Review: Galaxy's Edge and Rise of the Resistance

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
That sounds like my worst nightmare.

It's much less painful than theme parks were in the 1970s and 80s. Disney is really good at atmospherics - even a 2 hour wait doesn't really feel all that long because the switchback lines are all well designed and decorated to keep you from being completely bored. Plus, there's wifi.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Good to hear the reviews. I expect we'll be going to DisneyWorld next in about 2 years when my son is about to graduate from high school. The only other time we went to the Florida Disney complex was during a break in my daughter's senior year - and frankly, it was a pretty magical experience for her even at her age. Disney does hospitality well.

I just hope the buzz of Galaxy's Edge has died down a little by then and the crowds not at their peak.

Nebulous

Legend
I have cousins who work for Disney in Orlando, so I could get in easier/cheaper/free, but I don't know if that would influence the 4 hour waits. Although for something like this, which I would likely never do again, I would wait a long time.

Undrave

Legend
If you keep looking at the word Disney, it starts to look like a really weird word.

I’ve never been on a theme park ride. What’s the basic setup? Is it sorta like one of the Haunted House fairground things (which I’ve also never been on!) where you sit in a cart and things jump out at you, but with a bigger budget?

you can find plenty of on-ride videos on Youtube. Look up Tokyo DisneySea for some really neat rides.

So, there's a basic taxonomy of the theme park rides.

1. Roller coaster. Pretty self explanatory. There can be all sorts of additional bells and whistles, but at the core this is a thrill ride.

2. Flat ride. These are circular kiddie rides; think of Dumbo & Aladdin's Carpets (at Disney) or Astro Orbiter (Disney). The tilt-a-whirl at carnivals is also similar, or any kind of spinning tea cup -type ride.

3. Motion simulator ride. These are rides that feel like they are moving (either via 3D effects, video technology, or other means) while you stay in one place. Smuggler's Run is an example of one of these.

4. Dark Rides. These are the most common rides at Disney. Basically, you are in some type of vehicle, and you are moving through various scenes. Sometimes there is a twist (like a long fall, as in Splash Mountain), sometimes it is scary (Haunted House) sometimes it is for kids (Small World).

Rise of the Resistance is broken into several parts and has aspects of 3 & 4, along with the live action.

You should also count Walk-Through attractions. There's not that many in Disney (a lot in Paris) but they're there, like the various houses, tree-houses or Pirate Island. I'm guessing Rise of the Resistance is part Walk Through. Heck, it's part Live Performance even.

Sounds like one heck of an experience.

There was never any danger of that happening! If I were to travel all the way to the US again, I have a long list of things to see and do!

The UK has Alton Towers.

Remove ads