Review of Premium Spell Compendium v3.5 by Wizards of the Coast

I recall always being frustrated by one aspect of Dungeons & Dragons, regardless of whether I was running 1st Edition, AD&D, or 3.5: There are just too many gosh darned spells! No matter which edition you name, there has always been a serious case of “spell creep”, with more and more new arcane, divine, and druidical magic finding their way into Dragon Magazine articles, modules, supplemental...

I recall always being frustrated by one aspect of Dungeons & Dragons, regardless of whether I was running 1st Edition, AD&D, or 3.5: There are just too many gosh darned spells! No matter which edition you name, there has always been a serious case of “spell creep”, with more and more new arcane, divine, and druidical magic finding their way into Dragon Magazine articles, modules, supplemental class books, and even a few Third Party Products.

For the first two editions I played – AD&D and 2nd Edition – sorting through new spells outside the Player’s Handbooks was such a pain: everyone coming to a game session, lugging along extra books, magazines, and photocopied pages, so that my magic-using players looked more like mad accountants at the table rather than all powerful sorcerers. Even for my own part, there always seemed to be a few new “cool” spells that were perfect for a villain that I just had to use during a play session - so I’d be just as surrounded by piles of apocryphal pages stacked behind the screen - and on the floor, spare chairs, and any other level surface within arm’s reach!

Thankfully, the developers of D&D 3.5 realized that “spell creep” was a serious and pervasive issue from edition to edition. In late 2005, Wizards of the Coast released the first Spell Compendium, gathering into one tome more than a thousand spells from more than a dozen sourcebooks and supplements and around two score articles from Dragon Magazine. I remember that book first appearing at my gaming table in the hands of two players shortly after New Year’s, and it truly made a difference by speeding up combats and resolving rules “discussions” with one irrefutable spell source.

And now, in keeping with WotC’s project to make older edition products available to current D&D players, a Premium Edition of the D&D 3.5 Spell Compendium was released only a few weeks ago, offering a new version of this book to aid 3.5 gamers with more spells than they will (probably?) ever use!

Premium Spell Compendium v3.5

• Designer: Matthew Sernett, Jeff Grub, Mike McArtor
  • Illustrations: Mat “czarofhappiness” Smith (Cover); Steven Belledin, Mitch Cotie, Chris Dien, Wayne England, Jason Engle, Carl Frank, Brian Hagan, Fred Hooper, Ralph Horsley, Jeremy Jarvis, David Martin, Jim Nelson, William O’Connor, Lucio Parrillo, Michael Phillippi, Eric Polak, Wayne Reynolds, Ron Spears, Joel Thomas, Franz Vohwinkel (Interior)
  • Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
  • Year: 2013
  • Media: Hardbound (288 pages)
  • Price: $49.99 ($35.01 from Amazon.com)

The Premium Spell Compendium v3.5 is a new reprinting of the spell sourcebook released in 2005 for D&D 3.5. The book contains more than 1000 spells used in 3.5, collected from the Player’s Handbook and many more articles and supplements published during the 3rd Edition era of Dungeons & Dragons.

Production Quality

The production quality of the Premium Spell Compendium 3.5 is quite exceptional. The Premium version of this book has a new cover design, still evocative of the “tome” style covers prevalent throughout the D&D 3.5 product line. To this reviewer, the new cover design is considerably nicer looking than the first release, and feels more sturdy and robust. The cover is further enhanced by the decorative patterns and stylized rampant dragons (sort of a tribal style) which are actually impressed into the front and back cover, giving a pleasing tactile feel to the glossy surface.

The papers are the same high quality glossy type found in the previous supplement, and all the fantastic original artwork was used once again in this reprinting.

The spells are laid out in alphabetical order, for easy reference, and there are spell lists by class as well as domain information and spell sets found toward the end of the supplement. There is also a short bibliography at the end of the Spell Compendium detailing the various sources for the spells listed.

It’s not New… But it is Improved

As mentioned previously, the Premium Spell Compendium 3.5 still features over 1000 spells and still contains the original and very stunning artwork depicting a wide range of spells ruining the nefarious plans of various D&D monsters. In fact, this new printing of the Spell Compendium is EXACTLY like the old version, page for page, illustration for illustration.

(Yes, I checked. I do these tedious things so that you don’t have to do it.)

I have to mention one of the things I failed to realize when I bought my copy of the first release: there is a ton of art in this book! As I was going through the Premium Spell Compendium 3.5, I became suddenly aware of the fact that the illustration to page count for this book stands fairly close to 1:2. That’s a massive amount of great art for a single tome, and even though some of the images are small, it really makes leafing through a book of D&D spells a lot more enjoyable.

However, I must also point out that it is not an entirely faithful reprinting of the original text. When the Premium Spell Compendium 3.5 was released, WotC editors made sure to add in all the errata that came out after the release of the first version back in 2005. So now the information is completely accurate and up-to-date (well, as up to date as a previous edition supplement can be), and keeping a pesky errata sheet is not required.

Overall Score: 4.25 out of 5.0

Final Conclusions

It’s next to impossible to find much fault with the Premium Spell Compendium 3.5, being a “faithful” reproduction of the original with all the errata added in, and bearing an awesome looking cover. If you play D&D 3.5 or d20 variant thereof, I can honestly say this is one of those “must-have” products to keep at the gaming table just to help the session run smoother by having at the ready, a complete and easily referenced compendium of all types of spells.

So the real question comes down to cost: is it worth it to buy this Premium Edition when there are so many copies of the first printing out there for sale? I checked the prices at both Amazon.com and Ebay, finding the original version of the Spell Compendium (used) for $29.00 and $25.00 respectively. Of course, there is shipping involved in both cases. So if you don’t own the original sourcebook, the new Premium Spell Compendium 3.5 is a comparable buy (at least it is from Amazon.com after the discount). But even if you already own a Spell Compendium, the new Premium version is still worth a look – it’s a gorgeous book and very handy to have around when spells start flying around.

So until next Review… I wish you Happy Gaming!

Author’s Note
: This Reviewer received a complimentary copy of the product from which the review was written.

Grade Card (Ratings 1 to 5)

• Presentation: 4.75
  • - Design: 4.5
  • - Illustrations: 5
  • Content: 4.5
  • - Crunch: 5
  • - Fluff: 4
  • Value: 3.5

Special Announcement:

BlackStar Studios
is in the final hours of their Kickstarter for The Shadowlands – a new Pathfinder RPG Campaign Setting! They are already fully funded, but are still trying to reach even more Stretch Goals, so check it out and donate. By the way, this setting sounds amazing, and I will be doing a review of The Shadowlands as soon possible! You can find out more about the setting on the Official Site.

Loonook

First Post
"For the first two editions I played – AD&D and 2nd Edition – sorting through new spells outside the Player’s Handbooks was such a pain: everyone coming to a game session, lugging along extra books, magazines, and photocopied pages, so that my magic-using players looked more like mad accountants at the table rather than all powerful sorcerers. Even for my own part, there always seemed to be a few new “cool” spells that were perfect for a villain that I just had to use during a play session - so I’d be just as surrounded by piles of apocryphal pages stacked behind the screen - and on the floor, spare chairs, and any other level surface within arm’s reach!"

Were you just not aware of the AD&D Spell Compendium series?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
"For the first two editions I played – AD&D and 2nd Edition – sorting through new spells outside the Player’s Handbooks was such a pain: everyone coming to a game session, lugging along extra books, magazines, and photocopied pages, so that my magic-using players looked more like mad accountants at the table rather than all powerful sorcerers. Even for my own part, there always seemed to be a few new “cool” spells that were perfect for a villain that I just had to use during a play session - so I’d be just as surrounded by piles of apocryphal pages stacked behind the screen - and on the floor, spare chairs, and any other level surface within arm’s reach!"

Were you just not aware of the AD&D Spell Compendium series?

I was going to ask the exact same thing.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Or the 2nd Ed Complete Spell and Magic Item Compendium series.
4 books of arcane spells from all 2nd ed sources, 3 books of same for Divine spells.
And another 4 books of Magic Items..

Although the image of being an accountant sorting threw ledgers of spells doesn't wan when using these sources.. :)

JeffB

Legend
I was not around for initial release, does this include the PHB/SRD spells too? Or is this just additional spells?

wizardoest

First Post
Already owning the Spell Compendium, this reprint offers little value. Errata is easy enough to incorporate.

I would have purchased this in a heartbeat if this edition also updated the class spells lists for other spellcasting classes, such as the Archivist, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Duskblade, Favored Soul, Hexblade, Shugenja, Spellthief, Spirit Shaman, Warmage, and WuJen.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hi,

The reprint looked nice in the store. I was pretty overwhelmed by the $50 store price, though. If there were a new book with a lot of great new content, I could accept the price. But for a reprint, even with the added errata, the price seems rather high. Since this is largely a reprint, won't many of the fixed costs already be recouped?

Thx!

TomB

delericho

Legend
Just additional - all those in the books other than the PHB.

From some of the books other than the PHB. This isn't (and has never claimed to be) a complete listing of 3e spells.

The reprint looked nice in the store. I was pretty overwhelmed by the $50 store price, though. If there were a new book with a lot of great new content, I could accept the price. But for a reprint, even with the added errata, the price seems rather high. Since this is largely a reprint, won't many of the fixed costs already be recouped?

Some, certainly. However, as I understand it WotC don't expect to sell too many of the various reprints, so they're small print runs. And that makes them much more expensive per copy than the original versions.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads