• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reviving my 2nd edition Campaign

Drasek

First Post
I always liked 2nd edition. Maybe because I grew up with it or had a great time while playing, who knows. I also still think that despite its shortcomings, it had some good concepts and some advantages over 3.x edition.
However I didn't open this topic for a comparison. Along with two of my former players we decided to continue the campaign we had going on and stopped around 7-8 years ago (me as a DM). As it is difficult to convert the whole campaign to another edition (moreover as we had tons of accessories etc. we never used) we decided to stay old school. So I'd like to have some ideas of what to use (or not to use) and what to change when possible.

• We decided that we liked the grid combat system, and we'll be using it according to Combat and Tactics (without the confusing initiative system of course)
  • We'll also being using the critical system in the same book
  • We have many of the FR thingies and a good number of the various handbooks.
My main problem is what to do with the non-weapon proficiencies. While I never had any problems back in the day, after playing 3.5e I understood how much better this system is. Is there any way I could make the NWPs better? Is the system in Skills and Power any good? Could I somewhat use another system instead?

What other things would you consider changing/introducing in a 2nd edition campaign in order to improve it?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Personally, I have no problem with the 2e NWP. But if you prefer the 3.5 skill/feat system....just use it.

"Import" the system you know and like into the game. I promise, I will not call the Edition Police to come after you. ;)

As for other stuff...are you going to play in FR or you just have materials for them and playing in some other setting?

Drasek

First Post
:p No, it's not a matter of the Edition Police. I wonder if implementing directly the skills system from 3.5 would work in practice. That's why I'm asking about the PO Skills and Powers system.

The campaign was set in FR so I'll keep it there.

PS I must say that for me the weapon proficiencies system of 2nd edition (especially with the various Fighter's Handbook add-ins e.g. expertise, weapon groups etc.) is OK.

slwoyach

First Post
I find the weapon groups grant the best of both worlds (2e/3e). I'm thinking of making a group one proficiency slot and specialzation another slot.

Drasek

First Post
That could work. Expertise is really helpful for paladins or multi-classed fighters too.

Another concern I have is "spell concentration". I don't like the 3rd edition skill or the whole defensive casting. On the other hand, always losing your spell if you are hurt is not good either.
I found there is a Concentration non-weapon proficiency in a PO book, but it's kind of lame (taking 2h.p. or less damage AND a roll). I'm thinking maybe increasing the damage to 2h.p. + a modifier.
Any opinions?

Remove ads