D&D 5E Rime of The Frost Maiden Ring Hunter

Dogo

Power of The Pup
So I have been reading through Rime of The Frost Maiden and I read about the Ring Hunter secret. What is this ring, and why is it being hunted down? From what I understand it is a Signet Ring, but what is it a Signet Ring of? Is it a faction ring? I plan on running the game, and I haven’t read the entire book, so if it’s on a page explaining it, could someone type in the page number? Thanks In Advance!

TheSword

Legend
It can be whatever you want, but I believe in the book, it’s a signet ring that enables the collection of an inheritance.

TheSword

Legend
I’ve decided when I run it, I’m going to mix the secrets into groups. The ones that are troublesome or disadvantageous (assassins after you) will grant +1 point for stats.

The host secret will gain +3 points for ability stats. On the understanding the tadpole will hatch. They will be able to have a character at that point with also with the +3 stats and similar equipment.

jasper

Rotten DM
It gives you advantage when fishing for knucklehead trout.
It doesn't but the backstory of the trout eating a pc's dad's finger. The player ask for this. And I thought you were asking for some homebrew additions. Signet Rings are mainly by nobles to seal/authorize documents. So the pc could be from a fallen noble house.

Dogo

Power of The Pup
It doesn't but the backstory of the trout eating a pc's dad's finger. The player ask for this. And I thought you were asking for some homebrew additions. Signet Rings are mainly by nobles to seal/authorize documents. So the pc could be from a fallen noble house.
Ok. It just seemed odd that there was no explanation with it. If a player draws this then depending on there backstory I will modify the ring.

The ring is a plot McGuffin (and in-joke). It doesn't do anything other than allow the character to establish their identity, outside of the scope of the adventure. It is meant to suggest the player character has an obsession. It's a horror trope that a character with an obsession leads the group into danger.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The obvious signet ring is nobility. Merchant house is also possible.
The ring could be a fancy / gaudy / garish wedding ring.
It could be a formerly-magic ring with no charges left.

If the PC finds it early, there may be a lock where pressing the signet against a pad will open the door. This ring looks ordinary now but it used to be important.

Remove ads