D&D 5E Revisiting RAW Darkness Spell

By natural language - the stars don’t illuminate the earth.
giphy.gif

1) It would mean that the area can be illuminated which the spell specifically says is not possible.
2) It would make the spell largely pointless.
I honestly believe that when the Darkness spell says the area cannot be illuminated, it just really means that you can't turn the the area from heavily obscured to one of the other three states (dim and bright light.)

And no, the spell would be far from useless as it would allow you to mas ranged attacks against your opponents outside the area with advantage, while benefiting from being heavily obscured yourself (just like in 3.5e when the spell was meant to be cast where your party where standing).

I honestly believe that when the Darkness spell says the area cannot be illuminated, it just really means that you can't turn the the area from heavily obscured to one of the other three states (dim and bright light.)
Then you cannot describe it in a manner which makes that obviously not true! If you want something to be obscured, then it must look obscured. Furthermore, your description definitely involved the area being illuminated by normal definition of 'illuminated'.

And no, the spell would be far from useless as it would allow you to mas ranged attacks against your opponents outside the area with advantage, while benefiting from being heavily obscured yourself (just like in 3.5e when the spell was meant to be cast where your party where standing).

Except your description is not consistent with being heavily obscured.

silhouette-photography2.jpg

These people are not heavily obscured.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Then you cannot describe it in a manner which makes that obviously not true! If you want something to be obscured, then it must look obscured. Furthermore, your description definitely involved the area being illuminated by normal definition of 'illuminated'.

I’d also argue they’re not in what would be considered darkness by D&D 5e rules. I’d call that dim light. Which is what “transparent darkness” would realistically produce when illuminated.

I do agree those guys aren't heavily obscured, but please notice that it's an issue with the vision and light rules in general, not with the spell Darkness. By the rules, someone standing in a dark hallway, right outside the dim light radius of a torch would also be considered heavily obscured even if common sense says their silhouette would be clearly visible against the bright background.

I do agree those guys aren't heavily obscured, but please notice that it's an issue with the vision and light rules in general, not with the spell Darkness. By the rules, someone standing in a dark hallway, right outside the dim light radius of a torch would also be considered heavily obscured even if common sense says their silhouette would be clearly visible against the bright background.
That's why the game is run by a human being capable of making case-by-case judgements and not by an algorithm. With visibility you ultimately have to consider the POV of the people looking.

Remove ads