Review Writing Question

cybertalus

First Post
I've written my first review, but it's come out rather long. Three and a half pages at 10 point Arial to be exact. I know I'm a wordy guy, and I've been over the review once trying to cut out unneeded words, but I'm still concerned that it's too long.

Aside from my wordiness problem, the length stems from the fact that I'm giving an overview of the entire book and then discussing in more detail selected areas that I think would be of the most interest to people who might be considering buying the book.

Does this sound like it's too long for a review?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sounds fine to me!

Different people look for different things in reviews. I'd guess that any person's particular reviewing style will appeal to a different subset of people - that's why some people end up following particular reviewers. If you develop a style which is long and very detailed, you'll probably find that some people may consider it too long, but others will like it and make sure they read all your reviews.

That's the beauty of having so many different people reviewing stuff. :)

Crothian

First Post
It might be a little long, but I wouldn't worry about it. My longest was around 4000 words I think and was about 4 pages. So, while it is longer then most it is not too long of a review. What book is it on?

MonsterMash

First Post
Not necessarily, one thing I sometimes worry about is my reviews being too short, as if its a fairly big book you may need to give a lot of information to do it justice.

Post it I say!

cybertalus

First Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm gonna take another editing pass to see if I can find anymore dead weight to cut, but I expect to post it sometime this afternoon.

Crothian, it's for Lost Empires of Faerûn.

Oh, and Morrus, given the amount of work this one took, I'm not sure I'm gonna be writing any more ito develop a style or a following. :) Though I'll definitely recommend anyone who reads reviews to write one sometime in order to appreciate what the regular reviewers do for them.

Remove ads