D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

According to Ray Winninger's Twitter "It's different. Two classic settings next year and a third in 2023, none of which were covered by previous 5E products. We're looking at "revisiting" a setting in 2024."

So I wrong about the 2023 setting being the revisit, it got bumped to 2024, perhaps to line up with the new edition, the same way 3.5e got its own updated FR campaign book from 3e. This would also allow the new book to include info from BG3, the Way of the Drow trilogy (which will be complete by then), the new 5.5e Core Books, the D&D movie, etc..., without spoiling them. I should have considered these factors.

So the 2023 classic setting could Spelljammer, Dragonlance, Mystara, or some other Tier 2 setting.

According to Ray Winninger's Twitter "It's different. Two classic settings next year and a third in 2023, none of which were covered by previous 5E products. We're looking at "revisiting" a setting in 2024."

So I wrong about the 2023 setting being the revisit, it got bumped to 2024, perhaps to line up with the new edition, the same way 3.5e got its own updated FR campaign book from 3e. This would also allow the new book to include info from BG3, the Way of the Drow trilogy (which will be complete by then), the new 5.5e Core Books, the D&D movie, etc..., without spoiling them. I should have considered these factors.

So the 2023 classic setting could Spelljammer, Dragonlance, Mystara, or some other Tier 2 setting.
That moves the pieces around a bit.

With this info, I'm pretty sure we'll see Dragonlance then in the next two years. In fact, I'm now going with Planescape and DL for 2022, with Dark Sun in 2023 (after one final attempt to hash out psionics).

That moves the pieces around a bit.

With this info, I'm pretty sure we'll see Dragonlance then in the next two years. In fact, I'm now going with Planescape and DL for 2022, with Dark Sun in 2023 (after one final attempt to hash out psionics).

sounds about right, but I'd switch Darksun and DL because I think we're getting DS announced for 2022 next month with a Psion and DS races UA.

What is a "tier two setting"?

Way back around the end of the playtest, WotC did a survey about people’s favorite settings, and sorted the results into tiers based on their popularity. I don’t think it’s relevant any more, given how much 5e’s demographics have shifted in the 8 years since then.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Way back around the end of the playtest, WotC did a survey about people’s favorite settings, and sorted the results into tiers based on their popularity. I don’t think it’s relevant any more, given how much 5e’s demographics have shifted in the 8 years since then.
It was a couple years after the Playtest. WotC has continued asking these questions in surveys, so they know better than us how things stand now. But since Planescape maintained Tier 1 popularity after 20 years of zero products, I'd still bet on it maintaining continued appeal.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun

Cool! I’m still hoping we get Planescape and Dark Sun next year, with Spelljammer as part of 2022’s adventure.

2023... I’m now hoping for Dragonlance. 2024, I’ll bet either Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases