need are the two of us.

You see, both Frank and Morgan Condon alternate managing the bank. Frank usually takes Mondays and Thursdays and Morgan takes Tuesdays and Fridays. They both have identical sets of keys for the bank's main door and vault, plus their house and a few more places on the same keyrings. At least once a week whichever brother isn't in charge stops by the bank for a brief visit. I figure all we have to do is swap the keyring of whoever isn't locking up. As long as the replacement set has a housekey that works that brother won't realize that the switch has been made.

So once we swap the keys we just wait until it is dark, use the keys to let ourselves in, and clean the place out. The vault uses both a key and combination lock, but I've watched often enough that I'm pretty sure I now know what the first number is and have a good idea about the second. With both of us watching we should be able to confirm the second number and get the third and final one. Then we'll be rich!"

"Clever, that, the timing and the switch." Says Jake looking sharply at Jones. "And afterwards you get out of town quickly and quietly. Do it on a Friday night and you have all weekend as a head start." Jake pauses for a few moments.

"Of course they'll know who did it. They just won't know how at first. But it won't take too long to figure out. And of course the locksmith in Tombstone may or may not squeal. So you will have to go far away to enjoy the money, after all they know your real name and you are easy to recognize in a crowd.

Did you ever notice anything in common with bank robberies? They are usually done by large gangs, killers with bad reps. You know why that is? Not only is every law man and bounty hunter in hundreds of miles after you, but every renegade and two bit outlaw would come after you too unless they were too afraid of getting killed. In their view the money is a lot easier to get by killing you than having to take it out of the bank the hard way.

And like I said, in a matter of days they will all knows who you are and what you look like. I wouldn't give you three months." Jake shakes his head. "Now maybe you have a plan on how to get somewhere fast and far, and maybe it will work. But you'll always be looking over your shoulder, always wonder if the person you're talkin' to or who is lookin' at you recognizes old 'scarface' Jones. This is in a different league than stealing silverware."

Scarface Jones sits there and listens intently to everything Jake says. When Jake finally finishes the other man pauses for three, maybe five seconds, and then asks "So, are you in on this with me?"

Jake stares blankly at Jones for few moments. "Jones you're a damn fool. You're either gonna be a rich damn fool or a dead damn fool. I've been a bettin' man for many years, and my guess is if you do this you're a dead damn fool. I'm a poker player, not a bank robber. Not my style."

Jake pauses a moment, and leans forward. "I never heard nothin'. I do my job ten to three, four days a week. Don't do anything stupid when I am around. Don't do anything to implicate me. I'm a peaceable man" He says in a slow monotone voice with an edge, "but cross me. Understand?"

Jake gets up, takes a few steps and pauses. He says to Jones without looking down. "Good luck to you sir, I hope I don't see ya swingin' at the end of a rope." And leaves the Silver Dollar Saloon. Scarface Jones just stares at Jake with a bewildered look on his face.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty-eight, “ Katherine’s Transformation”, January 6th, 1882:

Al and Nanuet are finishing up with the horses. They head inside and Nanuet begins to go towards the stairs to head up to his room when it occurs to him that he no longer has one and the owners will not know who he is. When she was here with the others at noon Al had not bothered checking then about a room.

The two of them head up to bar and ask Pedro about getting a pair of rooms. He says, "Sorry, all booked up." Suspecting that this refusal has something to do with the unknown bare-chested Indian standing beside her suggests to Nanuet that he go find them a couple of chairs. She then says to Pedro "No, I don't want trouble about racial stuff, we just want two rooms!" He replies, "Lady, I'd give them to you if I had them. It's Friday night! Several dwarven prospectors come into town every weekend to blow off steam and relax and since I'm the only place in town that will rent to dwarves they stay here. I'm all booked up."

Nanuet manages to find two empty seats after a minute or so of looking around. He watches Al and reads the expression on her face. He thinks to himself... "Where will we sleep tonight? We need to rest well to be ready for tomorrow." As he watches Sonoma and remembers the kindness that she showed him he remembers yet again that she will no longer recognize him or remember him. He calls Sonoma over and asks for a couple of bowls of stew and some bread and also says "It's a shame there are no more rooms available as I like the looks and hospitality of your place here. Know where else a man of my sorts can find a room around Promise City?"

Sanoma says, "I would suggest that you try the Celtic church, the only other place might be the barn out back. I may be able to convince my father to allow you to sleep in the loft for some small coins. The town does not have a friendly face for the native people, there has been too much trouble between the whites and others."

Meanwhile, as they headed upstairs Ruby asked Kate “By the way, what happened? And did you notice the wonderful sunset tonight? It was just spectacular! And I think we should have some dancing tonight at the Lone Star, that would be so fun! What do you think?"

Dorita's grandfather, Manuel Gonzalas, spots them and calls out to Katherine. She stops for a minute and he says to her "Those books that you loaned me are wonderful! I've already finished two and am now on the third. I am so grateful, when you have a chance please stop by my room and I'll give you something in return." She gets the impression that, unlike Mr. Gomez, this kindly old man is sincere in that request and that it has nothing to do with 'companionship'. Kate smiles at the old gentleman. "Of course. We just need to run upstairs and get cleaned up for work this evening. We'll stop by on the way out."

She takes Ruby upstairs to her room and feigns a twisted ankle. They go through looking it over and Kate lets Ruby put a bandage around it and slides her shoe back on. She takes her time with putting on a new dress, letting her hair out of its pins, combing it, and putting it back up. The longer she can keep Ruby in the room with her, the easier it will be to keep her away from that lecher downstairs.

After a few minutes she decides to tell Ruby about Nanuet now. Ruby is in such a happy mood that hopefully she can accept it. Kate explains what happened that day, especially about meeting the Indians and the spell they cast over Nanuet. "I know you won't remember him," Kate said finally, "but that's the nature of the magic. It should help some things make more sense now, since it was his mission that brought us to the boarding house."

That certainly sounds like an exciting day, Katherine!” Ruby ponders a bit while helping Kate with her hair. “So you are saying that I know this guy Nanuet already? I really don’t recognize him at all. But I guess anything is possible. Sorta makes sense the whole thing.” Ruby leans over and whispers, “Jake was asking me why we were involved with the shootout and I couldn’t remember. Oh yeah, I told him about that by the way. I’m sure we can trust him.” Ruby pauses and smiles. “Besides, it’s always nice to make new friends… or err, old friends I guess. And now that makes three new friends in one day! What a wonderful day this has been. I’m sure tonight is going to be great!”

Ruby pats Katherine’s head. “There, all finished. You know Kate, you really are very beautiful. I’m sure some color would liven you up a bit. Have you considered it yet? A pretty red dress really does make everyone happy.”

"Ruby! How can you suggest such a thing?" Katherine began to pace around the small room, twisting her wedding ring around her finger. "I have months to go before it's proper to even wear jewelry again. To wear red? Twenty years ago it would have been four years before I could even think of it. It's less time now, but not that much less."

She went over to the bedside table and picked up Tom's picture. "I had thought that propriety doesn't seem to mean that much out here, and it probably won't be practical to stay in mourning the appropriate time. But it's only been three months." She stopped and looked at the picture and felt herself calming. "Still, Tom never did really approve of the whole mourning tradition. He always wondered why society required a woman to act as if she'd died as well....

Ruby comments "I'm sorry Katherine. It was just such a beautiful day with and such a promising night ahead of us, I don't know what came over me. I hope you're not mad but I want you to be happy." She pauses, lost in thought, and then continues. "But it's true you can't stay mourning forever and it has been a while. So when you're ready I have a nice red dress you can borrow." She looks Kate up and down. "Although it might not fit you as you as you are used to."

Kate replies "I'm not mad, Ruby, I just.... I've been feeling a little bit guilty. Since we got to Promise City I've been feeling so much better, and I've been thinking how nice it would be to wear color again."

Ruby comments "Anyway, where did Jake go? I thought we were meeting his friend tonight." She was puzzled, but only for a moment. "Oh well. Guess we should get ready for tonight. It's going to be great!"

Ruby gets ready for the night. As she fixes her hair she hums to herself and chats with Kate. Suddenly she stops. "You know Kate, I think I lost some money. I had a bunch this morning and now I have none. I know I bought Jake a horse today but... well, maybe I got robbed! She looks down the front of her bodice again. It's just not there. It would be quite hard for someone to get down there without me knowing though. Well I guess that I'd better sing extra special tonight. I think we need to have some fun. Do you like to dance Kate?"

"You bought two horses this morning, Ruby. One was for Nanuet." She straightened one of Ruby's hairpins. "As for dancing, I haven't done that in a long time. But yes, I did like to dance." She kept up chatting with Ruby, putting off their return to the common room downstairs. Now and then she looked down at her somber black clothes. During her time in Tombstone they had felt right. But since she'd come to Promise City, they felt more like an anchor. "I don't think I'm quite ready for red," she said suddenly.

Kate went over to her trunk and flipped the lid open. She took the black dresses off the top and reached down to the dresses she had brought from the east. A moment later she found the one she was looking for. "Help me, Ruby?" she asked as she rapidly began pulling the pins from her hair.

“I bought Nanuet a horse?” Ruby says surprised. “Well that was nice of me!”

Ruby watched with interest as Katherine started going through her trunk. Kate started pulling out what she was looking for but Ruby couldn’t tell what it was. Ruby was curious so she walked a little closer. When she saw the beautiful deep green dress Katherine pulled out she almost gasped. It was the most expensive looking dress Ruby had ever seen. Ruby smiled and put her hand on Kate’s shoulder. She said softly, “You shouldn’t feel guilty Kate. Like you said, Tom wouldn’t want you to be sad forever. Sure, you’ll never forget him and he’ll always be a part of you but you still have to live. And I’m completely jealous over this dress so let’s get it on you, shall we?” Ruby helps Katherine put on the dress and fix her hair.

“Kate, you look so classy and perfect. You don’t belong working at the Lone Star, that’s for sure.” Ruby sighed. Kate had a wonderful future ahead of her, she was sure of it.

“Let’s go down a get a drink before we have to leave. It’s going to busy tonight since its Friday. Besides there are lots of people to say hello to down there!”

“Oh and I wonder what happened with Nanuet and Al?” Ruby doesn’t ponder too long. “Well, I’m sure they are fine…” Ruby starts her half skip out the door and down the stairs.

Remove ads