Rich beyond dreams (El Jefe Judging)

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: Can you describe the room that the dam is in again, plus a quick review of the path from there back to the well? Maybe there is some factor in the enviroment that can be used to our advantage in outrunning the flood, since it looks like that's nearly our only option. (Our only quick option at least.) Otherwise, we go topside and try to find some stuff that we can burn enough of to get the dam itself burning despite it's wetness. It would have to be a pretty big and hot firethough! Or, we can have the sailors go back topside with Lookspring (because he hates being wet) and Phoenix will volunteer to chop at the dam with her mind blade or punch holes in it to let the water out without breaking the dam maybe. Using her Psionic weapon feat she can do 3d6+3 which should cut through its hardness mostly. If it does break though, she would just have to do her best to outrun it and or swim back to the rope down the well. This scenario is why I'm wanting a description of the room/route again with an eye towards escaping quickly. What do you think, Selc? Any other ideas?

Last edited:

BigB

First Post
A large wooden dam rises up 15ft from the cavern floor. Along the top of the dam are several barriers. There is only a trickle of water seeping through the dam but you can hear heavy sounds of rushing water on the other side. The Dwarven construction is solid so destroying the dam won't be easy.

ooc: I will work on a simple map to show the layout.

Attachments

• detail dam area.JPG
    detail dam area.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
"Okay, Lookspring what do you think about this plan: I'll stay here at the dam and start trying to weaken it here," she points at the middle of the structure "while you take the sailors and go topside to gather burnable wood, grass, or whatever for a bonfire and throw it down the well. If we leave a couple of the sailors at the bottom of the well shaft, they can transport that stuff over here to the dam and start piling it up in the corners here away from the stream in the middle, so it all stays dry. Then, one of two things happens- either I manage to bring the dam down before we light the fire and me and the two best swimmers run our butts off to get to the well and get out, or it's weakened some by me and when we have the kindling stacked as high and deep as we can, we light it up and get out of here before the fire burns the logs away enough to breach the dam hopefully. We can watch and listen down the well while waiting to see if the fire does the trick. If after an hour or so there's no change, then we (or I) go back down and see what condition the dam is in and plan our next move."

Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"Something that explodes would be the best route though! Maybe the natives have some kind of oily palm leaf, or the captain might have some barrels of lantern oil. If not, like you said, we can start throwing debris down in and hope that the wood of the dam isn't too damp to catch fire. At least it won't be me down in the hole when the whole thing tears open and floods this place.
Let's send a runner to the villagers and see what they can provide us, meanwhile we'll throw wood and stuff down in here for you."

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC- Okay, so Phoenix stays down by the dam and starts using her mindblade to carve into the dam as best she can. Guessing at a hardness of 5 which is normal for wood, but as thick as it is, it'll have tons of HP's. She can do 3d6+3 then refocus to do 3d6+3 again, unless it's faster to hit it once every round with the regular 1d6+3. Whichever seems to do better. Obviously, if it get to the point of showing strain or likelyhood of breakage, she'll back off some and start lobbing her mindblade from range to give her a little more running room.

We'll send one sailor back to the village to ask them if they have anything that could be used to help us make a big boom. :) One or two sailors can stay down the well with Phoenix transporting wood thrown down to the dam. If the dam starts to go at any point and they are still down there, Phoenix will scream her lungs out yelling to give them as much time as possible to get up the rope ahead of her.

The other few sailors will help Lookspring to gather burnable stuff from the surrounding jungle to throw down the well.

Start all that in motion and let's see what happens from there... :uhoh:

Last edited:

BigB

First Post
As Lookspring and his band of merry men go to gather burnable stuff they see their pile of loot gathered at the well.
OOC: I assume they will begin hauling it up and out first

Phoenix begins hacking at a support for the dam. hacking and hacking and hacking her arm begins to tire but she keeps going and finally it begins to give way. The dam begins to bulge where the support has broken but does not break. Phoenix picks another support and more hacking and hacking and hacking as her arm is on fire burning with fatigue and finally it appears it may burst soon as she backs away and throws her mindblade. With a loud cracking sound as if lightning struck in the back of her mind she is hit with a wall of water.

strength check and swim check for phoenix.

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: Yes, we hauled all the loot up and out when the majority of the party went topside. ;)

Phoenix, her arm burning with fatigue, finally starts seeing signs of stress on the dam. She yells back down the tunnel to the sailors that have been ferrying the burnable materials from the well chamber, "Listen good, fellas! This thing is getting ready to go, so get your arses up that rope and topside before we find out how good you can swim!" Waiting just a bit to make sire that they have time to evacuate, Phoenix moves as far from the dam as she can while still being able to throw her mindblade at it. Holding her sore right arm up with her left hand, she charges the mindblade one more time and aims for the dam. Blasting the shard of mental energy out of her, she sees it splash against the surface and puncture the final barrier of the dam. The force of the water takes care of the rest as the whole thing comes apart faster than she could have believed. Before she's even able to turn and run, the wall of water explodes towards her and sweeps her up! Gulping what she hopes isn't her last breath of air, she does her best to swim with the current and go towards the chamber where the well exit is...
Phoenix Strength check and Swim check (1d20+3=23, 1d20+1=14)

OOC: Aww, man! I meant to post above that she would remove her armor before starting this, so her swim checks would be better by 2 points. But I didn't, so I guess I'll just have to suffer with a +1 swim check. What's the worst that could happen, she could drown and I start with new level 2 or 3 character! :confused: :uhoh: :\ :heh:

Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Lookspring calls for the sailors to grab hold of his rope. "Hang tight and start to pull if you feel anything grab hold. Maybe we can fish her out before she washes away. " Especially with all that valuable gear. He thinks to himself. He peers back down into the dark well trying to get a better look at the action, and to tell the sailors when to start pulling of course...

BigB

First Post
Phoenix braces against the force of water and defies the odds standing strong against the force of nature and manages to stay on her feet. The water is just over her waist but she is able to make her way to the rope.

Remove ads