D&D 5E Revisiting RAW Darkness Spell

gatorized

Explorer
The area between you and the source of the light is darkness. It’s like you’ve never been outside at night. Forget about the darkness spell a moment and let’s talk normal darkness.

your answer is really that it’s not actually dark between you and the light source because you can see the light source of in the distance?
You can see through normal darkness. You can't see through magical darkness.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yes it is. What else would it be?
I think it’s easiest to work backwards. Go outside in a dark night where all you can see is the stars. Those stars are illuminated. Thus, By your definition they illuminate the whole world because you can see them and yet no one is going to say that the world at night with no sun up or moon shining is illuminated. It’s dark. It’s not illuminated.

That is it takes more than a tiny amount of light to cause illumination. That is The natural concept of illumination requires something different than the total absence of light.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think it’s easiest to work backwards. Go outside in a dark night where all you can see is the stars. Those stars are illuminated. Thus, By your definition they illuminate the whole world because you can see them and yet no one is going to say that the world at night with no sun up or moon shining is illuminated. It’s dark. It’s not illuminated.

That is it takes more than a tiny amount of light to cause illumination. That is The natural concept of illumination requires something different than the total absence of light.
Stars do illuminate the whole world. Not much, but that’s why it’s possible to see (albeit poorly) on a moonless night with no man made light source.

That is it takes more than a tiny amount of light to cause illumination.
It is the same thing just a continuum. That is illumination, just low level, possibly not enough to make something not 'heavily obscured' in D&D terms. But that's not what we are talking about with this spell. If it was cast in area where only illumination was some faint distant dots of light to begin with, none of this would matter, as in game terms it would all be darkness anyway. But this spell can be cast in bright daylight, and if that bright daylight can move through it and be seen, then it most definitely is not darkness!

Remove ads