D&D 5E Revisiting RAW Darkness Spell

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So do you perhaps think that only creatures with darkvision cannot see through it, but if you don't have darkvision you see through it just fine?
I think creatures without darkvision can see through it. But just like regular post errata darkness they cannot see into it.

Normally a creature with darkvision can see through normal darkness. Natural language that often means the same as they can see into the darkness. I believe all that rule 'creatures with darkvision cannot see through this darkness' is telling is is that their darkvision doesn't allow them to see into the darkness like they normally can. I believe that's why it doesn't mention creatures without darkvision.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Right, and you're in that area, and you're trying to see something.
But you aren't trying to see something in that area. You are trying to see something outside that area.

2 Scenarios.
1. Creatures with normal vision and darkvision cannot see creatures inside it. We all agree there.
2. Creature is inside the darkness and trying to see something outside it.

Post errata there is no rule that would not permit a creature in darkness from seeing a creature in a lit area outside the darkness. In fact the rule that didn't allow that was errated away. There has never been anything in the darkness spell itself that precludes creatures without darkvision from seeing through it. So a creature without darkvision should be able to stand in the darkness and see a creature out of it. The only question - which I've made my case for - is whether a creature with darkvision can do the same.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
You are in an area where vision is blocked. You cannot see anything. If you are outside the area of darkness, you have the blinded condition relative to anything inside it, which doesn't relate to any conditions on anyone inside it.

FrogReaver

You are in an area where vision is blocked. You cannot see anything. If you are outside the area of darkness, you have the blinded condition relative to anything inside it, which doesn't relate to any conditions on anyone inside it.
A heavily obscured area--such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage--blocks vision entirely. A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition when trying to see something in that area.

Reads to me that it only blocks vision entirely when trying to see something in that area. What makes you believe it applies to more situations than that?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
A heavily obscured area--such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage--blocks vision entirely. A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition when trying to see something in that area.

Reads to me that it only blocks vision entirely when trying to see something in that area. What makes you believe it applies to more situations than that?
"Blocks vision entirely."

Remove ads