D&D 5E Review design goals

Li Shenron

Legend
Sure you can. Or at least, I can using the 4e system as a base and tweaking the classes from there.

(...)

Well if these are all in the books then ok. But if it's your own house rules, then you can say "you can" for every edition or RPG, which isn't quite fair to the discussion IMHO.

FireLance

Legend
Well if these are all in the books then ok. But if it's your own house rules, then you can say "you can" for every edition or RPG, which isn't quite fair to the discussion IMHO.
Actually, the point I was responding to is that a 1e styled fighter, a 3e wizard and a 4e rogue can't be played at the same table because the power levels are completely different. I simply intended to show that a 1e styled fighter, a 3e wizard and a 4e rogue can be brought to approximately the same power level, close enough to be reasonably well-balanced with each other over the course of a typical adventuring day, anyway. That I chose 4e as the starting point for tweaking is simply a matter of current familiarity with the system, and my own belief that the base 4e system is hands down the most balanced when it comes to the power level of different PCs.

Steely_Dan

First Post
The last playtest packet has me worried for classes, but I am loving the core of 5th Ed (bounded accuracy rocks).

But, I have already done a lot of conversions (from all editions), so one thing they have achieved, IME, is ease of conversions.

You can almost drop some things in whole cloth.

Li Shenron

Legend
I simply intended to show that a 1e styled fighter, a 3e wizard and a 4e rogue can be brought to approximately the same power level, close enough to be reasonably well-balanced with each other over the course of a typical adventuring day, anyway.

That's an interesting challenge...

I don't have all the PHB books of older editions, but I checked BECMI yesterday and some retroclones, and was wondering if really 5e currently can represent e.g. a Fighter in the "style" of an older edition, without simply "stripping out" stuff from the class mechanic, which presumably would result in a under-balanced character. Well I am not sure it can... but at least if the player (a) chooses a Fighting Style with mostly passive abilities (e.g. "Veteran") then (b) picks passive feats and finally (c) uses most of the time Deadly Strike instead of more tactical abilities, I think at least the "feeling" of an older-edition Fighter can be approached.

Then I looked at all the other classes and thought "no way..." :D

Remove ads