D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nobody's confirmed that it's an adventure path yet, yeah?

It could be an Anthology book a la Candlekeep Mysteries and Tales From the Yawning Portal, too (though I imagine, if Ghosts of Saltmarsh fits this same mold, that the next Anthology book would be 2023). It also could be just a setting released in June, a la Mythic Odysseys of Theros.

What we're not getting is the next AL season until August/September, especially given that Critical Role: Call From the Neverdeep is our Spring (non-AL) adventure path. And it's HIGHLY unlikely that the AL is taking a sojourn to Krynnspace for this year's AL season. I also think the timing suggests that DragonLance is a Q4 release, with Spelljammer a Q2 release. So we'll get our Adventure Module in September like usual, Spelljammer or DragonLance in a brand new format and the other in a normal setting or anthology format, with Spelljammer in May/June (likely June to give space for the solo-release of Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse). Then Starter Set: Dragons of Stormwreck Coast in July or August, and then AL-related module in August/September, with DragonLance in October/November/December. And probably at least one more NEW product in Q4, and at least one holiday gift-set/special edition set in Q4, too.
Yeah, we are just speculating. But we do know that Winninger billed the two classic Settings this year as having some sort of innovation in format, so they will be different from what we have seen before in some fashion.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Yeah, we are just speculating. But we do know that Winninger billed the two classic Settings this year as having some sort of innovation in format, so they will be different from what we have seen before in some fashion.
With a third classic setting wink and nod, right?

Different from what we have seen suggests it won't quite be like Ghosts of Saltmarsh or Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos, where you get a 1/4 setting gazateer & mechanics and 3/4 adventure. Still wondering if Spelljammer will be only nodded at in a "Multiversal Adventurers" book and the Spelljammer lineages we tested and the Spelljammers on the Rules Expansion special edition gift set box were red herrings.

Also still wondering if Starter Set: Dragons of Stormwreck Isle will be one of these settings-in-new-format releases.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
With a third classic setting wink and nod, right?

Different from what we have seen suggests it won't quite be like Ghosts of Saltmarsh or Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos, where you get a 1/4 setting gazateer & mechanics and 3/4 adventure. Still wondering if Spelljammer will be only nodded at in a "Multiversal Adventurers" book and the Spelljammer lineages we tested and the Spelljammers on the Rules Expansion special edition gift set box were red herrings.

Also still wondering if Starter Set: Dragons of Stormwreck Isle will be one of these settings-in-new-format releases.
I suspect the Starter Set may be the cameo: the leaked box art seems to have characters from the 80's cartoon.

It is worth noting that when Wonninger made the teases about a new print format, neither Witchlight nor Strixhaven had been announced, so their more mixed format hadn't been "seen" yet. Though time will tell what he meant.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
We've seen Starter Sets, Player Options, Monsters, DM rules, and Adventure Paths.

We've seen a Player's option short pdf companion to an adventure.

We've seen Campaign Settings Gazetteer with Player's Options, Monsters, & DM rules.

We've seen Player's Options (Lineages), deep lore dives, and monsters.

We've seen Adventure Anthologies.

We've seen Player's Option (classes) + feats + DM's tool box expansions.

We've seen Loosely linked adventurers on theme + DM's tool box expansions.

We've seen Player's Options (1 lineage) plus DM's tool box or short adventure in a pdf.

We've seen Campaign Gazeteers with a handful of Player's options tossed in.

We've seen Adventure paths with a couple of Player's options tossed in.

We've seen Campaign guides that are mostly an Adventure path with a handful of player's option and a meaty lore deep dive / gazeteer that's less meaty than a primary campaign gazetteer.

We've seen Player's Options (Lineages) + Monsters, without deep lore dives (more of the crunch, less of the fluff).

What would you hazard we haven't seen of the above that would count as a mixed format?

I suspect the Starter Set may be the cameo: the leaked box art seems to have characters from the 80's cartoon.

It is worth noting that when Wonninger made the teases about a new print format, neither Witchlight nor Strixhaven had been announced, so their more mixed format hadn't been "seen" yet. Though time will tell what he meant.
That's actually a very reasonable guess that I hadn't considered. If the new starter set contains pregen characters that are 5e versions of the kids from the cartoon show, would that - after Witchlight - count as a return to an existing setting?

I know people are really excited for a Spelljammer campaign setting, but if there are spelljammer helms in multiple 5e adventures, would that count for a 'nod'?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What would you hazard we haven't seen of the above that would count as a mixed format?

Honestly couldn't say: theybhabe surprised us before, like Mearls and Crawfords vague hints about what they wanted to try for a new approach to Settings that eventually came out with Ravnica and Eberron.

That's actually a very reasonable guess that I hadn't considered. If the new starter set contains pregen characters that are 5e versions of the kids from the cartoon show, would that - after Witchlight - count as a return to an existing setting?
No, the texture is for a 2024 product, the third one this year all we know is that it is a "cameo." Using cartoon elements would fit thst, I think.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It occurs to me that if it's Planesjammer and next years classic setting is Greyhawk, that will neatly tie the three linked Material Plane worlds (mentioned in the Veil of the Blue Dream spell) of Oerth, Krynn, and Toril together very neatly, with Planesjammer as the glue trying them together.

I'm not saying GH will be next year, just a weird thought.
Greyhawk would be great for the 50 year anniversary in 2024.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases