D&D 5E Rewarding Overland Travel

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yup!

Or a bear might get into them, or you might come across some hungry wanderers and decide to help them out with some food, or a supernaturally evil fiend or fey may cause them to spontaneously generate maggots, or any number of things that make it so it honestly doesn't matter how much the goliath can heft.
Don't forget there are two outlanders in the party & the group didn't actually need those rations anyways. The sheer scale of levelup's changes show how nontrivial fixing this kind of thing is to accomplish with mere houserules

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Part of the rationale for this thread, in the OP, is that making encumbrance a feature of the game gives a reason to build a PC who is good at handling encumbrance. And that gives a reason to build a Goliath. Who then, it turns out, makes the encumbrance aspect of the game basically disappear, because of the very large carrying capacity compared to the weights of goods that are salient in the context of overland travel.
Yeah, exactly. I say: let the Goliath wipe out the need to keep track of encumbrance! Let the Outlander wipe out the need to keep track of rations! Let the Ranger prevent anything from ambushing the group! Let them be powerful!

AND add in incentives to encourage exploration!

In another thread on the Exploration Pillar, I came up with the idea of using rewards instead of consequences for Overland Travel. I had a little free time, so I worked up a system!

Reward Instead of Cost

The idea of this system is to replace the consequences of a Random Encounter during the Overland Travel portion of the Exploration Pillar. When exploring a dungeon, the characters are naturally curious, wanting to know what's behind locked doors, inside trapped treasure chests, or beyond the monsters because there are rewards: treasure, quest goals, etc. On the other hand, I've found that many Overland Travel systems rely on a series of costs: rations, water, encumbrance, exhaustion, HP, HD, and so on.

The problem is that characters are really good at mitigating costs. In my own group, we wanted to play really crunchy 5e so we studied up on the rules of encumbrance, rations, resting, and so on... Then the Druid cast Goodberry, two characters had the Outlander background, the Goliath Barbarian could carry everyone's stuff (and everyone), and my own wizard quickly got Rope Trick. We quickly mitigated the costs of survival in the wilderness.

I propose flipping this on its head. Instead of a chance for a cost, Random Encounters should always have a chance for a reward.

These rewards can be trivial: fresh food or water, a bit of lore, some healing potions... but the encounters will now reward player curiosity and drive characters to explore more!

The Simple Solution: Roll for Rewards, not Dangers

My usual Random Encounter table is made up of a big list of monsters and environmental risks, with a smaller list of friendly or neutral NPC's or natural wonders.

I think this should be flipped! DM's should be rolling on a table of Rewards first! Then, the obstacles and risks can be decided.

Now just a note: I don't think this is appropriate for Dungeon Exploration. Dungeons already have a balance of rewards and risks planned out in advance. This system is meant for Overland Travel.

How It Would Work

Theoretically, a DM would add this system to whatever they are already using for Overland Travel. If you keep track of rations and water, great! If you have characters take on levels of Exhaustion, great!

The DM would also decide how often Random Encounters occur. Maybe they roll three times a day (that's what I do, Morning, Afternoon, Night). Maybe once a day. Maybe there's one encounter per journey.

When a DM decides there will be a Random Encounter, they roll on the following tables, or just use them for inspiration. Please note that these tables don't provide rules, just flavor. A DM is invited to deviate from these ideas, or just use them to generate other ideas. In other words, a cliff doesn't have to be a cliff. A Glyph of Warding doesn't have to be a Glyph of Warding.

The first table a DM uses is the Rewards Table. This creates a reward for whatever Exploration will follow. These rewards should be adjusted to the environment; while low-level characters will be glad to find a source of Fresh Water, for a 14th-level character that source of Fresh Water in the 82nd Level of Hell might have healing properties or allow them to cure Exhaustion levels.

Once the Reward is rolled, the DM then rolls on the Obstacles and Signs tables. The Obstacles Table generates an idea for what is preventing the characters from immediately accessing the reward. The Signs Table generates ideas for what catches the characters' notice in the first place. Keep in mind more clues and signs can be found, such as finding out what enemies are near, or what risks lie in wait.

Overland Travel Tables

Encounter Reward (1d6)

1. Treasure (1d4)
    1. Coins, Gems, and Art Objects
    2. Magic Item (common)
    3. Magic Item (uncommon)
    4. Useful Tools, Supplies, Weapons, or Armor
  2. Resources (1d4)
    1. Food: hunting grounds, wild fruits and vegetables, or stored rations.
    2. Fresh Water: natural spring, ancient fountain, or stored bottles
    3. Magic Materials: adamantine, mithril, or material components
    4. Potions: healing potions, holy water, or alchemist's fire
  3. Knowledge
    1. Information (1d6)
      1. about a local enemy (resistances, vulnerabilities, motivations, etc.)
      2. about a local settlement (secrets, alliances, thieve's guilds, etc.)
      3. about the current quest (secret doors, traps, treasures, etc.)
      4. about a treasure (reroll a random encounter with a Treasure Reward)
      5. about a shelter (reroll a random encounter with a Shelter Reward)
      6. about a shortcut (reroll a random encounter with a Shortcut Reward)
    2. Source (1d4)
      1. a hunter, turncoat, spy, adventurer, traveler, or hermit
      2. a tome, map, journal, scroll, or sign
      3. a mosaic, carving, statue, song, or legend
      4. a ghost, devil, talking animal, or awakened plant
  4. Alliance (1d6)
    1. Helpful expert
    2. Enemy with information
    3. Merchant with goods for sale
    4. Local politician or nobility
    5. Important guild representative
    6. Traveler with knowledge (reroll on the Knowledge Reward table)
  5. Shelter
    1. Lookout tower
    2. Deserted village
    3. Fortified outpost
    4. Secure cave
    5. Abandoned temple
    6. Crumbling castle
  6. Shortcut (1d4)
    1. safe (no encounters)
    2. dangerous (characters will encounter enemies; roll on the Enemies Obstacles Table)
    3. difficult (characters will encounter natural obstacles; roll on the Natural Obstacles Table)
    4. magical (teleportation circle, flying rug, etc.)
Obstacles (1d4)
  1. Natural Obstacle (1d6)
    1. cliff or gorge
    2. avalanche or fallen trees
    3. storm or exposure to the elements
    4. thorns or thick vegetation
    5. biting insets or poisonous pests
    6. thick fog or toxic miasma
  2. Dangerous Enemies (1d4)
    1. easy encounter
    2. medium encounter
    3. hard encounter
    4. deadly encounter
  3. Difficult to Locate (1d4)
    1. far away
    2. in a labyrinthine location
    3. purposefully hidden
    4. known only in legend or song
  4. Magical Barrier (1d4)
    1. magical traps
    2. illusionary terrain
    3. glyphs of warding
    4. desecrated territory
Signs (1d6)
  1. Gossiping Travelers (1d20)
    1. thieves
    2. merchants
    3. brigands
    4. hunters
    5. herbalists
    6. smithies
    7. sages
    8. bards
    9. captured enemies
    10. couriers
    11. soldiers
    12. knights
    13. exiled nobles
    14. caravanners
    15. mercenaries
    16. priests
    17. weary travelers
    18. cartographers
    19. toll takers
    20. bridge builders
  2. Traces or Tracks
    1. old coins printed with the symbols of a long dead kingdom
    2. monstrous footprints
    3. footprints of hungry or thirsty beasts
    4. traces of fresh water or food
    5. signs of a recent battle
    6. signs of a battle from long ago
    7. torn pages from a book
    8. footprints from the indigenous population
    9. footprints of enemy scouts
    10. wagon wheel tracks
    11. torn bit of a banner
    12. footprints of a unique mount
    13. caravan tracks
    14. footprints of a roosting beast
    15. an ancient, overgrown road
    16. footprints of travelers
    17. broken branches and twigs leading in one direction
    18. footprints of outlanders, purposefully covered up
    19. an abandoned campsite
    20. lots of blood
  3. Corpses (1d12)
    1. thieves
    2. monstrous guards
    3. travelers with fresh food or water
    4. beasts with fresh food in their claws, mouths, or bellies
    5. slain enemies
    6. slain adventurers
    7. a sage with blood-spattered notes
    8. couriers
    9. guards wearing the sigil of a noble house
    10. roosting beast
    11. caravanners
    12. a local hermit
  4. Documents
    1. a treasure map
    2. a journal entry
    3. a song
    4. a lost letter home
    5. a hand-drawn map
    6. a merchant's itemized list of supplies
    7. a tome of lore
    8. a lost painting
    9. a letter of scholarly inquiry
    10. a scroll sealed with a signet ring
    11. an order signed by a knight
    12. an intercepted letter of political import
    13. written directions on a scrap of parchment
    14. a letter from a guest
    15. a charcoal sketch
    16. a coded letter
    17. an ancient traveler's tale
    18. a star map
    19. a will
    20. a wanted poster
  5. Signs and Carvings (1d12)
    1. a hand-carved sign
    2. codes carved into trees and rocks
    3. an old, cracked wooden sign
    4. the carved sigil of an old merchant house
    5. statues of legendary heroes
    6. signs carved in an enemy language
    7. sigils of important factions carved into trees or stones
    8. the word HELP, BEWARE, or DANGER quickly slashed into an old stump
    9. statues of an ancient ruler forgotten to time
    10. an overgrown archway that once stood over a common road
    11. signs naming a village that no longer exists
    12. carvings into overgrown cobblestones of horses or other common animals
  6. Magical Signs
    1. ghost
    2. programmed illusion
    3. consecrated ground
    4. trickling stream of holy water
    5. magic mouth
    6. animal messenger
    7. alarm spell
    8. glyphs of warding
    9. spirits of the former inhabitants of a lost village
    10. wandering animated objects
    11. druid signs
    12. unnatural changes to the environment

Two Examples: Low-Level and High-Level

I'm going to create some examples of Random Encounter using this system, using imagined adventures for a 2nd-Level Group and a 14th-Level Group.

Encounters in the Witchwoods (2nd Level)

The first example will be a 2nd-Level Group traveling through the Witchwoods to a big dungeon called Blind Bear Hollow, a series of caves beneath the roots of a gargantuan oak tree. As a DM, I've sketched out some ideas of what the Witchwoods are like: a big tangle of trees, branches, and briars. There are goblins and worgs who work for a nearby hag. It'll take three days for the characters to reach Blind Bear Hollow. There's a 10% chance for a Random Encounter, which I roll three times a day.

Encounter 1:

On the first afternoon I roll a Random Encounter! I roll a Reward, Obstacle, and Signs.

Reward: Shortcut (safe - no encounters)
Obstacle: Dangerous Enemies (hard encounter)
Signs: Signs and Carvings - statues of an ancient ruler forgotten to time

While traveling, the rogue scouting ahead sees the statue of some ancient queen, worn smooth by rain and time. It's standing above the entrance to an old tomb. The characters will find out that this tomb is a shortcut, a tunnel beneath a series of hills with a thick growth of trees. It'll cut a day off their travel. Using a Random Encounter Generator, I create a Hard Encounter: a Goblin Boss, two Goblins, and a Wolf. These goblins have set up a camp here, and don't like intruders!

Encounter 2:

The next evening I roll another Random Encounter. So once again I roll a Reward, Obstacle, and Signs. Here's what I get:

Reward: Resources (potions)
Obstacle: Magical Barrier (desecrated territory)
Signs: Corpses (caravanners)

The group notices corpses of caravanners near a big gnarled tree. When they approach, they all have to make Wisdom Saving Throws or become Frightened of the tree! The Wizard uses an Arcana check to recognize the area around this tree is Desecrated. The cleric makes a Medicine check and finds out these caravanners died of fright! The Barbarian gets buffed up with some Saving Throw bonuses and charges in. In the hollow of the tree they find a few Healing Potions, brewed by the local hag. Meanwhile, the Cleric starts rituals to cleanse the souls of the caravanners and bury them away from the evil tree. And the rogue searches around for where these people left their cart... maybe there's something valuable!

Encounter 3:

On the way back out of the dungeon, the characters again head towards that useful Shortcut! Luckily they drew it on their map. I roll a Random Encounter on the morning of their last day in the Witchwoods...

Reward: Resources (magical resources)
Obstacle: Natural Obstacles (thorns or thick vegetation)
Signs: Magical Signs (glyph of warding)

On the final day, the group is passing through some very thick briar patches, hacking and slashing, when they come upon a clearing that looks like it was hit by a tornado! On the far side of the clearing is a massive thicket of dry, thorny vines. At the front of this thicket, the vines have been curved and shaped into an odd glyph. This a Glyph of Warding, set by the local hag to protect some valuable magical materials inside the thicket. If a character approaches too close, the triggered Glyph casts the spell Dust Devil! Inside the thicket, the characters find three leather bags with 50 gp worth of Ruby Dust in each, perfect for the now 3rd-Level Cleric's Continual Flame spell!

Encounters in the Fractured Lands (Level 14)

A group of 14th-level characters is traveling in the Fractured Lands, an area torn apart by planar forces. They're heading to a kingdom of Genasi who live on a floating bit of earth above the arctic sea. I'm imagining the Fractured Lands as a series of volcanoes, but each erupts with a different element: fire, cold, acid, lighting... This is a long journey, two full weeks, and the characters are most likely flying around. Because of the elemental forces, the characters must make Constitution Saving Throws three times a day or take on a level of Exhaustion (max: 3). I don't want to interrupt the journey too often, so I roll for Random Encounters once a day.

Let's say during the journey they have three random encounters...

Encounter 1:

Reward:
Shelter (deserted village)
Obstacle: Dangerous Enemies (medium encounter)
Signs: Traces or Tracks (footprints of an enemy scout)

The group's ranger finds footprints of half-dragon scouts emerging from a cave in the nearby obsidian cliffs. This cave leads to an underground abandoned village, now home to a camp of four half-red-dragon veterans. The cave keeps the village protected from the exhausting heat of the volcano, allowing the group to rest without having to make Constitution Saving Throws!

Encounter 2:

Reward:
Knowledge (of a local enemy from a hunter, turncoat, spy, adventurer, traveler, or hermit)
Obstacle: Magical Barrier (magical traps)
Signs: Gossiping Travelers (bridge builders)

This is a high-level area, so those bridge builders are not ordinary! In fact, they're celestials, building a Planar Bridge that will eventually allow other celestials to use the Fractured Lands to journey to different planes. They tell the characters that there's a local Hermit, a Deva who prefers to live in the Fractured Lands, and who is an expert on the Fiendish Dragons who are the most powerful enemies in the territory. However, they should be careful, they hear he's surrounded his abode with magical traps! Using a Random Trap Generator (thank you, internet!) I develop a Lightning Coil Trap, and I like the idea of the Hermit living on a Lightning Volcano, trapping and using the lightning for strange planar experiments! If the characters get through the trap, the Hermit will tell them of the Resistances and Vulnerabilities of the various Fiendish Dragons who rule over the Fractured Lands.

Encounter 3:

Reward:
Alliance (enemy with information)
Obstacle: Difficult to Locate (purposefully hidden)
Signs: Signs and Carvings (signs naming a village that no longer exists)

While flying about, the characters start to notice odd floating cobblestones, and finally a sign floating in mid-air, held aloft by a propeller! It points to an old floating Modron City that long ago was destroyed by an eruption from an Acid Volcano below. However, in the direction the sign points, the characters notice a big, unnatural storm cloud, just floating there. It turns out one of the Air Genasi Pirates (enemies of the kingdom they're traveling to) was injured in a recent attack. They've hidden themselves inside a big summoned storm cloud. If the characters can locate the Pirate and give them healing, they'll give the characters a token of gratitude, which will be useful in any future encounters with Air Genasi Pirates!

Conclusion: Rewarding Exploration

My hope with this system is to create opportunities that reward players for exploring more, rather than focusing their efforts on mitigating costs.

So what do you think? Would this be useful?
I don't see a huge problem. I think the CORE thing that is going on here though is that 5e is just super generous with resources, such that the classic 1e resource game, whether dungeon or wilderness, is pretty much broken. Where it was critical for the PCs to manage resources and have a good idea where they were going or what their goals were back then, now you just proceed endlessly until and unless there's some challenge to overcome.

I guess I'm not sure about the rewards system. I mean, presumably exploring the wilderness is done so that you can find 'stuff' and acquire it. So I am not sure why players would avoid something, unless they have some specific agenda. Yeah, MAYBE a small reward will elicit some risk taking in that situation, but I'm not really sure I know why that is superior to just "get on to the place you were actually interested in."

And like I say, if the goal was simply exploration, then the PCs WILL EXPLORE, right? This is a less demanding activity than in 1e, but so it goes!

Anyway, the tables themselves are OK. They seem like a fairly decent "random wilderness walk" set. I presume there are also random encounter tables.

The way I run it, the main reward is the chance to find treasure hoards rolled from the random DMG tables appropriate to those random encounters. This means you can really get the jackpot. A random encounter with a troll lair gave our bard an fochlucan bandore and a couple other magic items I believe, in addition to the coin and gems.

It just occurred to me that that bears a strong resemblance to the jackpot random troll encounter in the Hobbit.

The key here is random treasure. DM doesn't decide. Rolls. Hmm. Rod of lordly might it is.

Now that's D&D to me.

The way I run it, the main reward is the chance to find treasure hoards rolled from the random DMG tables appropriate to those random encounters. This means you can really get the jackpot. A random encounter with a troll lair gave our bard an fochlucan bandore and a couple other magic items I believe, in addition to the coin and gems.

It just occurred to me that that bears a strong resemblance to the jackpot random troll encounter in the Hobbit.

The key here is random treasure. DM doesn't decide. Rolls. Hmm. Rod of lordly might it is.

Now that's D&D to me.
It was definitely classic AD&D 1e play. You saw a monster, you decided to go kill it, skin it, maybe eat it if it wasn't icky, and most important you got XP and treasure! What else were you out there for? If you're running from stuff, its because you're hurting, too weak to mess with it, or have urgent business elsewhere.

Seems to me that system can still work fine in 5e, granting it is easier to negate the basic environmental challenges. I mean, any decent 9th level party in 1e wouldn't worry about travel itself, not in the Prime Material anyway! They'd worry about the family of Ancient Huge Red Dragons that might come visiting you instead! lol.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It was definitely classic AD&D 1e play. You saw a monster, you decided to go kill it, skin it, maybe eat it if it wasn't icky, and most important you got XP and treasure! What else were you out there for? If you're running from stuff, its because you're hurting, too weak to mess with it, or have urgent business elsewhere.

Seems to me that system can still work fine in 5e, granting it is easier to negate the basic environmental challenges. I mean, any decent 9th level party in 1e wouldn't worry about travel itself, not in the Prime Material anyway! They'd worry about the family of Ancient Huge Red Dragons that might come visiting you instead! lol.

It was much much much more lethal than 5e too. That treasure could be spent on things to keep you & your friends alive if it wasn't already somehow useful to that end. That gets to 5e not having a magic item budget & near immortal PCs so either thy can't spent that treasure similarly or it maes the PCs much more powerful than they should be

It was much much much more lethal than 5e too. That treasure could be spent on things to keep you & your friends alive if it wasn't already somehow useful to that end. That gets to 5e not having a magic item budget & near immortal PCs so either thy can't spent that treasure similarly or it maes the PCs much more powerful than they should be
Well, I don't buy the 'near immortal PCs' thing, that's on the GM! If you want lethality BRING IT ON! I've played in 1e games that were extremely survivable. Ran some. Ran some that were meat grinders too. I mean, 4e was really rather geared away from 'oops you died', but 4th Core still had some stupid lethal adventures.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think the less that the system cares about gear, the harder it is to make exploration and travel interesting in an intricate way.

That's a conjecture, not a mathematical theorem, so I'm interested to hear counter-examples. I'm just reflecting on my own experience of various systems.

If gear (and I'm including vehicles here) doesn't matter, then I think exploration and travel tends to depend on endurance/travel checks to work out how tired the PCs are when they get to wherever it is they're going. That's fine, and is how I resolve plenty of travel scenarios, but it doesn't make the travel interesting or intricate in itself.
I’d say The One Ring does interesting exploration without relying on tracking resources.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Well, I don't buy the 'near immortal PCs' thing, that's on the GM! If you want lethality BRING IT ON! I've played in 1e games that were extremely survivable. Ran some. Ran some that were meat grinders too. I mean, 4e was really rather geared away from 'oops you died', but 4th Core still had some stupid lethal adventures.
Yea it's totally on the GM to nerf healing word, healing light, 1 point lay on hands, death saves, & damage beyond zero simply going away as long as it's not enough to bring someone to negative max hp, & the rest of phb197. You don't need to "buy" anything because that's just how the rules are & those rules make it a problem if you as the gm start giving the PCs things to raise PC power or mitigate lethality. That's the problem, as the "just enforce container sizes>limit containers allowed>just don't sell things" showed it's a never ending cascade of fixes.

pemerton

Legend
Yeah, exactly. I say: let the Goliath wipe out the need to keep track of encumbrance! Let the Outlander wipe out the need to keep track of rations! Let the Ranger prevent anything from ambushing the group! Let them be powerful!

AND add in incentives to encourage exploration!
Yes, I think your rationale is pretty clear.

I think your subsystem is a fun one. I don't think I share the presupposition that it sits within - a sort of "main quest"/"side quest"/"random encounter" framing of the activity in the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases