D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Salt Marsh is no more a setting book then Curse of Strahd was and they never referred to VRGtR as a revisit, just as a classic setting, so it had to be a classic, none MtG setting book, that has received somekind of none adventure setting book previously in 5e, that left folks unsatisfied. That is FR. And yes I know I've guessed FR before, but I was right about everything except the timing

I mean, you haven't actually been proven right yet, to be clear.

Don't get me wrong, I think 2024 could still have Greyhawk as a nostalgia setting book as well, but Greyhawk isn't the face of D&D anymore, FR is, and Greyhawk hasn't been for a long time, so FR is pretty much a lock. Plus FR gets a new Campaign Setting Book EVERY major or Minor Edition change since it came out, without fail.

See, I think FR being the central setting of 5E works against its likelihood of being a D&D setting. FR gets an adventure book every year that adds more details to it as a setting. I personally feel the D&D 5E team believes they can keep mining FR for adventures, but want to keep using setting books as a method of publishing worlds that will not get that same attention otherwise.

I will reiterate (from another thread) FR is likely the frontrunner for this revisit spot. But I wouldn't count Greyhawk out just yet, it clearly has a lot of fans here and on the D&D Staff (they're as much a sucker for nostalgia as us). And it really is a good candidate in that year due to the 50th Anniversary.

A 50th Anniversary Greyhawk Guide would be super dope, I'd love it! A new FR book would be cool too though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Salt Marsh is no more a setting book then Curse of Strahd was and they never referred to VRGtR as a revisit, just as a classic setting, so it had to be a classic, none MtG setting book, that has received somekind of none adventure setting book previously in 5e, that left folks unsatisfied. That is FR. And yes I know I've guessed FR before, but I was right about everything except the timing (which is true of Forgotten Realms getting a Commander Legends btw).

Don't get me wrong, I think 2024 could still have Greyhawk as a nostalgia setting book as well, but Greyhawk isn't the face of D&D anymore, FR is, and Greyhawk hasn't been for a long time, so FR is pretty much a lock. Plus FR gets a new Campaign Setting Book EVERY major or Minor Edition change since it came out, without fail.
Saltmarsh has a Greyhawk Gazeeter section. I've long seen Greyhawk as a iable candidate for this slot, and now that we know that it is a 50yh Anniversary slot? Yeah, I'm doubling down on that. Note how Winninger puts "quotation marks" around "revisit."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, you haven't actually been proven right yet, to be clear.

See, I think FR being the central setting of 5E works against its likelihood of being a D&D setting. FR gets an adventure book every year that adds more details to it as a setting. I personally feel the D&D 5E team believes they can keep mining FR for adventures, but want to keep using setting books as a method of publishing worlds that will not get that same attention otherwise.

I will reiterate (from another thread) FR is likely the frontrunner for this revisit spot. But I wouldn't count Greyhawk out just yet, it clearly has a lot of fans here and on the D&D Staff (they're as much a sucker for nostalgia as us). And it really is a good candidate in that year due to the 50th Anniversary.

A 50th Anniversary Greyhawk Guide would be super dope, I'd love it! A new FR book would be cool too though.
A ew Forgotten Realma book is a strong possibility at some point...but 50th Anniversary? I dunno.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
They previewed a draft cover for the next book to be announced, that features Boo, the minature Giant Space Hamster. D&D in [the Forgotten Realms] Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
Boo technically already appeared in a AL supplement, but it was entirely silly and not at all AL-legal.

And werent Minsc and Boo in Baldur’s Gate: Descent Into Avernus, too?

Honestly, a Minsc and Boo focused story could just be the 2022 AL season flagship Adventure book.

Saltmarsh has a Greyhawk Gazeeter section. I've long seen Greyhawk as a iable candidate for this slot, and now that we know that it is a 50yh Anniversary slot? Yeah, I'm doubling down on that. Note how Winninger puts "quotation marks" around "revisit."
Looking through it, all I'm seeing is the description of the general vicinity of Saltmarsh - i.e. a small and obscure part of Keoland and the nearby parts of the Azure Sea. There's no detail on the rest of Keoland, let alone the dozens of nations of the rest of the setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Boo technically already appeared in a AL supplement, but it was entirely silly and not at all AL-legal.

And werent Minsc and Boo in Baldur’s Gate: Descent Into Avernus, too?

Honestly, a Minsc and Boo focused story could just be the 2022 AL season flagship Adventure book.
I'm sure the Hydro cover is for an Adventure, just one that involves Beholders and Boo, and apparently bring us "somewhere spooky that we haven't gone to yet." Thst, and the tease of a Setting getting a cameo suggests an Adventure with Spelljamming.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Looking through it, all I'm seeing is the description of the general vicinity of Saltmarsh - i.e. a small and obscure part of Keoland and the nearby parts of the Azure Sea. There's no detail on the rest of Keoland, let alone the dozens of nations of the rest of the setting.
The 30 page Gazateer goes into regional politics (including Iuz!) and religion. It is focused, but it is a visit to the Setting. A Greyhawk Setting could reasonably be described as a "revisit" with air quotes on Winninger's part, and would fit for a 59th anniversary product capitalizing on nostalgia and, more importantly, borrowed nostalgia selling newer players on the heritage of the game.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Anyone have a link to the relevant info on the survey results people are drawing the tier 1, tier 2, etc setting info from?

That's good to hear. So three "new" classic settings in the next two years and a fourth classic setting "revisit" in 2024.

The top contenders for the "new" classic settings are, I think: Dark Sun, Spelljammer, and Planescape. All the talk of multiverse in the panel discussion points pretty hard to Spelljammer and/or Planescape.

The revisit is limited to Eberron, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk as they've already done Ravenloft. While doing a Greyhawk book for the 50th makes a lot of sense, it's almost guaranteed to be FR. A new trilogy of Drizzt books. A Forgotten Realms movie. Re-release of FR-based video games. It's going to be FR.

The 30 page Gazateer goes into regional politics (including Iuz!) and religion. It is focused, but it is a visit to the Setting. A Greyhawk Setting could reasonably be described as a "revisit" with air quotes on Winninger's part, and would fit for a 59th anniversary product capitalizing on nostalgia and, more importantly, borrowed nostalgia selling newer players on the heritage of the game.
Oh, I agree with the "revisit" idea, just that calling the description of Saltmarsh and vicinity a "Greyhawk Gazeeter" is a bit of an overstatement.

Remove ads