• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Review of the Dragonlance DVD at Newsarama!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Starman said:
Perhaps if New Line's version of Lord of the Rings does well there could be a better quality <insert your favorite fantasy novel> movie/tv show done. Since if New Line pulls off a mature, well-rounded and high-production movie based off a popular fantasy book. Then perhaps others will get on the bandwagon and make similar things.

*sigh* If only.
They can try, but I doubt they can match the same box office result as LOTR.

Besides, what other fantasy films since LOTR -- with the exception of the Harry Potter film franchise -- are given large budget funding as well as an exceptional production crew and cast?

Starman

Adventurer
I wasn't actually stating that I believed LotR was leading to other big budget fantasy flicks being made. I was refuting Fallen Seraph's notion that a successful TV series based on A Song of Ice and Fire would lead to more fantasy TV shows and movies. Many people were sure that LotR would be a gateway for more, but it obviously hasn't happened.

Imperialus

Explorer
I picked it up tonight. Saw it for 16 bucks so I figured it would be worth it if for no other reason than to see someones interpretation of one of my favorite books from back when I was 12/13 years old.

Baumi

Adventurer
I just saw it and I was surprised that I liked it. After the awful Trailer I thought I will hate it but the curiosity and my love for Dragonlance won over and so I watched it...

And while the CGI still sucks (at least it is better than in the Trailer), I really liked all the other things, like the non-CGI Animation, the Voices, Story, Soundtrack, etc. so all in all I really enjoyed it and can recomend it (als long as you are not too critical about the CGI). :D

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Festivus said:
I bought it and will likely watch it tonight. It has a sticker on the front "Like Beowulf... Dragonlance will leave you completely in awe." I didn't see Beowulf, so I have nothing to compare.

I have played RPGs with George Strayton before, and I wanted to support him so I bought it without question... so my review of it might be a bit biased.

I also played a game with George Strayton. He was the writer of the script i think. I think that better artists could have been used and a stronger art style utilized. Actually i'm pretty bumbed about the art.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Starman said:
I wasn't actually stating that I believed LotR was leading to other big budget fantasy flicks being made. I was refuting Fallen Seraph's notion that a successful TV series based on A Song of Ice and Fire would lead to more fantasy TV shows and movies. Many people were sure that LotR would be a gateway for more, but it obviously hasn't happened.

The Lord of the Rings movies have absolutely led to the release of more fantasy-themed movies, in my opinion. Harry Potter is also a huge factor, but you've got to believe that people pitching movies in Hollywood are pointing to the success of both when trying to sell their fantasy material.

"The Golden Compass" strikes me as a movie that is riding the wave of the Lords of the Rings movies, as is the probably loathsome Uwe Bole Dungeon Siege movie. The Narnia movies are part of the same trend, as is the Spiderwick movie, the Bridge to Tarabithia movie, etc.

Every once in a while one of the movies in this trend is going to turn out to be more heroic fantasy than kids fantasy, but to most people in Hollywood the two are probably one and the same.

The Song of Ice and Fire show is probably directly attributable to the popularity of the Lord of the Rings movie. If _that_ is successful, a whole lot more of this stuff is on the way.

Arcturion

First Post
Personally, I thought they should have went with the same animation studio that did all the Batman Beyond, Justice League, and Hellboy animated shows; or the one that does Avatar: The Last Airbender; they wouldn't be strangers to fantasy or superhero type elements and they've done feature-length type stuff before with those properties.

The simple cell-shaded characters would look decent enough but the animation and action would have been much smoother and exciting. Really bad CGI mashed into traditional 2D animation is just too jarring and reminds me of most of the crappy Saturday morning cartoons that passes for TV these days. Either one or the other, please!

Kiefer Sutherland always sounds like he's half asleep when he does cartoon voice overs, but that may just be his trademark monotone. Worth a rent only if you're a diehard Dragonlance fan (I first started playing D&D using the DL setting way back when) but even then the nostalgia factor can only get this movie so far. Otherwise, don't even bother with this one much less buying it.

Klaus

First Post
Erik Mona said:
The Lord of the Rings movies have absolutely led to the release of more fantasy-themed movies, in my opinion. Harry Potter is also a huge factor, but you've got to believe that people pitching movies in Hollywood are pointing to the success of both when trying to sell their fantasy material.

"The Golden Compass" strikes me as a movie that is riding the wave of the Lords of the Rings movies, as is the probably loathsome Uwe Bole Dungeon Siege movie. The Narnia movies are part of the same trend, as is the Spiderwick movie, the Bridge to Tarabithia movie, etc.

Every once in a while one of the movies in this trend is going to turn out to be more heroic fantasy than kids fantasy, but to most people in Hollywood the two are probably one and the same.

The Song of Ice and Fire show is probably directly attributable to the popularity of the Lord of the Rings movie. If _that_ is successful, a whole lot more of this stuff is on the way.
I think Harry Potter is a larger influence than LotR here. Between Chronicles of Narnia, Eragon, Golden Compass, The Seeker: Dark Is Rising and other fantasy movies aimed at a younger audience, you see more of an attempt to have a new Harry Potter than a new Lord of the Rings.

jester47

First Post
A massive battle between cell and computer animation brought to life on DVD!

You know, this begs to be redubbed and put on YouTube.

balmung

First Post
I just finished watching it and I have to say I was disappointed. I realize that the book was released in 1984 but did they really have to use animation from that time period as well? I was waiting for Raistlin to chant Shazam! for his spells and a cheesy song from Leonard Nimoy (perhaps Fizban, Fizban the Fabulous).

Perhaps my expectations were a bit to high. Dragons of Autumn Twilight was one of the first D&D novels I had read back when I was 11 or 12. For over 20 years I have waited for these books to be made into a movie. Perhaps this anticipation and the intervening years has colored my judgement though. When I first read the books I was on the cusp of entering my teenage years. I was just starting to play D&D and everything was new and exciting. I suppose from that perspective I was able to relate to the story more. If I follow this line of reasoning I will come to the conclusion that I also liked Dr. Suess when I was young but didn't care for the movies based on the material that have been released in the last few years. I have aged since I first read the novels but the novels have not. Memory is often more kind than reality.

The movie may best be suited for children of the same age as I was when I discovered Dragonlance. I would have like to have seen a better animation style used but when I compare Dragonlance to Naruto or some of the other cartoons my ex-girlfriend's son would watch I think he will still like it. Therefore I can't call this effort a total waste.

If it awakens the imagination of young people and teaches them some of life's wisdoms (such as not judging people because of their culture or appearance and believing in yourself) then I think it is a worthwhile effort. But, for those of us who are more likely to have Just for Men and things high in fiber on our shopping list as opposed to Bubble Tape and Pokemon cards, I think they will be disappointed in it unless they lower their expectations and watch it with their kids.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads