D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For brand new campaign setting, they could do another fan contest like they did early in the millenium. It turned out a very popular and fun setting !

Or undust the campaign setting that came 2nd?! IIRC it was an aquatic setting but i may be wrong.
The 2nd and 3rd place were repurchased for parts to build pieces of Eberron, actually.

Bolares

Hero
Another question for the more experienced players. How different are Planescape and Spelljammer? As I've not played with any of them I have no idea how different they are.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Another question for the more experienced players. How different are Planescape and Spelljammer? As I've not played with any of them I have no idea how different they are.
Pretty much completely different.

Planescape is centered in Sigil, an infinite it in the center of the Great Wheel, which ties into different worlds via magical portals, including normal worlds like Greyhawk and FR but also Heaven and Hell, etc. Sigil will have bars where Devils and Angels play cards, thst sort of thing. Philosophy gangs rule the roost, and it's all very weird urban fantasy.

Spelljammer is about using magic physical ships to fly into space and travel between planets, but rather than space as we know it, the universe consists of Ptolimaic Crystal Spheres suspended in Phlogiston. No Heaven or Hell, but you can sail a spaceship between the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk (probably with a pounding Heavy Metal soundtrack). There are giant space hamsters, mindflayer fleets, space Elves, space Orcs, space Hippofolk, and all around Vernian zaniness. Very 80's cartoon inspired, could see He-Man style stuff.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I doubt they'll release two planar campaign settings but they might fold them into one and say release Planescape and include everything from it based on Sigil, Factions etc and include the Phlogiston, Spelljammer ships, the Rock of Bral, some races like the Giff, Dracons etc... That would make for a stellar release!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I doubt they'll release two planar campaign settings but they might fold them into one and say release Planescape and include everything from it based on Sigil, Factions etc and include the Phlogiston, Spelljammer ships, the Rock of Bral, some races like the Giff, Dracons etc... That would make for a stellar release!
Well, we're in luck then. Spelljammer isn't a planar setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Spelljammer isn't Planar, it's space. Different concepts, different genres. And I think we will see both, in time.

Remove ads