D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Anyone have a link to the relevant info on the survey results people are drawing the tier 1, tier 2, etc setting info from?

That's good to hear. So three "new" classic settings in the next two years and a fourth classic setting "revisit" in 2024.

The top contenders for the "new" classic settings are, I think: Dark Sun, Spelljammer, and Planescape. All the talk of multiverse in the panel discussion points pretty hard to Spelljammer and/or Planescape.

The revisit is limited to Eberron, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk as they've already done Ravenloft. While doing a Greyhawk book for the 50th makes a lot of sense, it's almost guaranteed to be FR. A new trilogy of Drizzt books. A Forgotten Realms movie. Re-release of FR-based video games. It's going to be FR.
Dragonlance is a potential choice as well, for one of the "new" slots, for the same reasons the Realms are - there are new novels coming out, so it would be the perfect time for a tie-in...

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'm sure the Hydro cover is for an Adventure, just one that involves Beholders and Boo, and apparently bring us "somewhere spooky that we haven't gone to yet." Thst, and the tease of a Setting getting a cameo suggests an Adventure with Spelljamming.

I may be wrong about this, but that may be connecting two comments that aren't necessarily related. The book being announced next month is the "spooky place we haven't gone to yet," but I don't think that is necessarily the same as the book with the Boo cover.

They could still be the same, I'd just be surprised if a big adventure book is announced next month, as that would be a lot sooner than they're announced normally (in the summer).

I mean, you haven't actually been proven right yet, to be clear.

See, I think FR being the central setting of 5E works against its likelihood of being a D&D setting. FR gets an adventure book every year that adds more details to it as a setting. I personally feel the D&D 5E team believes they can keep mining FR for adventures, but want to keep using setting books as a method of publishing worlds that will not get that same attention otherwise.

I will reiterate (from another thread) FR is likely the frontrunner for this revisit spot. But I wouldn't count Greyhawk out just yet, it clearly has a lot of fans here and on the D&D Staff (they're as much a sucker for nostalgia as us). And it really is a good candidate in that year due to the 50th Anniversary.

A 50th Anniversary Greyhawk Guide would be super dope, I'd love it! A new FR book would be cool too though.

Actual no FR doesn't, it didn't one this year and I think it didn't get one when Curse of Strahd came out, and BG: DiA wasn't originally supposed to be an FR adventure tied to BG, that happened later because they wanted a BG3 link.

This idea is based on the early 5e belief that the Forgotten Realms would be explored via Adventure Books filling in details that the SCAG didn't based on Tomb of Annihilation, but then that never happened. We've gotten more Adventures outside of the Forgotten Realms now then within the Forgotten Realms, but outside the Swordcoast (I include the Swordcoasts Underdark as part of the Swordcoast).

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Actual no FR doesn't, it didn't one this year and I think it didn't get one when Curse of Strahd came out, and BG: DiA wasn't originally supposed to be an FR adventure tied to BG, that happened later because they wanted a BG3 link.

This idea is based on the early 5e belief that the Forgotten Realms would be explored via Adventure Books filling in details that the SCAG didn't based on Tomb of Annihilation, but then that never happened. We've gotten more Adventures outside of the Forgotten Realms now then within the Forgotten Realms, but outside the Swordcoast (I include the Swordcoasts Underdark as part of the Swordcoast).

2021: Candlekeep (including stops in Tashalar and the Anauroch Desert)
2020: Icewind Dale
2019: Baldur's Gate
2018: Waterdeep
2017: Chult

Each of these books provides sections devoted to filling out details, npcs, and adventure hooks to those locations. They don't all go beyond the Sword Coast, but they do all provide a lot of detailed information and maps on locations that either get less info in the SCAG, or wouldn't get as much info in a sequel Setting Book.

I think I have to be misunderstanding you? How is this true?

Outside the Forgotten Realms adventures:

1. Curse of Strahd
2. Witchlight (dang title is too long)
3. 3 quarters of Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus with the FR content being tacked on because of BG3.
4. Most of Yawning Portal
5. Ghosts of Saltmarsh

So that's like 5 adventures that partly or completely outside the Forgotten Realms

The only adventure to take place in FR outside the Swordcoast and its part of the Underdark was Tomb of Anniliation and 1 part of Stories of the Yawning Portal.

For Swordcoast adventures there is

1. Frostmaiden Swordcoast
2. Tiamat adventures Swordcoast
3. Storm Giants Thunder, Swordcoast
4. The first part of BG: DiA Swordcoast
5. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist Swordcoast
6. WaterDeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage Sword Coast
7. Elemental Evil Swordcoast
8. The one with Demon lords, forgot the name, Swordcoasts Underdark.

There is a very, very good risen why frustrated Forgotten Realms fans created the Remembered Realms (Swordcoast) vs Forgotten Realms (the rest of Faerun and beyond) Meme.

Honestly it's disgraceful we have to wait till 2024 to rectify this for the most profitable setting.

Remove ads