D&D 5E Revisiting RAW Darkness Spell

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Regular Darkness doesn't actually block anything in at least one example. You are in light, your opponent is in light and there is darkness between. In that case you will be able to shoot him as normal. Darkness magical or otherwise didn't block anything.
It's not the opponent that the darkness in between blocked, it's everything within the darkness between the two pockets of light that is blocked from being seen. Regular darkness blocks seeing whatever is within the regular darkness. But since regular darkness doesn't block regular light (unlike the Darkness spell, which does)... you can easily see anything lit up beyond the darkness in whatever diameter of light is out there.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's not the opponent that the darkness in between blocked, it's everything within the darkness between the two pockets of light that is blocked from being seen. Regular darkness blocks seeing whatever is within the regular darkness. But since regular darkness doesn't block regular light (unlike the Darkness spell, which does)... you can easily see anything lit up beyond the darkness in whatever diameter of light is out there.
IMO. Trying to bring physics into fantasy game mechanics is an exercise fraught with peril. It's fun but not really meaningful.

FrogReaver

This rule has been errated rendering most of my above reasoning moot. It's looking more and more like the Darkness Spell allows you to see out as normal.

"A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A)." becomes "A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A) when trying to see something in that area."

Torquar

Explorer
This rule has been errated rendering most of my above reasoning moot. It's looking more and more like the Darkness Spell allows you to see out as normal.

"A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A)." becomes "A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A) when trying to see something in that area."
But the sentence before that says "A heavily obscured area-such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage-blocks vision entirely".

FrogReaver

But the sentence before that says "A heavily obscured area-such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage-blocks vision entirely".
Which at best is ambiguous. There's lots of ways it can block vision entirely while not doing so in every conceivable scenario. The rules go on to clarify how it blocks vision entirely - and with the errata it's became even clearer.

Iry

Hero
The "Blocks Vision Entirely" and "Nonmagical Light Can't Illuminate It" are the phrases that cement RAW for me. Without assuming basic physics, you trigger the "But it doesn't say I can't" argument. And that way leads to madness.*
*Madness in this case meaning a completely non-functional game.

FrogReaver

The "Blocks Vision Entirely" and "Nonmagical Light Can't Illuminate It" are the phrases that cement RAW for me. Without assuming basic physics, you trigger the "But it doesn't say I can't" argument. And that way leads to madness.*
*Madness in this case meaning a completely non-functional game.
Behavior of light isn't exactly basic physics ;) Behavior of light in magic is even less basic physics ;)

"Blocks Vision Entirerly" was errated away...
So let's take the "Nonmagical Light can't illuminate it." No idea why that matters in this context?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases