Review of The Secret Fire by George Strayton

This quote is amusing: A skilled MC and a table of dedicated players can spend entire sessions of TSF without rolling a single die, yet explore dark, dangerous, and exotic lands, as well as underground caverns and dungeon complexes that offer both excitement and tension. Yes, that game is called Make-Believe I think. If I'm going over a friend's house to play Make-Believe, kind takes the...

This quote is amusing:

A skilled MC and a table of dedicated players can spend entire sessions of TSF without rolling a single die, yet explore dark, dangerous, and exotic lands, as well as underground caverns and dungeon complexes that offer both excitement and tension.

Yes, that game is called Make-Believe I think. If I'm going over a friend's house to play Make-Believe, kind takes the wind out of spending $9.99 since I already know the rules. ;)

Toll Carom

First Post
Point of Order

The reviewer says that Gary was the creator and master of the RPG. As a point of order, that's inaccurate. If any one person could be said to be the creator or father of the roleplaying game, that'd be Dave Arneson (by Gary's own admission).

As you were.

Squire James

First Post
The reviewer says that Gary was the creator and master of the RPG. As a point of order, that's inaccurate. If any one person could be said to be the creator or father of the roleplaying game, that'd be Dave Arneson (by Gary's own admission).

As you were.

I tend to think of Gary and Dave as "Grandfathers of the Game", since most people actually have two grandfathers. They certainly brought out different aspects of their character into the game, and among other things it's that "chocolate and peanut butter" effect that made the game great.

Perhaps "The Secret Fire" is the kind of game Gary favored later in life... I'd be pretty interested in knowing what kind of game Dave would have designed under similar circumstances!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads