D&D General Reviews For The New Year

Sparky McDibben

Adventurer
Hey y'all, what products are you interested in seeing me review next year? I'm not doing anything on the 2024 rules refresh (mechanics ain't my jam), and I'd prefer to focus on 3rd party products. I like shining a spotlight on creators who could use some more love and don't have WotC's marketing machine behind them.

What y'all got?

J-H

Hero
Are you looking for products that are published in paper form, or DM's Guild modules/campaigns? I have several I'd be happy to have reviewed... just don't expect any art.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Does "no mechanics" mean things like Kobold Press' Deep Magic books are out? Or Cawood Publishing's various monster books?

I've found your in-depth adventure reviews very helpful. I'd love to see reviews of Obvious Mimic's two solo adventures, Wolves of Langston and Crystals of Z'leth. You'll miss the holiday season this year, but Year Without a Cinderclaws looks like one of the better holiday-themed adventures out there and I'd love to read a deep dive of that. And there are two really interesting One-Hour RPG adventure compilations, the City Watch and Wizards of the White Tower, that I think would be interesting reads and shine a spotlight on what seems like a worthy publisher doing fun tightly themed adventures (everyone's in the watch or everyone's a wizard's apprentice).

On the WotC tip, do you have a previous Radiant Citadel deep dive you could point me towards?

Sparky McDibben

Adventurer
Does "no mechanics" mean things like Kobold Press' Deep Magic books are out? Or Cawood Publishing's various monster books?
I tend to avoid books of spells, simply because there are too many options for a critical approach when doing those (do you look at the impact on a class' power budget? The narrative of the spell vs it's in-game impact? Etc). However, I do love me some monster books!

I've found your in-depth adventure reviews very helpful. I'd love to see reviews of Obvious Mimic's two solo adventures, Wolves of Langston and Crystals of Z'leth. You'll miss the holiday season this year, but Year Without a Cinderclaws looks like one of the better holiday-themed adventures out there and I'd love to read a deep dive of that. And there are two really interesting One-Hour RPG adventure compilations, the City Watch and Wizards of the White Tower, that I think would be interesting reads and shine a spotlight on what seems like a worthy publisher doing fun tightly themed adventures (everyone's in the watch or everyone's a wizard's apprentice).

On the WotC tip, do you have a previous Radiant Citadel deep dive you could point me towards?

Ooh! The One-Hour RPG adventures look interesting! As far as the Radiant Citadel piece is concerned, I haven't done a full deep-dive on it, but I've purchased it and found it immensely enjoyable. You can see the Alexandrian's review of it here. Note that that's a 7-part review, so buckle up. I don't agree with his takes on some of the adventures (I think this compilation is probably stronger than he's giving it credit for), but I found it a helpful review when I was deciding to buy the book or not.

Libertad

Hero
Unless you already reviewed them and it escaped my notice, I'd be interested in seeing a review for at least one of these:

The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying by Free League Publishing. I believe it's an "update" to Adventures in Middle-Earth, which was a 5e conversion of The One Ring RPG. I already own AiME so I've been reluctant to pick this one up and would like to hear other people's detailed thoughts on it.

Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands by Raging Swan Press. I hear great things about this publisher, and this is one of their most popular adventures.

Silverplate Campaign Setting by Dream Realms Storytellers. It's kind of a joke setting concept, but sometimes you're in the mood for something different.

Path of the Planebreaker for 5e by Monte Cook Games. A pseudo-setting detailing various planes of existence, with a plane-traveling cursed moon serving as a "hub area."

Last edited:

Remove ads