D&D 5E Riddle Me This

It seems like you're trying to refute my clarification of another's poster's response to you, even though I explicitly said I'm not saying my view and I'm just (hopefully) clarifying for them. Is that what you're doing? Or are you quoting me for convenience and replying to them? Because if it's the latter, you might want to tag them in it.
The second thing. I'm expecting the other person will be following this thread, and see what I've written without having been tagged.

(Related question: How do you tag someone exactly?)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
The second thing. I'm expecting the other person will be following this thread, and see what I've written without having been tagged.

(Related question: How do you tag someone exactly?)
  1. "mention" [in brackets, like this]
  2. Then you write their name.
  3. Then "/mention" [in brackets]

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
now to all the DMs that wont let you make an Int check to solve a riddle, how would you respond to using obviously out of game advantages (the internet) to get it?

I'd combine both systems: succeed on an Intelligence check and I'll let you google the answer. ;}

the Jester

Legend
now to all the DMs that wont let you make an Int check to solve a riddle, how would you respond to using obviously out of game advantages (the internet) to get it?

I don't allow it and I don't play with jerks who cheat. If someone does cheat on the riddle like that, their answer is invalid, the group is punished by being unable to answer that riddle successfully, ever, and peer pressure will ensure it never happens again.

Woas

First Post
Straight up real-world puzzles and riddles I avoid. But in game 'physical' puzzles ala Metroid, and Legend of Zelda I am a fan of.

Nytmare

David Jose
Personally, I am a huge fan of both riddles and puzzles, but I have learned over the last third of a century to use them sparingly in games. Nowadays, if I have one, it serves no purpose other than as a short cut from point A to point B, and it's something that can happen in the background and not get in the way of the rest of the game.

I also tend to focus them specifically towards players who will enjoy them. Like giving actual physical puzzle boxes to a puzzle-crazy friend who was playing a thief, in lieu of making a check to open a special chest or lock.

Eric V

Hero
I don't allow it and I don't play with jerks who cheat. If someone does cheat on the riddle like that, their answer is invalid, the group is punished by being unable to answer that riddle successfully, ever, and peer pressure will ensure it never happens again.

I agree, but it's hard to know when one's game is run online... :/

I have pretty much had to give up riddles for that reason...or make my own.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Why does every riddle need to be solved right away? What's wrong with the characters seeking out sages and doing research to solve certain puzzles and riddles? Personally I like to include some of each because it provides a little variety in the game. Everything in moderation, of course.

Remove ads