Review of Adventure-a-Week.com & Crypt of the Sun Lord (free module!)

I'm exclusively a 4ther and even I'm tempted to subscribe. This site is gorgeous, and the production value alone is wonderful. Had this been 4e, I'd have subscribed in a heartbeat. I'm really routing for these guys!

I'm exclusively a 4ther and even I'm tempted to subscribe. This site is gorgeous, and the production value alone is wonderful. Had this been 4e, I'd have subscribed in a heartbeat. I'm really routing for these guys!

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
I'm one of the beta/playtesters and I can honestly say that was sucked me in was the world that Jonathan and Todd have build. It's different enough to be really cool without being so far out there that you don't know what you're doing. Something we as a group have tried to do is give the setting plenty of flavor.

Jonathan and Todd have been awesome to work with and have been great about accepting our submissions on pretty much anything, whether it's feedback on the adventures, creating Domains or Bloodlines, and even monsters and NPCs, so that part has been an absolute blast.

Hopefully everyone likes what they see and subscribes to the site.

Squire James

First Post
I've generally found it pretty easy to convert stuff from 3.5 to 4e... I did just that with several of the early Pathfinder adventure paths. The main trick is that you don't really convert the monsters... you convert the plot! The monsters are what is necessary to bring the plot about. Does the villain have a key for a hand? Perhaps he uses it to open other stuff than just that trapdoor... like someone's ribcage?

I guess it helps that I could use the offline Monster Builder to create a decent monster of any level from scratch in about 30 minutes, and I'm usually borrowing stats from some other critter to cut the time down to 10 minutes or so.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I'd look at the setting but it is only visible to subscribers so unfortunately I can't make up my mind about that ;)

But I also have a bunch of settings to play in I never managed to use at. Eventually I might get to this one though, the one map I saw in the example looks promising enough.

cvick@Aaw

First Post
Hey, I am Cory and I am also a tester for AaW. I just wanted to say that there are many great perks to the subscription. Some of the perks I find the most useful are the various monsters that are included with the site, the spells and domains and that epic soundboard. Honestly, for the price the GM and player have access to so much great material. As, a busy person I find that Aaw gives me everything I need and more! I never have to spend time looking for an adventure for my players with this site. I can keep my PC's interest with unique monsters and spells throughout the session making me one very happy GM.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
It would be helpful to have a setting map/setting description up for preview though so people would know what they get. And maybe offer the option to upload whole settings - now that would be cool.

One of the better sites anyway. :cool:

KTFish7

First Post
For the matter of record, the freebie, Crypt of the Sun Lord has been drastically overhauled in its PDF format. The site originally was geared towards an online presence mainly, with the assumption that all adventures would be worked from the website. So, yes, there were some minor issues with the first PDF that have been addressed. I would recommend re-downloading it and taking a look to see what changes have been made, as well as returning to the site, as several areas have been opened for people to get a better look at what the site has to offer before they decide to subscribe.

Remove ads

Remove ads